NK nuclear test site tunnel collapse kills up to 200 workers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You guys believe this crap? The only way the US knows about such a collapse is satellite data. How would they know how many workers died from that?

US has no intelligence on the ground in the DPRK. CIA is too busy dicking around with Al-Qaeda in Syria to be bothered with risking their lives in this country. It's possible that 200 workers died... but I would take any of these casualty estimates with a huge grain of salt. We simply do not know wtf is going on in this country. US media is happy to throw around this kind of propaganda and if you haven't noticed one the past decade they've been wrong more than they've been right about North Korea.

Care to explain how US news agencies got casualty figures from a tunnel collapse in the middle of a North Korean mountain?

Oh wait you're just trolling. Carry on then.

Just read the OP's article. US media got this information from Japanese and SK news reports. That this was the source is easily verifiable. How the source media got this information, I do not know. Call it propaganda if you will, but our media is not the source.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You realize that Elon Musk is actually a huge proponent of building "down" not up? And believes the future of our travel is in tunnels?

Are you alleging that Elon Musk is an NK agent?
He stole the plans from the Dwarves who built the Deeprun Tram.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Just read the OP's article. US media got this information from Japanese and SK news reports. That this was the source is easily verifiable. How the source media got this information, I do not know. Call it propaganda if you will, but our media is not the source.

South Korean media about North Korea is propaganda. They have no idea how many died, but it serves a purpose to claim they do.

This collapse was reported on weeks ago and nobody cared. Then, to spice things up, they re-intorduce the story with added casualty figures. No explanation for where the information came from or how they got it, just claims. Credulous Americans like yourself believe it without a bit of skepticism.

If you haven't noticed, US media is completely unreliable and mostly propaganda when it comes to reporting on foreign countries. It has always been this way, because Americans actually don't care that much about foreign countries or foreign people. This lack of caring allows for liberties to be taken (see: syrian civil war and 'assad must go' and the support for terrorists).

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
You guys believe this crap? The only way the US knows about such a collapse is satellite data. How would they know how many workers died from that?

US has no intelligence on the ground in the DPRK. CIA is too busy dicking around with Al-Qaeda in Syria to be bothered with risking their lives in this country. It's possible that 200 workers died... but I would take any of these casualty estimates with a huge grain of salt. We simply do not know wtf is going on in this country. US media is happy to throw around this kind of propaganda and if you haven't noticed one the past decade they've been wrong more than they've been right about North Korea.

Thermal satellites.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
South Korean media about North Korea is propaganda. They have no idea how many died, but it serves a purpose to claim they do.

This collapse was reported on weeks ago and nobody cared. Then, to spice things up, they re-intorduce the story with added casualty figures. No explanation for where the information came from or how they got it, just claims. Credulous Americans like yourself believe it without a bit of skepticism.

If you haven't noticed, US media is completely unreliable and mostly propaganda when it comes to reporting on foreign countries. It has always been this way, because Americans actually don't care that much about foreign countries or foreign people. This lack of caring allows for liberties to be taken (see: syrian civil war and 'assad must go' and the support for terrorists).

I said not one word about whether I believe the story or not. What I said is that if it's propaganda, it isn't propaganda of the US media. Not only is the original source from far eastern media, but look how USA Today reported it:

Up to 200 workers could have been killed after a tunnel collapsed at North Korea’s nuclear test site, according to a media report.

Japanese broadcaster TV Asahi said around 100 people were trapped when the unfinished tunnel caved in at the Punggye-ri site, which lies south of the Mantapsan mountain, 50 miles from the border with China.

The Telegraph reported that the incident occurred on Oct. 10, citing South Korean news agency Yonhap.

Another 100 people could have died in a second collapse as they attempted to rescue their trapped colleagues, TV Asahi reported.

The report couldn’t be verified by USA TODAY.

This is a legitimate story for US press to report on cautiously. I see nothing wrong with USA Today's reporting here.

As to the accuracy of SK and Japanese media, I have no idea. And I suspect neither do you.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Infrared satellites cannot see into tunnels. IR radiation does not penetrate rocks and soil.

They could have deduced the number based on the the number of heat signatures ABOVE GROUND.

Hence why it would take multiple weeks to find out the number of casualties. I would guess that they noticed approximately 200 heat signatures were not showing up as usual, and deduced that it was related to the tunnel collapse.

Either way 200 people are gone, and it is likely because of the tunnel collapse. We would have heard about a mass execution from other sources.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
They could have deduced the number based on the the number of heat signatures ABOVE GROUND.

Hence why it would take multiple weeks to find out the number of casualties. I would guess that they noticed approximately 200 heat signatures were not showing up as usual, and deduced that it was related to the tunnel collapse.

Either way 200 people are gone, and it is likely because of the tunnel collapse. We would have heard about a mass execution from other sources.

Or maybe South Korean media has sources on the ground in NK. It could be as simple as that.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Was it 126 million fake facebook accounts? Brandon, you might be on the verge of being called out, an option is here to bow out gracefully. Log out.
Maybe not like your comrade here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3PylR_S3S4

Sorry that your Democrat elitist Zuckerturd can't control his communist buddies from making fake accounts. FYI, lots of accounts on social media are fake and run by bots. Sounds like someone has read a recent Hillary Clinton book and thinks that the Russians "hacked the election". Not sure why you are interrupting the adults, but I think someone needs to review the parental controls settings on your computer.