NIC not being recognized after reformat - Can't find drivers - Thanks for the help

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm at my wit's end on this particular problem. My specs:

Dell Zino 410 HD
Win7 x64

I reformatted the HDD, installed windows and found that my NIC was not being recognized. Using the drivers CD from Dell, I installed the drivers but still no luck. Went to dell.com, updated my chipset drivers, my networking drivers and still, the NIC is not recognized.

I found a similar post that suggested that someone with a different model of the Zino should install a broadcom driver. Figuring, at this point, it couldn't hurt. After install, the NIC is displayed but is called "Broadcom Virtual Wireless Device". With my cable plugged in, the device stated that "The Network Cable is Unplugged". I know the cable is good.

Any ideas? I appreciate the help

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Hey guys,

I'm at my wit's end on this particular problem. My specs:

Dell Zino 410 HD
Win7 x64

I reformatted the HDD, installed windows and found that my NIC was not being recognized. Using the drivers CD from Dell, I installed the drivers but still no luck. Went to dell.com, updated my chipset drivers, my networking drivers and still, the NIC is not recognized.

I found a similar post that suggested that someone with a different model of the Zino should install a broadcom driver. Figuring, at this point, it couldn't hurt. After install, the NIC is displayed but is called "Broadcom Virtual Wireless Device". With my cable plugged in, the device stated that "The Network Cable is Unplugged". I know the cable is good.

Any ideas? I appreciate the help

Have you tried removing the NIC card from device manager, rebooting, and see if Windows will add it back correctly?

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006
Yes I have. Windows does not recognize it at all. It won't even show up under my device manager. My BIOS recognizes it, so I know it's not a broken NIC.

PlastikSpork

Jan 24, 2012
does it show up as an "unknown device" in device manager? Or it doesn't show up at all in device manager?

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006
does it show up as an "unknown device" in device manager? Or it doesn't show up at all in device manager?
That's a good question.

At first, it was shown as an unknown device until I installed that Broadcom driver which then labeled it as a Virtual Wireless Device. Once I realized that wasn't the correct driver, I uninstalled it and now it no longer displays any driver for my NIC.

My wireless is working just fine tho.

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
That's a good question.

At first, it was shown as an unknown device until I installed that Broadcom driver which then labeled it as a Virtual Wireless Device. Once I realized that wasn't the correct driver, I uninstalled it and now it no longer displays any driver for my NIC.

I would suggest deleting it again and this time trying the correct drivers but reboot before installing the drivers. If this doesn't work I'd suggest trying another NIC from some other machine or buy one try it and then take it back just to make sure your card is not the issue. Could be the card or the mother board at this point.

Is this a new version of Win 7 X64you just installed or a reinstall of the same OS after a format? Perhaps your NIC is no longer supported in the newer version. Just a guess.

PlastikSpork

Jan 24, 2012
That's a good question.

If it showed up in device manager it's more then likely just a driver issue. I don't believe that the NIC or MB is bad. Once you uninstall a driver you should restart the computer to see if it will show up in device manager again. Pull out the NIC and see if you can find any serial numbers or what model this device is so we can do some better research to see if there are drivers available.

serpretetsky

Jan 7, 2012
What's your Dell Service Tag
this. sometimes it's called the serial number or tracking code by dell.

also, right click the device in device manager. Goto properties. goto details tab. In the dropdown select hardware id. Post the hardware id(s) for the device here.

is this the driver you tried?
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...ode=inspiron-zino-hd-410&urlProductCode=False
Did it run setup after the automatic extraction completed, or did it just dissappear without saying any install was finished?

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006
Thanks for all the reply! I've been busy with school (finals) so I have been not as intentive on this thread as I need to be, I appreciate all the help.

I would suggest deleting it again and this time trying the correct drivers but reboot before installing the drivers. If this doesn't work I'd suggest trying another NIC from some other machine or buy one try it and then take it back just to make sure your card is not the issue. Could be the card or the mother board at this point.

Is this a new version of Win 7 X64you just installed or a reinstall of the same OS after a format? Perhaps your NIC is no longer supported in the newer version. Just a guess.
As of right now, the device doesn't even show up under my device manager. It only shows my wireless, which is listed as "DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card". After I deleted the old driver, the device never showed up again, I've never experienced this before.

As for the Win7 version, I believe it was the same OS, but I can't be certain. Now I have Win7 x64 professional. Good though tho ..

If it showed up in device manager it's more then likely just a driver issue. I don't believe that the NIC or MB is bad. Once you uninstall a driver you should restart the computer to see if it will show up in device manager again. Pull out the NIC and see if you can find any serial numbers or what model this device is so we can do some better research to see if there are drivers available.

I believe the NIC is integrated, so I am unable to remove it. Let me finish up some of my studies this evening and then I will open up the case and see what further information I can provide.

this. sometimes it's called the serial number or tracking code by dell.

also, right click the device in device manager. Goto properties. goto details tab. In the dropdown select hardware id. Post the hardware id(s) for the device here.

is this the driver you tried?
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...ode=inspiron-zino-hd-410&urlProductCode=False
Did it run setup after the automatic extraction completed, or did it just dissappear without saying any install was finished?
Tracking Code = CZB4DP1
The device is no longer shown under the device manager, so I am unable to obtain a hardware id, apologies. The drive you listed, I tried to install it, but I get the error msg "Hardware not detected, aborting install", so something to that effect.

serpretetsky

Jan 7, 2012
if the device is missing from device manager that's usually some sort of hardware issue. Only thing i can recommend is reinstalling OS completely and see if it reappears.

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
if the device is missing from device manager that's usually some sort of hardware issue. Only thing i can recommend is reinstalling OS completely and see if it reappears.

I agree....if it's an onboard NIC and it's not being recognized I think it's "fubar"ed. He can reformat and reinstall the OS if that doesn't work you're about as far as you can go.

If you reformatted and reinstalled the OS yourself how can you not know if it's the same OS that was on the machine previously? Going from an older 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS can cause issues. Not saying that's your problem however.

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006

Yeah, I was starting to worry about that. Perhaps I will wait just a bit longer to see if anyone else has any ideas before I reinstall again; even if I reinstall again, I am worried that I won't have the correct drivers to make it work anyway.

I did just take apart the computer. The NIC is certainly integrated. There are NO slots for an additional NIC. All of the components on the inside are marked with a QRC codes (which I've never seen before, but I am a noob, what would I know). The QRC that appears to be the NIC and USB ports says "NC-0FRR8X-75093-11P-0AFB-A00 Made in China DP/N 0FRR8x".

Google comes up with nothing. Using a QRC scan comes up with nothing. I would post a picture but it appears that my camera isn't working on my phone atm. ><

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
make sure the NIC is enabled in the BIOS setup. If it is, and windows doesn't work, use a Linux live disk like ubuntu, or something. Boot to the disc and see if your NIC shows up and works...

Last edited:

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006
make sure the NIC is enabled in the BIOS setup. If it is, and windows doesn't work, use a Linux live disk like ubuntu, or something. Boot to the disc and see if your NIC shows up and works...

Damn, it was a good idea with bad results. Still not recognized, I'm worried it's FUBAR'd. I'm reformatting again, hopefully with different results but I'm starting to figure a hardware failure. If I find anything out I will report back.

Thanks for the help.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Damn, it was a good idea with bad results. Still not recognized, I'm worried it's FUBAR'd. I'm reformatting again, hopefully with different results but I'm starting to figure a hardware failure. If I find anything out I will report back.

Thanks for the help.

dont forget the linux option, one last effort before ruling out software completely.

Any room for a PCI or PCI-E NIC in the case?

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006
dont forget the linux option, one last effort before ruling out software completely.

Any room for a PCI or PCI-E NIC in the case?

No room for a PCI or PCI-E NIC, it's a really compact case. I used the linux live CD and was unable to get get the NIC to work, but that could have been my lack of experience with linux.

I'm not totally convinced it is a hardware failure. It is just too odd to me one minute it is working no problem (the computer is less than a year old), I reformat and literally 10 minutes later it fails?

Something just doesn't seem totally right. Perhaps it was just serendipitous timing, but I really hope not.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No room for a PCI or PCI-E NIC, it's a really compact case. I used the linux live CD and was unable to get get the NIC to work, but that could have been my lack of experience with linux.

I'm not totally convinced it is a hardware failure. It is just too odd to me one minute it is working no problem (the computer is less than a year old), I reformat and literally 10 minutes later it fails?

Something just doesn't seem totally right. Perhaps it was just serendipitous timing, but I really hope not.

btw, you are 5 days out of warranty...USB NIC then?

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006
btw, you are 5 days out of warranty...USB NIC then?

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. The only reason I really need the NIC is to stream HD movies. This computer is used as my HTPC and the kids and wife are getting antsy for me to get it working again with smooth streaming.

Well, I appreciate everyone's help.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah, I was just thinking about that. The only reason I really need the NIC is to stream HD movies. This computer is used as my HTPC and the kids and wife are getting antsy for me to get it working again with smooth streaming.

Well, I appreciate everyone's help. I'm going to let this thread die as I can't seem to find a logical answer. Thanks again.

go wired, wireless will make that streaming thing a much bigger PITB

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006
go wired, wireless will make that streaming thing a much bigger PITB

Yeah, that was the whole point of this thread. My wireless was working my my actual wired NIC was not. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. But, it looks like a wired USB is my best option.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah, that was the whole point of this thread. My wireless was working my my actual wired NIC was not. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. But, it looks like a wired USB is my best option.

You did, just letting you know either way. I gave the wireless streaming a shot and it just couldn't cut it.

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006
You did, just letting you know either way. I gave the wireless streaming a shot and it just couldn't cut it.

It's so disappointing also because I just bought a NAS with 6TB. I was hoping to finally get my dream XBMC setup. Just another small delay.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
nice, good luck with that. good things come to those who wait (and plan accordingly :D )

DannJonnes

Mar 25, 2006
nice, good luck with that. good things come to those who wait (and plan accordingly :D )

In a last ditch effort, I reinstalled Win7, x86 this time, and reintalled the recommended drivers. Now, my ethernet adapter is being shown. Under my network adapters it is labeled:

"Local Area Network
The network cable is unplugged
Broadcom virtual wireless adapter"

The network cable is plugged in and I know for certain the cable works. I can't seem to find sufficient information on Google regarding this "Broadcom virtual wireless adapter". It seems odd to me that my LAN would be labeled as such.

My wireless is still working just fine. Sorry if this thread just keeps coming back!