NIC not being recognized after reformat - Can't find drivers - Thanks for the help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
In a last ditch effort, I reinstalled Win7, x86 this time, and reintalled the recommended drivers. Now, my ethernet adapter is being shown. Under my network adapters it is labeled:

"Local Area Network
The network cable is unplugged
Broadcom virtual wireless adapter"

The network cable is plugged in and I know for certain the cable works. I can't seem to find sufficient information on Google regarding this "Broadcom virtual wireless adapter". It seems odd to me that my LAN would be labeled as such.

My wireless is still working just fine. Sorry if this thread just keeps coming back!

Can you please post a picture of Device Manager with your Network Interfaces expanded?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That driver only appears to apply to the WLAN card.

Tell me this, Do you have a Link Light when you plug in the cable to the NIC?

If the NIC is activated in the BIOS, but doesn't show up in Windows, that indicates a Hardware problem. If you have no Link Light when you plug hte cable in, this also indicates a Hardware problem.

Last edited:

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006
That driver only appears to apply to the WLAN card.

Tell me this, Do you have a Link Light when you plug in the cable to the NIC?

If the NIC is activated in the BIOS, but doesn't show up in Windows, that indicates a Hardware problem. If you have no Link Light when you plug hte cable in, this also indicates a Hardware problem.

Only 1 of the 2 lights, an orange one. My router, however, is not displaying any light. Even after a hard rest.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The Link Light is lit on you NIC side, that indicates connection on the receive pair only. If you router doesn't get a Link Light on the same cable, then either the cable is broken, something's wrong with the router port, or somethings wrong with the NIC port (more than likely at this point).

I'm having trouble finding a LAN driver on the Dell site based on your service tag...not a good sign :\