NFL thread 2021-2022

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
While I like your positive thinking AND I sincerely HOPE you are correct, I don't believe he has what it takes to make it as a winning starting NFL QB.

IMO what you're looking at in Daniel Jones is another Dave Brown with somewhat less in the way of physical skills plus even worse judgement.

I think Gettleman selecting Jones as QB set the Giants organization back a good 7-10 years, nevermind the sheer incompetence of the Barkley pickup on a team thats not even close to winning consistently.

:(

Jones has fine physical skills. He has a nice deep ball and has mobility. He has some questionable decision making but I think he is smart enough to lessen the bad decisions if he has the right tools around him. Sure we got him Golloday, but he can't stay healthy already, our O-Line is already in flux with zero depth, and Toney is way way behind and will be a non factor for at least the first half of the season. Shepard can't stay healthy. Engram drops so many key plays. The Barkley pickup was a mistake. A lot of Gettleman's picks are mistakes.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I Just finished watching the last episode of the history of the Atlanta Falcons, great series if you enjoy Jon Bois videos

Who's ready for football?

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Jones has fine physical skills. He has a nice deep ball and has mobility. He has some questionable decision making but I think he is smart enough to lessen the bad decisions if he has the right tools around him. Sure we got him Golloday, but he can't stay healthy already, our O-Line is already in flux with zero depth, and Toney is way way behind and will be a non factor for at least the first half of the season. The Barkley pickup was a mistake. A lot of Gettleman's picks are mistakes.

From your lips to gods ears! :D

To be fair our O-line is a joke, most of our receivers suck and our ground-game is mediocre at best so placing all the blame on Jones isn't right.... Mahomes would have trouble winning with this rag-tag bunch.

Sadly that's about as much optimism as I can muster for Big Blue this season.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
From your lips to gods ears! :D

To be fair our O-line is a joke, most of our receivers suck and our ground-game is mediocre at best so placing all the blame on Jones isn't right.... Mahomes would have trouble winning with this rag-tag bunch.

Sadly that's about as much optimism as I can muster for Big Blue this season.
But really, you think Eli had better physical skills than Jones

Eli makes Jones look like Michael Vick

• Haha

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
But really, you think Eli had better physical skills than Jones

Eli makes Jones look like Michael Vick

Depends on when I decide to look at Eli to make the call lol. :p

He was pretty klutzy like half the time BUT when he was good he was amazing. (as you know)

I SERIOUSLY doubt Jones ever takes us to the playoffs beyond MAYBE a 1-and-done Wildcard game and he'll never even sniff being a borderline HOF'er like Eli. At best he's NFL backup QB material.

Right now the only thing Jones has in common with Eli is they are/were both Giant starting QB's. Jones however also has the misfortune of not only not being very good, but being overshadowed by a legend.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Depends on when I decide to look at Eli to make the call lol.

He was pretty klutzy like half the time BUT when he was good he was amazing. (as you know)

I SERIOUSLY doubt Jones ever takes us to the playoffs beyond MAYBE a 1-and-done Wildcard game and he'll never even sniff being a borderline HOF'er like Eli. At best he's NFL backup QB material.

Right now the only thing Jones has in common with Eli is they are/were both Giant starting QB's.
Eli had an actual offensive line though. Some of the names on that line, while not Hall of famers, were rock solid Giants. Plus he had a better cast of characters. Except for Barkley.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Eli had an actual offensive line though. Some of the names on that line, while not Hall of famers, were rock solid Giants. Plus he had a better cast of characters. Except for Barkley.

Don't forget the situation towards the end of the season leading up to SB#42 .... nobody was picking the Giants to win a thing mid-season that's for sure.

NY kind of came out of nowhere that year .... it wasn't until I saw the way they played vs New England in the final game of the regular season I knew something special was brewing.

Btw I did mention the fact that Eli had a VASTLY better team especially on BOTH lines. That Giant O-line in particular just owned the field by halfway through the 3rd quarter in most games with the opposing D reduced to sucking wind.

Note I have not even mentioned Strahan or the scary pass-rush.

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
The Athletics Top 100 Players of all Time

• 100 WLB Derrick Brooks
  • 99 C Dermontti Dawson
  • 98 RB Steve Van Buren
  • 97 C/LS Jim Otto
  • 96 TE Mike Ditka
  • 95 QB Fran Tarkenton
  • 94 Flanker (WR) Crazy Legs Hirsch
  • 93 MLB Mike Singletary
  • 92 RB/Flanker (WR) Lenny Moore
  • 91 LDE Willie Davis
  • 90 CB Willie Brown
  • 89 QB Bobby Layne
  • 88 CB Darrell Green
  • 87 CB Champ Bailey
  • 86 DT Buck Buchanan
  • 85 OC/LB (2way) Bulldog Turner
  • 84 OC/LB (2way) Mel Hein
  • 83 DT Leo Nomellini
  • 82 TE Kellen Winslow
  • 81 TE John Mackey
  • 80 MLB Willie Lanier
  • 79 CB Mike Haynes
  • 78 QB Roger Staubach
  • 77 SLB/WLB Ted Hendricks
  • 76 LT Art Shell
  • 75 WR Paul Warfield
  • 74 SLB/LS Bobby Bell
  • 73 RB/FB Marion Motley
  • 72 RB Adrian Peterson
  • 71 CB Mel Blount
  • 70 RB Marshall Faulk
  • 69 QB Terry Bradshaw
  • 68 CB/DB Charles Woodson
  • 67 LG Eugene Upshaw
  • 66 RB Earl Campbell
  • 65 MLB Joe Schmidt
  • 64 LT Walter Jones
  • 63 Split End (WR) Raymond Berry
  • 62 MLB Ray Nitschke
  • 61 QB Bart Starr
  • 60 LT/lg Jonathan Ogden
  • 59 WLB/MLB Junior Seau
  • 58 CB Herb Adderley
  • 57 C/LS Mike Webster
  • 56 TE Rob Gronkowski
  • 55 WR Lance Alworth
  • 54 OLB/C/mlb Chuck Bednarik
  • 53 RB/KR Gale Sayers
  • 52 SLB Jack Ham
  • 51 RB LaDainian Tomlinson
  • 50 CB/s Dick Night Train Lane
  • 49 QB Steve Young
  • 48 QB Sid Luckman
  • 47 DT Randy White
  • 46 TE Tony Gonzalez
  • 45 G/t Larry Allen
  • 44 G/C Bruce Matthews
  • 43 QB Drew Brees
  • 42 LT/LG/rt Jim Parker
  • 41 RB OJ Simpson
  • 40 RB Eric Dickerson
  • 39 S Ed Reed
  • 38 WR Randy Moss
  • 37 MLB/ilb Jack Lambert
  • 36 RT/rg/lg Forrest Gregg
  • 35 DE/dt J.J. Watt
  • 34 LDE Gino Marchetti
  • 33 FB/2 Way Bronko Nagurski
  • 32 RDT Alan Page
  • 31 RDT/lde Bob Lilly
  • 30 LDT Merlin Olsen
  • 29 RB Emmitt Smith
  • 28 CB/kr/pr Deion Sanders
  • 27 RB Barry Sanders
  • 26 CB/nb/s Rod Woodson
  • 25 LG John Hannah
  • 24 DT Aaron Donald
  • 23 QB/DB/P Sammy Baugh
  • 22 QB Brett Favre
  • 21 QB Aaron Rodgers
  • 20 RDE Bruce Smith
  • 19 S/cb Ronnie Lott
  • 18 QB Dan Marino
  • 17 MLB/ilb Ray Lewis
  • 16 LDE Deacon Jones
  • 15 QB John Elway
  • 14 DT Mean Joe Greene
  • 13 End/WR Don Hutson
  • 12 LT Anthony Muñoz
  • 11 QB Otto Graham
  • 10 MLB Dick Butkus
  • 9 QB Johnny Unitas
  • 8 RB Walter Payton
  • 7 QB Peyton Manning
  • 6 QB Joe Montana
  • 5 LDE Reggie White
  • 4 LB Lawrence Taylor
  • 3 WR Jerry Rice
  • 2 FB Jim Brown
  • 1 QB Tom Brady
Only complaint i have is no Aaron Donald on the list

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Don't forget the situation towards the end of the season leading up to SB#42 .... nobody was picking the Giants to win a thing mid-season that's for sure.

NY kind of came out of nowhere that year .... it wasn't until I saw the way they played vs New England in the final game of the regular season I knew something special was brewing.

Btw I did mention the fact that Eli had a VASTLY better team especially on BOTH lines. That Giant O-line in particular just owned the field by halfway through the 3rd quarter in most games with the opposing D reduced to sucking wind.

Note I have not even mentioned Strahan or the scary pass-rush.

Watching the NFL films road to the superbowl for #42 is one of the most epic things ever and gives me the chills. I thought were were 9-7 and a Wild Card but we were actually 10-6 that year, but still a Wild Card. 2011 was the year we won as a 9-7 Wild Card Team.

But I remember where I saw every game. The Tampa game at my apartment with a friend. The Dallas game at my friend's place. The Green Bay game on my own at my place. The Superbowl at my friends place for a party. My colleague and I both put $100 bucks on the Giants to win the big game starting with their Tampa win. First and last time I bet on sports. My colleague kind of talked me into it. Was a nice win though. The Giants odds to win were quite low as they were a Wild Card and nobody expected shit from them.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Watching the NFL films road to the superbowl for #42 is one of the most epic things ever and gives me the chills. I thought were were 9-7 and a Wild Card but we were actually 10-6 that year, but still a Wild Card. 2011 was the year we won as a 9-7 Wild Card Team.

But I remember where I saw every game. The Tampa game at my apartment with a friend. The Dallas game at my friend's place. The Green Bay game on my own at my place. The Superbowl at my friends place for a party. My colleague and I both put $100 bucks on the Giants to win the big game starting with their Tampa win. First and last time I bet on sports. My colleague kind of talked me into it. Was a nice win though. The Giants odds to win were quite low as they were a Wild Card and nobody expected shit from them.

For me personally it was the single best run a team I root for has ever had .... and maybe will ever have!

Also 75% of America (at least) became "temporary" Giants fans for that game lol.

:D

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The Athletics Top 100 Players of all Time

• 100 WLB Derrick Brooks
  • 99 C Dermontti Dawson
  • 98 RB Steve Van Buren
  • 97 C/LS Jim Otto
  • 96 TE Mike Ditka
  • 95 QB Fran Tarkenton
  • 94 Flanker (WR) Crazy Legs Hirsch
  • 93 MLB Mike Singletary
  • 92 RB/Flanker (WR) Lenny Moore
  • 91 LDE Willie Davis
  • 90 CB Willie Brown
  • 89 QB Bobby Layne
  • 88 CB Darrell Green
  • 87 CB Champ Bailey
  • 86 DT Buck Buchanan
  • 85 OC/LB (2way) Bulldog Turner
  • 84 OC/LB (2way) Mel Hein
  • 83 DT Leo Nomellini
  • 82 TE Kellen Winslow
  • 81 TE John Mackey
  • 80 MLB Willie Lanier
  • 79 CB Mike Haynes
  • 78 QB Roger Staubach
  • 77 SLB/WLB Ted Hendricks
  • 76 LT Art Shell
  • 75 WR Paul Warfield
  • 74 SLB/LS Bobby Bell
  • 73 RB/FB Marion Motley
  • 72 RB Adrian Peterson
  • 71 CB Mel Blount
  • 70 RB Marshall Faulk
  • 69 QB Terry Bradshaw
  • 68 CB/DB Charles Woodson
  • 67 LG Eugene Upshaw
  • 66 RB Earl Campbell
  • 65 MLB Joe Schmidt
  • 64 LT Walter Jones
  • 63 Split End (WR) Raymond Berry
  • 62 MLB Ray Nitschke
  • 61 QB Bart Starr
  • 60 LT/lg Jonathan Ogden
  • 59 WLB/MLB Junior Seau
  • 58 CB Herb Adderley
  • 57 C/LS Mike Webster
  • 56 TE Rob Gronkowski
  • 55 WR Lance Alworth
  • 54 OLB/C/mlb Chuck Bednarik
  • 53 RB/KR Gale Sayers
  • 52 SLB Jack Ham
  • 51 RB LaDainian Tomlinson
  • 50 CB/s Dick Night Train Lane
  • 49 QB Steve Young
  • 48 QB Sid Luckman
  • 47 DT Randy White
  • 46 TE Tony Gonzalez
  • 45 G/t Larry Allen
  • 44 G/C Bruce Matthews
  • 43 QB Drew Brees
  • 42 LT/LG/rt Jim Parker
  • 41 RB OJ Simpson
  • 40 RB Eric Dickerson
  • 39 S Ed Reed
  • 38 WR Randy Moss
  • 37 MLB/ilb Jack Lambert
  • 36 RT/rg/lg Forrest Gregg
  • 35 DE/dt J.J. Watt
  • 34 LDE Gino Marchetti
  • 33 FB/2 Way Bronko Nagurski
  • 32 RDT Alan Page
  • 31 RDT/lde Bob Lilly
  • 30 LDT Merlin Olsen
  • 29 RB Emmitt Smith
  • 28 CB/kr/pr Deion Sanders
  • 27 RB Barry Sanders
  • 26 CB/nb/s Rod Woodson
  • 25 LG John Hannah
  • 24 DT Aaron Donald
  • 23 QB/DB/P Sammy Baugh
  • 22 QB Brett Favre
  • 21 QB Aaron Rodgers
  • 20 RDE Bruce Smith
  • 19 S/cb Ronnie Lott
  • 18 QB Dan Marino
  • 17 MLB/ilb Ray Lewis
  • 16 LDE Deacon Jones
  • 15 QB John Elway
  • 14 DT Mean Joe Greene
  • 13 End/WR Don Hutson
  • 12 LT Anthony Muñoz
  • 11 QB Otto Graham
  • 10 MLB Dick Butkus
  • 9 QB Johnny Unitas
  • 8 RB Walter Payton
  • 7 QB Peyton Manning
  • 6 QB Joe Montana
  • 5 LDE Reggie White
  • 4 LB Lawrence Taylor
  • 3 WR Jerry Rice
  • 2 FB Jim Brown
  • 1 QB Tom Brady
Only complaint i have is no Aaron Donald on the list
Looks like no. 24. Kind of interesting Marino is higher ranked than both Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre, but I'm admittedly biased.
They also didn't make any room on the list for the best Manning, Eli. :p
@Captante Eli isn't a borderline HoFer, he's an absolute lock.

Reactions: KMFJD

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Looks like no. 24. Kind of interesting Marino is higher ranked than both Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre, but I'm admittedly biased.
They also didn't make any room on the list for the best Manning, Eli. :p
@Captante Eli isn't a borderline HoFer, he's an absolute lock.

If I were voting (and apparently you as well!) that is 100% correct!

I suspect however that he DOES get in but it won't be close to unanimous.

And IMO Marino should be in anyone who watched him play's top 10 QB's of all time. He was far better then Rodgers ever was at everything aside from scrambling and a more accurate passer then Favre. (although I would rate Marino & Favre close to equal OVERALL)

That list btw is fairly lame .... the best overall athletes in the world IMO are still the ones who dominate events like the Decathlon.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009

And IMO Marino should be in anyone who watched him play's top 10 QB's of all time. He was far better then Rodgers ever was at everything aside from scrambling and a more accurate passer then Favre. (although I would rate Marino & Favre close to equal OVERALL)

That list btw is fairly lame .... the best overall athletes in the world IMO are still the ones who dominate events like the Decathlon.
Top 10?? This guy threw for over 5,000 yards in 1984!!!!!!! Let me repeat that, In nineteen, eighty four, when you could mug recievers, this guy broke 5k yards. I don't know if there will ever be a more talented thrower of the football.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

I'm not an Eli Manning fan, but there's nothing borderline about his HoF credentials. He's a lock to be inducted within the first few years of eligibility and many pundits think he'll be picked first ballot. As far as I know, they don't publish the HoF balloting but there's no such thing as unanimous selection (it's possible but unknowable). Basically you have to be one of 5 "Modern-Era" finalists each year, and also exceed 80% positive vote to get in.

I used to have Marino in my all-time list, but as time goes by, he gradually drops down the list. You have some weird anti- Aaron Rodgers fetish, so again, we'll have to agree to disagree. Superficially, Rodgers and Favre have similar credentials (3 MVPs, 1 Super Bowl win). But statistically, Rodgers is par excellence until the arrival of Patrick Mahomes. I'll concede you cannot compare stats across eras, and RPD is absolutely correct that what Marino did early in his career is insane compared to his contemporaries.

The main knock on Rodgers is he doesn't have the clutch gene of a Tom Brady or John Elway. He doesn't have as many comeback wins as some of the all-time greats, despite having some memorable hail mary plays. Having said that, Brett Favre was just the same. Meanwhile, Favre was an interception machine that by career's end had somewhat mastered the art of chucking the ball out there for DBs to pick off. I realize you're alluding to the eye test, but there's no universe where Favre is substantially better than Rodgers. If Favre is just in front of Rodgers, that's fine, if highly debatable. But not greatly superior as your Marino vs. Rodgers vs. Favre comparisons imply.

I realize I'm biased in this matter and I don't have any problem with Marino being a few spots ahead of ARod. All I said earlier is that it's interesting to see it. Rodgers career possibly has a few good years remaining to climb higher up the list.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm not an Eli Manning fan, but there's nothing borderline about his HoF credentials. He's a lock to be inducted within the first few years of eligibility and many pundits think he'll be picked first ballot. As far as I know, they don't publish the HoF balloting but there's no such thing as unanimous selection (it's possible but unknowable). Basically you have to be one of 5 "Modern-Era" finalists each year, and also exceed 80% positive vote to get in.

I used to have Marino in my all-time list, but as time goes by, he gradually drops down the list. You have some weird anti- Aaron Rodgers fetish, so again, we'll have to agree to disagree. Superficially, Rodgers and Favre have similar credentials (3 MVPs, 1 Super Bowl win). But statistically, Rodgers is par excellence until the arrival of Patrick Mahomes. I'll concede you cannot compare stats across eras, and RPD is absolutely correct that what Marino did early in his career is insane compared to his contemporaries.

The main knock on Rodgers is he doesn't have the clutch gene of a Tom Brady or John Elway. He doesn't have as many comeback wins as some of the all-time greats, despite having some memorable hail mary plays. Having said that, Brett Favre was just the same. Meanwhile, Favre was an interception machine that by career's end had somewhat mastered the art of chucking the ball out there for DBs to pick off. I realize you're alluding to the eye test, but there's no universe where Favre is substantially better than Rodgers. If Favre is just in front of Rodgers, that's fine, if highly debatable. But not greatly superior as your Marino vs. Rodgers vs. Favre comparisons imply.

I realize I'm biased in this matter and I don't have any problem with Marino being a few spots ahead of ARod. All I said earlier is that it's interesting to see it. Rodgers career possibly has a few good years remaining to climb higher up the list.

Incorrect ... I have nothing against Rodgers beyond thinking that he's very over-rated. This is based on his results (or lack thereof more like) when its "balls to the wall" time against big teams. There's more to being "great" then compiling statistics.

And far as HOF votes for Eli go, based on what I've heard people that DO have a vote say on the subject, he will "most likely get in but will not get every vote" because he is a "borderline HOF'er"... when you argue this point you are arguing with the opinion of multiple NY Sports reporters not mine alone. (and I AM a HUGE Eli fan)

Call up WFAN and have at it... they get paid to argue this kind of nonsense. (tell them you think Rodgers is better then Marino was while your at it rotfl... I'm certain THAT will go well!)

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Incorrect ... I have nothing against Rodgers beyond thinking that he's very over-rated. This is based on his results (or lack thereof more like) when its "balls to the wall" time against big teams.

And far as HOF votes for Eli go, based on what I've heard people that DO have a vote say on the subject, he will "most likely get in but will not get every vote"... when you argue this point you are arguing with the opinion of multiple NY Sports reporters not mine alone.

Call up WFAN and have at it... they get paid to deal with this kind of nonsense!
I didn't say it was anything personal; I'm saying IMHO it's a weird bias against Aaron Rodgers that you've brought to this thread a couple times. We're all entitled to our opinions, even if yours is wrong. :p OK, so Rodgers has lost multiple NFC championship games. I'd like to see what the betting line for those games was. I don't believe Rodgers' overall playoff record is significantly different from Favre's or even say Peyton's (except PM got to ride off into the sunset on an elite Broncos defense). More to my point, there's just no universe where a person can say Brett Favre was far better than Rodgers, which is essentially what you claimed earlier. Like I said, we can agree to disagree. That's perfectly normal in any all-time lists anyway.

Seems like you missed the point entirely on the NFL Hall of Fame balloting. It's unknowable if anyone is a unanimous inductee, because the ballot counts are not published. All we know is you have to get to the final 5 and also earn 80% of the vote to get into the HoF. For some strange reason, you went from Eli is "borderline" to Eli isn't unanimous (which I never even argued). The fact of the matter is that to our knowledge, nobody is voted in unanimously because the HoF doesn't tell us the counts. Nobody in their right mind would predict that Eli is going to be voted in unanimously, and nobody would know even if he was. The only point of debate is whether he gets in on his first ballot. My personal guess is no, but others think he will. I can guarantee you that before the end of this decade, he'll be inducted.

If NY sportswriters are wasting time debating whether Eli will be voted in unanimously, they are highly delusional on his overall body of work and apparently uninformed as to how the selection process works.

Anyway, I'm very excited about tomorrow's opening game! :D Will look back in 2 months to see whether the Packers or Rams are a stronger contender. ;) Everyone is currently undefeated, so don't give up on the playoffs just yet! :p

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
LOL @ Eli Manning being in the HOF.

Not a chance in hell.

QUOTE ME ON THIS TOO!!!
I don't think Eli is a HOF-calibre QB over all. However, he has 2 Super Bowl victories, including the biggest upset in SB history. I bet he gets in.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Incorrect ... I have nothing against Rodgers beyond thinking that he's very over-rated. This is based on his results (or lack thereof more like) when its "balls to the wall" time against big teams. There's more to being "great" then compiling statistics.

And far as HOF votes for Eli go, based on what I've heard people that DO have a vote say on the subject, he will "most likely get in but will not get every vote" because he is a "borderline HOF'er"... when you argue this point you are arguing with the opinion of multiple NY Sports reporters not mine alone. (and I AM a HUGE Eli fan)

Call up WFAN and have at it... they get paid to argue this kind of nonsense. (tell them you think Rodgers is better then Marino was while your at it rotfl... I'm certain THAT will go well!)
Here's the problem. Eli wasn't good during regular season, but when it was go time, he performed. Perfect season for Pats, meet Eli. What GOAT QB vs. Eli? Nope. In the post season he delivered. He's pretty much the opposite of Rodgers, yes he had one SB win, but has a TON of post season failures.

So if you value post season, then it's hard to argue both sides of your mouth for Eli. That's what most people complain about not voting a player into the hall, what did they do during the post season? Well in that regards Eli should be in.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You all are acting like Eli beat Tom Brady and the 18-0 Patriots 100-99 in a shootout.

They won because of a fluke ass hail mary that his receiver caught with his fucking helmet on 3rd down.

There was also blatant offensive holding on that play that was not called.

Sure they won, but let's not act like he fucking destroyed the Patriots single handedly. The Giants defense had way more to do with that win than Eli did. They held the Patriots to 14 points.

Reactions: dank69

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Yep ... TWO flukes in fact! ;)

Bad news... a win by 1 point counts the same as a win by 100 AND after we beat the Pats for the SECOND time any argument about "flukes" went right out the window.

Don't worry .... "Football Team" will win again eventually. ;)
And MAYBE even pick out a name!

Last edited: