Nike Return Policy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stso

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2000
It's good to know Nike has such policy, thanks :)
Btw, I don't wear Nike shoes ;)

Milkyman

Sep 13, 2000
My friends have done this before because the air bubble in their sneakers popped. However, each time they recieved a rather ugly pair of sneakers back hehe.

Zwingle

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Look, I am not crapping on your thread....but what you are doing is crapping on Nike by taking advantage of the policy they put in place for manufacturers defects...not because of normal wear and tear. Thats why cars have the warranties they do, covers everything but "normal wear and tear" My sneaks never last me more than a year...thats just the way they make them, not the way I tear them up. They are in business to make money. Shoes wear out, you buy a new pair. They know this....I am sure they don't mind people like you taking advantage of them...it is part of the normal business accounting. Back a few years ago, Payless shoes had the same stupid type of warranty....if you don't like them, bring em back within 6 months......geez, were they stupid.....my sister was going back every 4 months with her smelly raggy a$$ shoes and getting a new pair or sometime money back, makes you wonder how many people were doing it....cause they no longer have the policy. It was just bad business. I had a dillema (sic) a few weeks back where I had a chance to make about 300.00 from OD on a mistake they made....I put it to the forum...in a thread that was already running on the subject if I should cheat the store or not....they made the decision...I did not do it...OD has been good to me and quite a few other members in this forum. Use common sense.....don't exploit a policy for its faults.

"Not talking about cheating here...just that if your shoes don't live up to your expectations"

Where does it say this in the warranty? I did not see it in your original post....so, what you are doing is lying......all the things you said went wrong with your shoes are normal wear and tear....not due to flaws....shame on you for exploiting the policy....shame on them for being stupid 3 times.

Riskhk

Mar 4, 2000
stfu man ...crapping is crapping...if you cant relate to do the deal then dont say anything at all...

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Hey I have a legitimate claim, I have a pair of 4 month old $100 tuned air nike air max running shoes. One of the damn airpockets ruptured and the sole on the right shoe flaps when i run.

right outsole
right insole
left outsole <- split right along the seam

Now there are a very nice pair of shoes, if i send em back will i get some ugly ass pair?

SmiZ

Oct 6, 2000
good call Riskhk and Zwingle you have a lot to learn....

Policies like this are in place to attract business. If nike didn't want you to enjoy their policy it sure as hell wouldn't be in place. If I or anyone else sends a pair of shoes back to nike and they determine that I don't fall under their policy, I'll get my original shoes back in the condition I sent them. It's not like I've got the CEO of nike at gunpoint and am stealing his product. This is nike's policy, if you're so worried about them getting cheated, why don't you write them a letter telling them how you're looking out for thier best interests.

This is entirely different than the examples of fraud you have mentioned as this is in plain writing on their site and they expect the policy to be used. It amazes me that people like you can be so completely ignorant as to not see how businesses come up with their procedures. Do you think Nike is being run by idiots? Don't you think they went over this pretty damn carefully before they put it in place? I think you should let them run their own company and stay the hell out of threads you have nothing useful to contribute to.

Get a damn clue.

Teekster

Dec 28, 2000
This policy is legit. I sent back a pair of Air Max running shoes that had an air pocket burst. I think they were even older than 3 years. They quickly sent me the equivalent new shoe (Air Tuned Max) without any questions. This is excellent customer service. Nike Rules!

StealthX32

Jan 20, 2000
Zwingle is right...this is definitely taking advantage of their policies.

If your car broke while it was still under waranty would you hesitate to get it fixed because you'd feel like you were cheating the car manufacturer?

Yes, if it was a manufacturer defect, I would bring it back to the dealer. Such as, if your door handle falls off a week after you bought it. SmiZ, are you gonna have the car dealer buy you new tires when yours wear out? That's what we call normal wear and tear, and trying to pass that as a manufacturer defect is downright fraud.

I find your immature response to your thread quite childish unacceptable in a community where self monitoring is quite important. I suggest you find a new forum.

gammaguns

Mar 30, 2000
Man....I bet everyone that in about 6 months...Nike will revise their shoe return policy because many people will abuse this once everyone knows about it.

Ender510

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2000
Smiz: I think you are being a bit harsh there.. for those that want to utilize the policies that Nike has in place, the more for them.. for those that don't, they don't. Leave it be.. and I don't know if there is necessarily a &quot;crapping on a thread&quot; thing because everyone has a right to post where they want.. except the obvious OT in forums, etc - but that's what the mods are for.. lates

Zero

Oct 9, 1999
gammaguns,
I seriously doubt it. I think this policy has been in place ever since Nike has been in business. This is oooold news. Although this comes up a couple times a year. This is nothing new. They physically examine your shoe. If they don't feel that your shoe is defective, they send it back to you....it's not like they MUST replace or repair your shoe just because you send it in. No chance that this policy will change.

Zero

bepejet

Jan 29, 2001
Most of my nike running shoes' toe part seperated with the shoes. I was pissed, but never tried to call up Nike though. Now, I might have to try once see if I can get one of my shoes back.

FloridaBoy

Nov 22, 1999
The first time I returned a pair, they refused to replace them because the cut was caused by a sharp object. Was caused the cut in the air chamber was me running 4 miles back home. Right after that, I bought another Air Intl Triax running shoes and one of the air chambers went flat. Luckily, Nike replaced them this time.

SmiZ

Oct 6, 2000
to StealthX32 and others:

Still not getting the point are we?

Nike has no gun to thier head to replace my shoes. If they feel my shoes meet their requirements for defects, I get new ones. There is no way you can consider this fraud. If you take your car to a mechanic, it is up the to the dealer to decide if your problem fits under their waranty. Same idea here.

<< I find your immature response to your thread quite childish unacceptable in a community where self monitoring is quite important. I suggest you find a new forum >>

LOL

If you will notice my response was directed at people who had nothing better to say than &quot;You're doing illegal stuff and trying to hurt nike. You're a bad person.&quot; Of course I'm going to respond to this as they clearly miss what's going on here. Once again I'm sure the Mods are ready to take the night off knowing you're on patrol. You seem to know alot about how things should be run. Go start your own forums and kick me off till the cows come home.

Zwingle

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
You know....you don't get the point......we are not worried about Nike....Nike will survive. We are responding to your post because what you are doing is stealing, you are not getting a hot deal....you are commiting fraud...get it? This is the same as insurance fraud. This is why prices keep going up...companies have to cover their losses. People like you who abuse policies, are the ones that make these companies change these policies, so people who make legitemate claims for REAL defects get screwed. THIS IS NOT A HOT DEAL! IT IS FRAUD! How can you argue? Does their policy state that if your shoes wear out, send em back and we will replace them. NO! It says &quot;If you feel your product has a materials or workmanship flaw&quot; You are not claiming these, there are no flaws....only your thinking is flawed. I am not trying to get high and mighty....but there is also the moral issue....and I won't get into that.....If Anandtech wants to start a new forum called &quot;Hot Steals&quot; or &quot;How to screw this company&quot;, this would be a good post there. For now, it belongs in Off Topic. Nuff said.

SmiZ

Oct 6, 2000
ok Zwingle, define wearing out. According to their policy, Nike gets to determine that, not you. If I bought $120 shoes 10 months ago and they are peeling away at the front, or the sole is coming off or whatever, you better believe I am sending them back. $120 shoes should last longer than this in my mind. If they agree with me, the replace my defective product, if they do not, I get my original shoes back. Apparently since all the shoes I have sent back have been replaced, I am not in the wrong here.

I don't really care if you think holding a company to their policy is morally wrong or not, I'm not faking anything here. In no way am I out to deceive. Their inspectors look over my shoes with their own two eyes and make the final choice. This isn't like putting on a neck brace and going to court to try to get money out of your insurance company, this is an incentive to buy nike shoes because you know they stand behind their product. And when their product fails ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN WRITTEN STANDARDS you better believe they are going to replace them.

Let's say you have a motherboard with a 1 year warranty and you use your PC for 11 months with no problem, then on day 337 after you bought it, it dies. Are you going to chalk that up to wearing out? Not while it's still under waranty you won't. Same thing here, except nike's waranty is three years because that's how much they believe in their product. Again your issue is not with me or my &quot;goodness&quot;, or &quot;morality&quot; but with nike's quality policy. It's not abuse to expect companies to live up to what they promise.

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
Word to smiz:
In OT we get respect by the length of time we've been here, and our maturity, and post count and such, In &quot;for sale and trade&quot; there are many &quot;regulars&quot; that know what they're doing, and arn't just a newbie spouting off. They where actually smart enough to not &quot;neff&quot; I.e. [/b]some of the elites[/b]

To zwingle: Your kind of right, there might be some people who exploit this plan, but in my life time, I've bought shoes, and spent 60 bux on them, and had them last me about a year. I've never spent more than 60-70 on shoes, and maybe thats why I don't see why they should be expected to last 3 yrs.
Up until the last few years, the only shoes that could possibly have kept up to my footware needs for 3 yrs would have been magic shoes that don't exist. I am rough on footware, I don't wear stuff for show, I wear shoes that keep my feet where the heck I want them to stay, and keep my feet as comfortable as possible while doing that. But maybe Nike's craftsman ship (never bought any) is good enough, that they would/should last 3 yrs, and if so, then what Smiz posted is worth looking into. If their sweat shop labor can really match my needs for shoes, and last 3 yrs, then maybe they do have a good thing

KMACK

Jun 20, 2000
not to open up a new can of worms.....but i think Timbaland does something Very similiar to thise policy....if not longer then 3 yrs...