Nintendo to post unexpected loss as Wii successor falters

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by SandEagle, Jan 30, 2013.

1. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

2. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

3. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

i also blame it on the fact that nintendo couldn't bank on a gimmicky console to help them this time. i'd say the wii's gimmick is better than the wii u's gimmick.

everyone saw how bad the wii actually was after it was out for a couple years. tie that in with the high launch price (compared to wii) and no game included, it means that the casual gamers who paid $250 for a wii-sports package isn't going to be spending $350 this time around.

there was also no shortage of wii u's (whether wii's shortage was manufactured or not is up for debate) so that didn't make it a "must have" or impulse buy when you did see them in stock.

4. Sulaco

Sulaco Diamond Member

Unexpected...to who? I saw this coming a mile away. I think most people kind of did.

It's no secret that consoles generally always lose money the first several years after release, the exception being the first Wii because it was so cheap to produce. That's not the case this time around.
    Factor in tepid adoption rates, weak software sales, and virtually ZERO hype and "buzz" surrounding it compared to the Wii, and it's not the least bit surprising.

The Wii U was the first major console release that didn't tempt me in the slightest. Nothing about it was appealing, at least from a software standpoint (the reason I buy consoles). New SMB 2 was also available on the 3DS, and Zombie U looks...bleh. And that's it. Quite literally.
    The N64 launched with only two games: Mario 64 and Pilotwings. The difference being one of those was profoundly awe inspiring and arguably the greatest game ever made up to that point when it was released.

I'll take another look when they actually have a library worth mentioning, whenever that is, but this is starting to look like another typical Nintendo outing of late.

#4 Sulaco, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  5. Anarchist420

Anarchist420 Diamond Member

Good maybe they'll quit making consoles.

6. Tweak155

Tweak155 Lifer

This.

However when a Zelda is released, I'll likely buy it just for that.

7. exdeath

exdeath Lifer

Good, as much as it hurts to say.

Tired of spending $300+ and wasting space and outlets for 3 games, not to mention 480p upscaling looks like trash.

I'd love to have Zelda/Mario/Metroid on PS or FPSBox.

8. Josh123

Josh123 Diamond Member

Hopefully this will bring the price down. I might look at getting one when that happens.

9. cbrunny

cbrunny Diamond Member

That would be a happy, happy day. Sega did it, Nintendo should follow suit.

That being said, their handhelds seem to be doing well. Perhaps they should focus more on that market.

10. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

yea. if the wii u was like $200 i would probably get one just to get one. no way at $350, and no way i'd get the basterdized version for $300.

11. PricklyPete

PricklyPete Lifer

Was not interested in Wii and certainly not the Wii U. People learned there lesson with the last gimmick.

12. MetalMat

MetalMat Diamond Member

There is no way that Nintendo could have thought that the wii u would even come close the the success of the wii. The Wii was in the right place at the right time with the right gimmick, Nintendo had to know that the same people that bought a Wii would not bite a second time. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me

13. MetalMat

MetalMat Diamond Member

I don't own a 3DS but I tried one out at a best buy a few months ago and played some Mario Kart on it. I ain't gonna lie, that thing is pretty sweet.

14. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

i got suckered into it only because i'm a fool for mario. i gave away the wii and have a 3ds and wii u collecting dust. *bangs head on wall*

15. MetalMat

MetalMat Diamond Member

I don't think that people got "suckered" into the wii, I had a bunch of fun at buddies places getting drunk and playing wii sports 4-6 years back. But when you look beyond that it was pretty limited unless you were a huge fan of the Nintendo first party titles or someone that just plays the casual games every so often.

16. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

Wii sold because it was cheap and had the motion control going for it and ads showing people all around the TV having a grand old time.

Contrast with this, no such compelling technological advance and with a poor game selection and hardware performance similar to [soon to be] last gen consoles the hardcore gamers are not so easily duped. Plus it isn't cheap.

It has more in common with 360 and pa3 than their successors IMO.

#16 Doppel, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  17. khel

khel Senior member

Getting wii u once the new xeno game come out

18. Venom20

Venom20 Senior member

^ this

19. Aikouka

Aikouka Lifer

I'd buy the deluxe Wii U for $250, but every time I consider it at $350, I end up telling myself that it's a bad idea. I'm sure that I would enjoy playing the new Mario game, and... well, that's about it. :p

Honestly, I just need to get around to setting up the Dolphin emulator on my HTPC. I specifically built it to be able to handle games but not be too noisy in doing it, and why get a Wii U that only upscales Wii games when Dolphin will render them at 1080p?

You mentioned a constrast with the Wii U, but you left off the biggest contrast of them all! What's the strongest selling point that I've heard about the Wii U from geeks? That you can take the tablet controller around with you and play games on it while someone else is using your TV. In other words, it lets you avoid playing with others! :p

20. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

I thought the same thing, but I had a hell of a time getting any game running properly through dolphin. I only played a couple before giving up, but for example Super Mario Galaxy 2 had a glitch after the first boss that froze the game and never saved progress. Other games had different problems, but none of them ran properly. My wii looks terrible stretched out on my 1080p TV but at least the games run properly.

21. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

i was going to play some DKCR this weekend on my 120" screen lol ... but it would look awful.

22. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Lifer

I bought a Wii for SUper Mario Galaxy. Then I got Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Zelda: Skyward Sword. That was it. Seriously...

I don't see myself buying a more expensive Wiiu for the same thing. Not unless the new 3D mario is a perfect 10 and Zelda too.

As for people saying you can take the tablet controller and play games without the TV. The battery doesn't last long enough IMO and there are actual handheld games I'd rather play on Vita or 3Ds.

23. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

True, but a real, honest to goodness geek has a dedicated TV anyway, so nobody would ever get in the way of his gaming!

24. sao123

sao123 Lifer

nintendo should know by now, that Zelda is a must have for a luanch title if any of their consoles are to sell.

The only reason to buy a console on launch day is for exclusive titles.

25. crisium

crisium Golden Member

Luckily Dolphin does DKCR just fine. And boy does it look great in 1920x1080. They really did a fine job utilizing the Wii's meager resources, and HD really let's that show.