Nintendo to release "Classic Mini" with 30 games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
Unless this mNES offers something like this, I don't think I'll be interested:
retrorgb.com/hidefnes.html

Lately I'm on a real kick to get the best image quality out of my emulated games.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
lol @ the brits that aren't even getting all the cables they NEED to USE the machine.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Unless this mNES offers something like this, I don't think I'll be interested:
retrorgb.com/hidefnes.html

Lately I'm on a real kick to get the best image quality out of my emulated games.
It does have HDMI. It's like taking 30 games from the Wii U's Virtual Console and packing the essentials into a dedicated box. The Wii U's HDMI output for emulated NES games is already thoroughly discussed:
https://youtu.be/r3QNALuSkLA

Here is the correct link for Hi-Def NES:
https://www.game-tech.us/

I actually own one but I'm still getting this. :)

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Shoot an emulator is free...
And illegal.
Emulators themselves are not illegal, and there is nothing morally wrong about emulating games that you own legitimately.

If you want to get technical, not all emulators are free. I don't just mean commercial emulators like Virtual Game Boy and Bleem!, but commercial emulators exist inside other products all the time (Pokemon Stadium 2 with Transfer Pak, Rogue Squadron III Preview Disc, Zelda Collector's Edition, Fight Night Round 2 on GameCube, Virtual Console, etc).

You're being disingenuous because you know Dredd was advocating emulators with downloaded ROMs as an alternative and Juju was pointing out that it isn't legal to just download ROMs you don't own. It's literally like telling everyone not to pay for a movie because you can download a movie for free.

I have been emulating games I own since the VGB/NESticle days, often dumping my own copies of games using hardware like Prodessor SF/V64/GB Xchanger/EEPROM programmers so I usually take your side of the issue, but let's be clear:
We know that neither was talking about emulators in a vacuum.

I actually use a Kazoo for dumping my original NES games without pulling the chips, though I'd love to have a rooted Retron 5 for that.

I hemmed and hawed about how to respond to his statement while still being correct since I know that he worded it wrong but I deliberately chose to respond to the understood meaning instead of wasting time explaining why he was right/wrong about emulators for emulation being "free." Somehow, you went there and somehow stayed just as wrong about it as him! ;)

Last edited:

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
A lot of back and forth going on in here, but I guess I'm just surprised to how many are sitting here treating this thing like the Nintendo holy grail while it's essentially a bargain bin "30 in 1 mega pack!" for $60. Great for all of you who are excited for it :)

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
A lot of back and forth going on in here, but I guess I'm just surprised to how many are sitting here treating this thing like the Nintendo holy grail while it's essentially a bargain bin "30 in 1 mega pack!" for $60. Great for all of you who are excited for it :)

We aren't under any delusions. I've been saying all along that it's basically Nintendo's HDMI version of an Atari Flashback 6. If they can charge $50 for a Flashback 6 with composite video output and a bunch of crap games then surely Nintendo can charge $10 more with HDMI and a killer list of titles. It's about as good a list as could be reasonably imagined, considering licensing and future offerings. The Flashback's crappy line-of-sight, limited-range, wireless IR controllers that you have to point awkwardly are worse than wired controllers, which will look/feel authentic, at least. The Flashback uses them literally because they are cheaper than including wired controllers after relocating some of the functions.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Not sure how that's interesting. They changed it to Punch-Out!! ft. Mr. Dream back in the NES days and their reasons still apply today (no license and negative association). I recall a friend who was desperate to get the game around 1990 but his parents would not buy it for him due to Mike Tyson's rape conviction. When Nintendo let the license lapse and changed it, he was finally able to get the game. Obviously, they weren't the only ones.

Since then Tyson has gotten in even more controversy. Unless they plan to add ear-biting to the game, it's entirely expected and uninteresting that they didn't use the Tyson version.

Haven't they always done this despite endless criticism for it?

Yes, it has save/resume for every game. This is like a "Best of Virtual Console" collection packaged like an Atari Flashback 6 or something.

I do wonder if it might have wireless Wii Remote support for wireless. Those controller ports are the Nunchuk/Classic Controller ports from a standard Wii Remote.

https://youtu.be/Xuw6EZdj2tE
I don't think so at all. It's HDMI.

Same here. Nintendo's been making emulators for a long time but I always find issues they miss. On the Wii Virtual Console, for example:
The ending of Ninja Gaiden is glitched. The castle pieces that fall off are duplicated leaving a fully-intact castle left behind.
The swinging vines in Donkey Kong Country are glitched. They keep swinging when you pause the game, making your character snap to a different location when you unpause.

That would be cool but Microsoft owns Rare. :(

Uhh... duh?
They're even available on the original cartridges.
9cf20e19c6fe51419e44281e997e0d02.jpg

I wasn't going to get up and move the couch to get the last third in the pic. ;)

Angry video game nerd? Is that you?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Angry video game nerd? Is that you?
I wish I had his MUCH more complete collection. I'm only around 500 NES. :( A lot of good stuff in there but the only truly rare NES game I ever had was a prototype of Xexyz that I sold last year before buying a standard retail copy for $10.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
This is cool, but don't want. If I WERE to get it, I'd gut it and emulate and get the games I want....which maybe I'll do....but meh, too many games, not enough lifetime.

The sad thing is, I really wish they'd made this online, upgradable, flashable, something. I get the feeling they are going to start rolling these out like those damn toys they've been pushing.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Then why does the Atari Flashback 6 exist?

As you already pointed out about their last two systems, they already have all that. Also, Virtual Console exists on the 3DS, so that's three Internet-connected platforms.

Obviously it's not "so difficult" since they've already done that. This is tangental. If anything, they are going to want to sell a mini-NES 2, mini-NES 3, etc, just like the Atari Flashback series. Having a fixed set of games makes sense in that context.

I almost expect a mini-Famicom and mini NES-101 and such too. The mini-Fami for the US market can have games that were never released here, like Super Mario Bros 2 (J)/For Super Players/The Lost Levels, Earthbound Beginnings, Devil World, Mr. Gimmick, etc. They can make one for collectors who can't afford the particularly expensive titles like Mega Man, Mega Man 5, Contra Force, DuckTales 2, etc. Unicorns like Stadium Events, Nintendo World Championships, and similar would probably never happen for other reasons (Power Pad game that's the same as World Class Track Meet, Tetris license required, etc). Some of those expensive Taito games like Power Blade II, Little Samson, etc but anything with an additional license (Flintstones Dinosaur Peak, Jetsons Cogswell's Caper) likely wouldn't. Bucky O'Hare, Batman, New Ghostbusters II (currently EU/JP only), etc have the same problem.
Yeah I have seen that in stores for years. Reviews on Amazon seem pretty negative too. Atari isn't even making consoles and that flashback is cool but I wouldn't buy it.. They could do whatever they want. Im not saying it shouldn't exist.
I'm not saying there isn't a market for it here. just saying if Nintendo marketed a retro console that played everything from NES, SNES and GameCube with Internet access to Download games it would sell like hot cakes. Highly doubt this would ruin sales of new consoles either..

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I'm not saying there isn't a market for it here. just saying if Nintendo marketed a retro console that played everything from NES, SNES and GameCube with Internet access to Download games it would sell like hot cakes. Highly doubt this would ruin sales of new consoles either..
That's called "the Nintendo Wii." It's been available since November 19th, 2006. ;)

Last edited:

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
That's called "the Nintendo Wii." It's been available since November 19th, 2006. ;)

Yes and no. It does that but as a feature. Its not built solely for old games. When that system came out and for quiet some time not all of the older games from the NES, SNES were available. Don't even know if any Game Cube games play on it. I got rid of that console a while ago.

I get what you're saying.. Im talking about right now, 2016 what would be nice with the Classic Mini.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Gamecube works great on Wii. I caught up on some great games I missed since I skipped that console.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Can't connect this system to the internet, can't add on any game onto it. Those are the two biggest cons for this system.

<<<------------ played the original NES way back in the mid to late 80s.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Yes and no. It does that but as a feature. Its not built solely for old games. When that system came out and for quiet some time not all of the older games from the NES, SNES were available. Don't even know if any Game Cube games play on it. I got rid of that console a while ago.

I get what you're saying.. Im talking about right now, 2016 what would be nice with the Classic Mini.

As long as you realize the cost savings over a Wii wouldn't be spectacular at all.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

...or a Wii U. It has Virtual Console with HDMI and Internet library. The miniNES controllers even work with it.

FYI: Most Wii's have GameCube ports. The Wii U needs software hacks but they sell an official USB GameCube adapter for the ports.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
This is cool, but don't want. If I WERE to get it, I'd gut it and emulate and get the games I want....which maybe I'll do....but meh, too many games, not enough lifetime.

The sad thing is, I really wish they'd made this online, upgradable, flashable, something. I get the feeling they are going to start rolling these out like those damn toys they've been pushing.

I can see them releasing multiple versions of this thing, each with different titles installed. By the time you get all the games you want you'd be spending a couple hundred bux.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
That dusty old NES in your attic might be rife with nostalgic memories, but it's a pain to drag out of its box whenever you get the hankering for a rousing game of Super Mario Bros. 3.

this made me laugh.

really?

is it that hard to setup something that requires power and video?

i guess this little box runs on unicorn farts.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
this made me laugh.

really?

is it that hard to setup something that requires power and video?

i guess this little box runs on unicorn farts.

The other issue I have is the old consoles were made when CRT was the technology of the day for TVs. Today's TVs make those games look pretty bad. Not from a graphics standpoint of course but the games just don't really look right. Plus today's TVs have much higher input lag in general.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
...or a Wii U. It has Virtual Console with HDMI and Internet library. The miniNES controllers even work with it.

FYI: Most Wii's have GameCube ports. The Wii U needs software hacks but they sell an official USB GameCube adapter for the ports.

There are games on this thing that aren't on Virtual Console though plus the cost of the WiiU and buying a console that is DOA as of next year.