Nintendo Wii modchip arrives ...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Link

That link has some more links to more information. I can't view the videos here from work, but apparently the thing is the real deal. That was pretty damn quick if it's true.

Considering it's pretty much GC hardware though, I can see how it was done so quick.

EDIT

Looks like this is for real. A 2nd modchip is already in development and will be available pretty quickly after the Wiinja, and it's wireless as well.

Cyclowiz

EDIT2:

So I installed my Wiinja Deluxe last night.

Taking the Wii apart is definitely a process. The thing about the deluxe chip is that is has an extra wire that must be soldered to the motherboard, where as the other 5 wires (and most chips only have these 5 wires) are soldered to the dvdrom.

And let me tell you. It's very tediuos to take the wii apart to the motherboard, and even at that point, the 1 wire that I Had to solder to the motherboard was a PITA to actually get soldered, but I eventually did it.

After about 2 hours of taking apart/soldering/putting back together my Wii it was time to test it out, and right away I booted up with a back-up of zelda that I made of my copy.

And sure enough, it loaded up just fine :)

Now I have to grab some of the homebrew stuff, and apparently there is a DVD player out there (or in the works atleast).

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i don't even have a wii yet

Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
At the risk of seeming Noobish, what does it do?

lets you play pirated games, it claims. oh, everyone will say 'backups' but we all know you didn't really back that game up.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: GuitarDaddy
At the risk of seeming Noobish, what does it do?

- First Wii Modchip
- Run your own region (PAL/NTSC) Wii backups directly
- Run your own region (PAL/NTSC) GC Backups directly
- 5 Cables to solder
- Easy Installation
- Modchip not upgradable

It looks A LOT like the way the Xbox360 firmware hack works. It doesn't look like it allows homebrew or other regions, which is the same thing the 360 firmware does.

Toastedlightly

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2004
Hmm... sounds interesting. I'm going to practice my soldering skills on my friends PS2 to get more songs on GH2, so this sounds like a worthwhile 2nd project.

Jan 31, 2002
Wow, they actually videotaped a cable-trace. This could be legit. :Q

Edit - Hold the F up, that's a VCR-TV combo. Show a video without a tape in the drive, and do a walkaround to prove lack of alternate inputs.

- M4H

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
wow that was fast.

soo should we expect some homebrew type stuff for the system soon? or what?

really want my baby seal bashin game =(

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: waggy
wow that was fast.

:laugh:

If this is legit, you better believe I'll be on that ASAP. :D

- M4H

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Looking forward to being able to play imports, Japan is going to put out some crazy Wii games.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: randomlinh
this sounds like it coudl be easily twarted by a firmware update. it would be nice to be able to burn another copy of Wii Sports... I've almost broken mine.. heh

But, but, modchips are only for Teh Pyratez! No one ever backs up their discs for a legitimate purpose or writes their own code for fun!

:roll:

- M4H

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
wow that was fast.

- M4H

According to the specs of what the chip does, it doesn't look like it has anything to do w/running unsigned code on the Wii actually. But you never know ...

*cough* check out the wii section in my sig *cough*

/shameless plug

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: randomlinh
this sounds like it coudl be easily twarted by a firmware update. it would be nice to be able to burn another copy of Wii Sports... I've almost broken mine.. heh

yeah i would like to be able make backups of the games that my daugher plays all the time. so she does not ruin them.

i made a backup of all her music cd's. when one is all scratched up i just burn another one.

granted i am trying to teach her how to handle them correctly. but hell she is only 4 yrs old.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: purbeast0
wow that was fast.

- M4H

According to the specs of what the chip does, it doesn't look like it has anything to do w/running unsigned code on the Wii actually. But you never know ...

/shameless plug

True enough. It's probably just another inline media fakeout, a la 360.

But I'm raising the BS flag on this one anyways.

- M4H

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0
wow that was fast.

- M4H

/shameless plug

True enough. It's probably just another inline media fakeout, a la 360.

But I'm raising the BS flag on this one anyways.

- M4H

I dunno man, the site selling the chips is a very reputable site. I know quite a few people too who are backing the claim that this is real. I have talked to the guy who is in charge of Xecuter (the main chip for the xbox) and I'm hearing that this guy is vouching for the truth in this Wii chip.

But only time will tell for sure.

ajf3

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
I thought the nintendo discs spin differently or something so that you can't burn them on a PC? If not, what kind of discs are used?

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Will have to pick up a second Wii to mod while leaving one for online play. Also waiting for my R4 Revolution of the DS to ship :)

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: eelw
Will have to pick up a second Wii to mod while leaving one for online play. Also waiting for my R4 Revolution of the DS to ship :)

can you even turn off the wireless? all its gonna take is for your neighbor to install an open wireless router and your wii to automagically connect in the middle of the night and bam!