NFL thread 2021-2022

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Allen always makes that play. Frustrating that he slipped. But the Titans played well and I hope the Bills get to play them in the playoffs.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
You don't necessarily want to go into overtime and risk injuries. I understand the call and thought it was fine. I like to see ball's handed to running backs in those situations because it something the players have greater familiarity and practice with than QB sneaks.

I wonder if running that razzle dazzle play they used for 2 point conversion would have worked a 2nd time?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
As mentioned by others Allen appeared to slip as he drove forward, he's a big physical QB so he's done that play many times and probably for more than "6. The Bills will be fine, still a front-runner in the AFC.

I agree that MOST LIKELY the Bills will be fine however the amount if indecision/confusion I saw at the end of yesterdays game was not exactly confidence-inspiring. Quite the opposite for me.

The AFC East is certainly not an issue this year but to win a championship I think the Bills need home-field throughout the playoffs. If they don't tighten up the ship I'm not sure they get it. (if they do meet TN again in the playoffs ... a fairly likely event ... this may be of particular importance)

The Titans are a very solid team especially on D plus Henry is a complete monster however yesterday they were "gifted" the game by the Bills.

Allen always makes that play. Frustrating that he slipped. But the Titans played well and I hope the Bills get to play them in the playoffs.

Correction. ALMOST always. ;)

Thing is the specific reason Allen failed to score a TD is pretty much irrelevant unless you're just looking for a bright spot as a Bills fan.

The Bills completely blew that game & the ending was poorly managed.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Correction. ALMOST always. ;)

Thing is the specific reason Allen failed to score a TD is pretty much irrelevant unless you're just looking for a bright spot as a Bills fan.

The Bills completely blew that game & the ending was poorly managed.
It's literally the first time that he didn't make it, and he slipped. You make that call 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: BUTCH1

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
In honor of mocking one of the most annoying terms ever, "ARM TALENT", I will proclaim that Derrick Henry has LEG TALENT.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It's literally the first time that he didn't make it, and he slipped. You make that call 10 times out of 10.

Again correction .... YOU make that call 10 times out of 10.

On 4th down I'm tying the game no matter how gassed my D is.

(next thing somebody will defend not changing the play after the TN time-out lol... the results are what I go by.)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yup, he's a big, strong QB and it's dumb second-guessing that play, they only needed 6 inches, not 3 yards.

How is it "dumb" second-guessing something that didn't work?? :p

(I'll wait while you come up with something)

I hope you guys don't ever take up wagering on the NFL regularly ... for your own sakes!

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
How is it "dumb" second-guessing something that didn't work?? :p

(I'll wait while you come up with something)

I hope you guys don't ever take up wagering on the NFL regularly ... for your own sakes!
Only the most cowardly would go for the kick there. It's absolutely a terrible decision.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Only the most cowardly would go for the kick there. It's absolutely a terrible decision.

All water under the bridge at this point. (and irrelevant... you don't "go for it" there because the play might not work and then you 100% have lost the game... and that's what happened.)

It's not my team involved so I don't have any "emotional investment".

;)

*(however I'm not the one defending a failure here)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have never hidden that fact, even through 17 straight years without playoffs. Doesn't make me any less correct and you any less wrong. :p

The Bills are my favorite AFC team so I do feel your pain fyi ... I was rooting hard for Buffalo.

Except in 1990! ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Apologies.... watching that video is the closest I'll get to seeing the Giants in the SB anytime soon!

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
:eek: :D

You a Bills fan by any chance? :p ;)

(if so I understand)
Yes, he is.

I would have trusted a QB sneak with Tom Brady rather than Josh Allen. One of the clunkiest sneaks I've ever seen on tape. It looked bad right from his stance under center. Allen's weird exaggerated stance probably helped his slip and failure.

Real good sneaks:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The Bills are my favorite AFC team so I do feel your pain fyi ... I was rooting hard for Buffalo.

Except in 1990! ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Apologies.... watching that video is the closest I'll get to seeing the Giants in the SB anytime soon!
Poor soul's NFC East PTSD just got triggered. Kickers can be true heartbreakers.

I thought the Jets were your second team. Or maybe you got your AFC side chicks messed up? :p

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yes, he is.

I would have trusted a QB sneak with Tom Brady rather than Josh Allen. One of the clunkiest sneaks I've ever seen on tape. It looked bad right from his stance under center. Allen's weird exaggerated stance probably helped his slip and failure.

Real good sneaks:

Here is the apparent misunderstanding of what I'm saying .... that play was risky and you have to know that. Period end of discussion.

Deciding to take the risk was all well and good BEFORE the Titans eyeballed the play and called a time-out.

A conservative football coach kicks the FG and ties the game right there.

The other acceptable option would have been to change the play
in some way so that the super-aggro TN defense couldn't pin their ears back and come right at Allen...which they did. Even if he doesn't fall on his face I'm not sure he makes it.

Anyway onward to week 7 !!! :D

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Poor soul's NFC East PTSD just got triggered. Kickers can be true heartbreakers.

I thought the Jets were your second team. Or maybe you got your AFC side chicks messed up? :p

I go back and forth lol.... its tough to "like" anything about Gang-Green.

;)

Also the Bills are the only real New York team and that's where I'm originally from! (NY State not Buffalo)

4hxi0t.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Torn Mind

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Mike McCarthy would have kicked the FG. It was rather ironic to hear Ryan Clark tear McCarthy a new anus earlier Monday, then say after the game that the Bills should've taken the tying FG.

The failure wasn't in the decision. I'm beginning to find it shocking that you think it is.
(At least in poker circles) it's called being results oriented. The evolution in modern NFL coaching is to make decisions that appear more "risky" when they in fact increase the odds of winning. Either way, you just have to live with the results.