Nintendo releases "New" 3DS XL Galaxy

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Ylrc5Ey.jpg

http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...new-3ds-xl-coming-this-week-to-north-america/

Available now for $200 at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-New...Nintendo+New+Galaxy+Style+New+Nintendo+3DS+XL

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Can't watch the video... anything special about it other than the outer design?

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Good lord, this generation.

There are nearly as many hardware "refreshes" and remakes and ports as there are quality new games.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Good lord, this generation.

There are nearly as many hardware "refreshes" and remakes and ports as there are quality new games.
Umm there were tons of hardware refreshes/revisions before this generation of games. Nintendo is notorious for hardware refreshes/revisions.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Umm there were tons of hardware refreshes/revisions before this generation of games. Nintendo is notorious for hardware refreshes/revisions.

I notice you completely left out the obvious lack of much quality/original software, which was the main thrust of the post in the first place.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

I think a better way to put it is there's more this gen than actual games....or good games for that matter.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013

Much of the time, those refreshes have very little impact. This particular 3DS is just a new skin on existing hardware. I'm fine with that. The "New" 3DS in general, though, is a bit different for me. Especially after Hyrule Warriors demonstrated so well that now a customer has to worry if their game will be acceptable on the older SKU.

But back this "reputation" of Nintendo's, feel free to complete my information if it's lacking.

Home consoles:
Wii U: Two different launch SKU's, no refreshes or revisions that I'm aware of.
Wii: One notable hardware refresh, at least one other to make a change to the DVD drive that only affected modders. An eventual new color.
Gamecube: Just colors as far as I know.
N64: Just colors as far as I know.
SNES: One notable hardware refresh right at the end of the generation. Different looking hardware for different regions, though.
NES: One notable hardware refresh right at the end of the generation. I think the hardware might have looked different in different regions.

Portables:
They do have much more of rep in the portable space for making significant enough changes in a small enough window that it can get infuriating.
Gameboy: Stayed the same for a very long time, then lightning transitions to Gameboy Pocket, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, and the various different form factors of GBA SP hardware, all while constantly releasing new colors for the hardware.
Nintendo DS: Transitioned to DSL after about a year, maybe two. DSL stuck around for a good while, with some new colors. I feel like there was a large DS at some some point, but I don't remember. Then came the DSi, I owned one but apparently no one else in the world did.
Nintendo 3DS: It stuck around for a couple years, I think there may have been one hardware revision, to change the aesthetics before the 3DS XL. Then came the 2DS and now the "New" 3DS, with different colors and skins throughout.

So, I guess you're not wrong, but it should be qualified that it really applies to handhelds and not really Nintendo as a whole. They probably change their home consoles the least of any other company.

Feb 25, 2011
Much of the time, those refreshes have very little impact. This particular 3DS is just a new skin on existing hardware. I'm fine with that. The "New" 3DS in general, though, is a bit different for me. Especially after Hyrule Warriors demonstrated so well that now a customer has to worry if their game will be acceptable on the older SKU.

But back this "reputation" of Nintendo's, feel free to complete my information if it's lacking.

Home consoles:
Wii U: Two different launch SKU's, no refreshes or revisions that I'm aware of.
Wii: One notable hardware refresh, at least one other to make a change to the DVD drive that only affected modders. An eventual new color.
Gamecube: Just colors as far as I know.
N64: Just colors as far as I know.
SNES: One notable hardware refresh right at the end of the generation. Different looking hardware for different regions, though.
NES: One notable hardware refresh right at the end of the generation. I think the hardware might have looked different in different regions.

Portables:
They do have much more of rep in the portable space for making significant enough changes in a small enough window that it can get infuriating.
Gameboy: Stayed the same for a very long time, then lightning transitions to Gameboy Pocket, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, and the various different form factors of GBA SP hardware, all while constantly releasing new colors for the hardware.
Nintendo DS: Transitioned to DSL after about a year, maybe two. DSL stuck around for a good while, with some new colors. I feel like there was a large DS at some some point, but I don't remember. Then came the DSi, I owned one but apparently no one else in the world did.
Nintendo 3DS: It stuck around for a couple years, I think there may have been one hardware revision, to change the aesthetics before the 3DS XL. Then came the 2DS and now the "New" 3DS, with different colors and skins throughout.

So, I guess you're not wrong, but it should be qualified that it really applies to handhelds and not really Nintendo as a whole. They probably change their home consoles the least of any other company.
I had a DSi. I think a lot of people kept the DSLs for GBA games. (I ended up buying a used DSL for that purpose after I got the DSi.)

Personally, the DSi has been my favorite nintendo handheld. Just the right size.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
what? who? The galaxy is still in production. That is not to say there isn't some supply issues, my store was out of stock of it most of the holiday. Any time one or three came in they would be gone before the day was out. I snagged the galaxy 3ds before Christmas as I needed a jrpg fix. I wasn't expecting to do much else with it but my OCD took over and I bought a travel case and skinned it with polyurethane everywhere. Sucker is now bullet proof. -_-

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Holy crap, it looks like 3DS units of all flavors are sold out everywhere. What the heck happened? This system is kind of old by this point. No reason for it to sell out unless Nintendo is slowing shipments. Then again it's the same thing with the NES Classic Edition. And the Zelda masters edition sold out in 4 minutes! Good god if nintendo actually made enough of this stuff... Probably wouldn't even need a home console to be rich.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
BTW, I can confirm the Galaxy also has a faster processor making Pokemon sun/moon run a bit smoother. We have one of each.

It's not night n' day difference (no pun intended) but it can be seen. No noticeable difference in screen quality that we can see.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The Galaxy or the "new" 3ds in general? Don't tell me we have a "Extra New" 3DS.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
BTW, I can confirm the Galaxy also has a faster processor making Pokemon sun/moon run a bit smoother. We have one of each.

It's not night n' day difference (no pun intended) but it can be seen. No noticeable difference in screen quality that we can see.
Somehow, I don't see this as "confirmation" of anything.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Somehow, I don't see this as "confirmation" of anything.

Fine, put this in your pipe and smoke it. http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/new-3ds-xl-vs-3ds-xl-should-you-upgrade

NEW NINTENDO 3DS XL VS 3DS XL – PROCESSOR AND NFC
The external changes present in the New Nintendo 3DS XL are fairly obvious, but there are elements under the hood which have been updated as well. The console now boasts a superior CPU which will - in time - result in exclusive New 3DS games that can only be used on this latest model, and will come with graphical improvements. The CPU also speeds up general menu navigation, boot speed and download speed.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Fine, put this in your pipe and smoke it. http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/new-3ds-xl-vs-3ds-xl-should-you-upgrade

NEW NINTENDO 3DS XL VS 3DS XL – PROCESSOR AND NFC
The external changes present in the New Nintendo 3DS XL are fairly obvious, but there are elements under the hood which have been updated as well. The console now boasts a superior CPU which will - in time - result in exclusive New 3DS games that can only be used on this latest model, and will come with graphical improvements. The CPU also speeds up general menu navigation, boot speed and download speed.
That has absolutely nothing to do with this "galaxy" skin. That's a comparison of "Nintendo 3DS" to "New Nintendo 3DS."

[edit]
...and that article is from early 2015. That's when *new*3DS and *new*3DS XL were released in UK).

The *new*3DS hardware platform launched in 2014 in Japan and 2015 elsewhere.

The *new*3DS Galaxy skin was released 2016 in USA.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Whatever. Specs are there. Believe what you want.
"New Nintendo 3DS" was released 2014(Japan)/2015. The specs apply to that. This "Galaxy" color released in 2016 has the same specs.

Understand?

- Nintendo 3DS/XL available in multiple colors / skins / special editions

- New Nintendo 3DS/XL available in multiple colors / skins / special editions

"Galaxy" is just another special edition exterior graphic. An ugly one in my opinion.

The hardware/specs in Galaxy edition are 2 years old.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I think you guys are confusing each other. The Galaxy skinned 3DS is the New 3DS
Blue_Max doesn't seem to understand that. Yes, Galaxy Edition has the latest hardware inside, but that hardware was released 2 years ago (more than 1 year before the Galaxy Edition).