Nintendo releases "New" 3DS XL Galaxy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I think they are all sold out because homebrew and CIA installation on almost all flavors of firmware is now a real and simple thing to do, so no more need to buy a special card to play 3ds games and its super easy to play just about everything under the sun.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I was in a Gamestop today and the rep said they'll get a couple 3DS XL units in occasionally, (though none on hand at the moment sans used) but they haven't gotten a single NES Classic Edition all year. I find it a little grating when Nintendo passes this off like "The demand for our products is just through the roof!" when in reality it seems just under produce everything.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I was in a Gamestop today and the rep said they'll get a couple 3DS XL units in occasionally, (though none on hand at the moment sans used) but they haven't gotten a single NES Classic Edition all year. I find it a little grating when Nintendo passes this off like "The demand for our products is just through the roof!" when in reality it seems just under produce everything.
Same for the Switch. I read that they only have two million worldwide for launch. That's nothing, and that's the reason why it's already sold out everywhere.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Nintendo needs to invest in some more manufacturing. Then again, Nintendo needs to do a lot of things...

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I think they are all sold out because homebrew and CIA installation on almost all flavors of firmware is now a real and simple thing to do, so no more need to buy a special card to play 3ds games and its super easy to play just about everything under the sun.
It's because new Pokémon games were released.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
BTW, I can confirm the Galaxy also has a faster processor making Pokemon sun/moon run a bit smoother. We have one of each.

It's not night n' day difference (no pun intended) but it can be seen. No noticeable difference in screen quality that we can see.
So... they occed the processor... maybe a new refresh is comming up.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Hardly any games even exist for the New 3DS. Xenoblade and Hyrule Warriors are like the only ones. What's the point to a new refresh if devs refuse to alienate the regular 3DS users?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Hardly any games even exist for the New 3DS. Xenoblade and Hyrule Warriors are like the only ones. What's the point to a new refresh if devs refuse to alienate the regular 3DS users?
Because they don't want to alienate the potential huge sales just like there won't be any exclusive PS4 Pro games, just upgraded stuff for it.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
I've been itching to get one of the new Galaxy 3DS XL, but hesitant to because the lifespan is unknown in this coming era of the Switch.

There's a few games that I'd love to play that I can't get for my DSLite (such as Zelda OOT, Professor Layton series, Super Smash Bros), that probably won't make it over to the Switch. Maybe they're not worth playing at this point, with the new Zelda, Mario Kart 8, and Odyssey coming to the Switch over the rest of the year?

It does appear that the 3DS XL Galaxy is starting to trickle into stock around my area, and Nintendo has pre-orders for the new Pikachu 3DS. So there must be a little life left in it.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I have a 3ds xl that I put some custom firmware on. Kept thinking I'd use it to play zelda, mario, pokemon, etc, but since I'm 42, every time I pull it out to play, I think people are judging me as a weirdo (which technically isn't wrong). Might as well sell the darn thing I guess. It's the retro nintendo controller looking one also which makes it all the cooler imho.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Eh - screw what other people think! Who cares. Be secure with what you love to do!

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I have a 3ds xl that I put some custom firmware on. Kept thinking I'd use it to play zelda, mario, pokemon, etc, but since I'm 42, every time I pull it out to play, I think people are judging me as a weirdo (which technically isn't wrong). Might as well sell the darn thing I guess. It's the retro nintendo controller looking one also which makes it all the cooler imho.
I want that one!