Nintendo to post unexpected loss as Wii successor falters

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
When i heard it was going to be only marginally more powerful than the current gen which is 8 years old, i quickly lost interest. I didn't think they'd be able to repeat Wii magic either. Not entirely surprised. They need a killer ap.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
wii u is total ass because there are no first party nintendo brand games out on the console that are "must haves" and that is all that nintendo consoles are good for. 3rd party devs are not flocking to the wii u because the wii sucked for third parties after the initial gimmick wore off.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Nintendo usually sucks for 3rd parties because people buy a Nintendo system to play Nintendo software. They needed to release a killer Mario, Zelda etc. game to sell the system. ZombieU doesn't cut it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I watched the Saints Row 4 trailer, and I thought it was amusing that at the end, the WiiU was nowhere to be found. :p

wii u is total ass because there are no first party nintendo brand games out on the console that are "must haves" and that is all that nintendo consoles are good for. 3rd party devs are not flocking to the wii u because the wii sucked for third parties after the initial gimmick wore off.

There's really nothing more annoying than when a developer tries to tack on useless motion controls. I also think it really hurt Nintendo when Microsoft's Kinect gained traction. Kinect may have its own cons, but it turns some games that are a bit more awkward (i.e. Just Dance) into a much more effective gaming experience.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
The way I see motion control is that it sucks, we all know it sucks, but Nintendo came out with it years before MS/Sony (notwithstanding some earlier efforts on previous gens that went nowhere). So Nintendo came out with this novel gimmick and packaged it in the cheapest console that was around and people lapped it up like pigs to slop.

Heck even Nintendo knows motion control sucks, which is why it didn't even bother with it in the U. As far as I'm concerned the Wii sucked (its motion control was soooo freaking terrible) and Nintendo dodged a bullet with it anyway (Wii sold way more than it ever should have), so I hope it doesn't feel bad if the U ends up being a catastrophe.

The U's gimmick is not terribly interesting and so you're left with a $300 console that's no faster than a 360/ps3 and for which no games exist and which is going to be eclipsed this year by true next gen consoles.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
The U's gimmick is not terribly interesting and so you're left with a $300 console that's no faster than a 360/ps3 and for which no games exist and which is going to be eclipsed this year by true next gen consoles.

This is by far the biggest problem I see facing the WiiU, and the exact same thing happened with the Wii.

It's vastly underpowered out of the gate, and relies on a gimmick. Well why is that bad? Because as the generation progresses and the graphics gap increases, 3rd parties are going to be basically porting their games to the PS4 and Xbox 720 without issue, but it's going to be a giant hassle to gimp the game and port it to the WiiU. Not in all cases, but I'd imagine a good many won't even be attempted, or will be seriously lacking in many ways compared to the PS4/Xbox entries.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
This is by far the biggest problem I see facing the WiiU, and the exact same thing happened with the Wii.

It's vastly underpowered out of the gate, and relies on a gimmick. Well why is that bad? Because as the generation progresses and the graphics gap increases, 3rd parties are going to be basically porting their games to the PS4 and Xbox 720 without issue, but it's going to be a giant hassle to gimp the game and port it to the WiiU. Not in all cases, but I'd imagine a good many won't even be attempted, or will be seriously lacking in many ways compared to the PS4/Xbox entries.
They won't bother, just as today the best games are not ported to the Wii.

The Wii was often purchased for children because it was cheap. The U is not cheap and needs to drop price quickly if it wants to successfully capture a lot of the low end market like the Wii has done.

I've seen damn little marketing on this, haven't seen a commercial in a long time.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005

The Wii was often purchased for children because it was cheap. The U is not cheap and needs to drop price quickly if it wants to successfully capture a lot of the low end market like the Wii has done.

I've seen damn little marketing on this, haven't seen a commercial in a long time.

A price cut without unique games to buy (that aren't already on the 360/PS3) does nothing.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003

I would imagine , and would almost be willing to bet, that within a month or so of the next gen consoles being "officially" unveiled, Nintendo will be announcing a significant price drop on the WiiU, as well as likely a glimpse at one of their "powerhouse" franchise remakes coming soon.

I think that's their only hope at this point. I think right now has to be one of the worst times ever to buy a console, specifically a WiiU.