NFL Free Agency Thread! Drew Hensen to the Cowboys! Troy Vincent to Buffalo!!(Confirmed!)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Duce Staley is considering Tampa?! :Q

The Eagles fans must be real happy about that . . .

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Mar. 4 - Garner plans to visit the Broncos next week, and his agent told the Denver Post the former Raiders running back is "pumped" about the possibility of playing in Denver. "He loves coach (Mike) Shanahan, admires his offense. He loves how the Broncos take care of their running backs," agent Brian Levy told the paper. "That would be an amazing marriage. With Denver's system, it would be scary what type of numbers Charlie would put up."

credit ESPN insider

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
I'm hearing rumors floating around about Charlie Garner to Denver.

I, for one, would be glad to see him back in a Niner uniform :) Garner + Barlow would be an AWESOME one-two punch :D

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
TO gone for a 2nd round pick? garcia gone too. Stupid niners....I mean stupid front office and team owner. BOOOOOO

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3

I, for one, would be glad to see him back in a Niner uniform :) Garner + Barlow would be an AWESOME one-two punch :D

It doesn't matter much for the Niners. They are looking at a season that could possibly be worse than this season.

Niners key UFA's:
Julian Peterson
Ahmed Plummer
Tai Streets
John Engleberger

Kevin Barlow is a RFA...They also need a New QB, unless they plan on using Rattay (inconsistent). Some help at WR of course...

To top it all off, they have one of the biggest NFL flops at the head coach position, Dennis Erickson.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: maddogchen
TO gone for a 2nd round pick? garcia gone too. Stupid niners....I mean stupid front office and team owner. BOOOOOO

Uh..they got a 2nd round draft pick for nothing. If TO would have filed his FA papers , they would have gotten nothing. If they didnt trade him, he'd file a grievance, and the 49ers would lose him anyways.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004

It doesn't matter much for the Niners. They are looking at a season that could possibly be worse than this season.

Niners key UFA's:
Julian Peterson
Ahmed Plummer
Tai Streets
John Engleberger

Kevin Barlow is a RFA...They also need a New QB, unless they plan on using Rattay (inconsistent). Some help at WR of course...

To top it all off, they have one of the biggest NFL flops at the head coach position, Dennis Erickson.

Yes, all you niner fans, time to jump ship :disgust:

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003

That doesn't fit the style of back they've had over the past, but they seem to be able to accomodate ANY back with that o-line of theirs.

I understand that the Niners got a pick when TO should have simply been a free agent and that they were under time constraints, but they should have been able to get more. Hell, I think the Pats got a fourth and a third rounder for Terry Glenn, which I would consider about equivalent.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: ClueLis

That doesn't fit the style of back they've had over the past, but they seem to be able to accomodate ANY back with that o-line of theirs.

I understand that the Niners got a pick when TO should have simply been a free agent and that they were under time constraints, but they should have been able to get more. Hell, I think the Pats got a fourth and a third rounder for Terry Glenn, which I would consider about equivalent.

Well, they had to find someone who was willing to give them something, in a timely manner, and the ability to absorb his salary.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
The thing to realize, for people who think SF got the shaft in only getting a 2nd rounder, is that if they couldn't QUICKLY reach an agreement with a team for compensation, Owens and the union were going to file a grievance with the league about whether Owens was actually a free agent or not.

The agent missed the deadline because of a subsequent change in the rules regarding when you had to notify the league about voiding a contract. The contract Owens signed actually said "send notice by March 2nd" or whatever, and it was only a subsequent change that affected it.

So SF could have ended up with nothing. Instead, they took a mid-2nd round pick just to be sure they didn't end up getting the shaft in the end.

While it is true that if Owens were to become an FA the Niners would have gained absolutely nothing from his leaving. However, Owens did not become an FA (circumstances are irrelevant, what happened, happened) so I expected to get more out of this.
I can see why they're doing what they're doing (the front office), building a team through the draft has worked for them in the past, but times have changed and the era of Free Agency has brought a whole new level of complexity to the way the game of football is played in the NFL.
There's a silver lining on every cloud, so this isn't all bad. I just think they could have done a whole lot better...

Its true that TO was still a Niner, but the fact remains that its because of a change in rules by the NFL, that TO didn't send
notice. His contract does state 2nd of March. Now if TO filed a grievance the odds were in his favor that he would
be granted free agency. This wasn't like the basketball player whose agent wasn't smart enough to exercise the option
in his contract. TO's contract stated he had until the 2nd of March, the change in NFL rules made it eariler. That
simple confusion would probably have been enough to grant him free agency.

Now I also expect to see TO renegoiate his contract in Baltimore. But I would love to see Garcia end up in Baltimore.
That would be funny.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

Niners key UFA's:
Julian Peterson
Ahmed Plummer
Tai Streets
John Engleberger

Yes, all you niner fans, time to jump ship :disgust:

*NOT* happening. I've been a Niner fan since I was but a wee yougin and I shall continue to be so until I die. I stuck with them through the hard times when Young was injured (and eventually retired) and they had two piss-poor seasons. I didn't abandon them then, and I certainly won't do it now.
49ers-4-life

ucdbiendog

Platinum Member
Sep 22, 2001
T.O. To Baltimore
The 49ers traded wide receiver Terrell Owens to the Ravens for a second-round choice in this year's draft, the 51st overall pick. The Ravens will pick up the final three years of Owens' contract valued at around $17 million.

Wow.

jesus... guess thats the going rate for an all pro receiver.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Ynog
The thing to realize, for people who think SF got the shaft in only getting a 2nd rounder, is that if they couldn't QUICKLY reach an agreement with a team for compensation, Owens and the union were going to file a grievance with the league about whether Owens was actually a free agent or not.

The agent missed the deadline because of a subsequent change in the rules regarding when you had to notify the league about voiding a contract. The contract Owens signed actually said "send notice by March 2nd" or whatever, and it was only a subsequent change that affected it.

So SF could have ended up with nothing. Instead, they took a mid-2nd round pick just to be sure they didn't end up getting the shaft in the end.

While it is true that if Owens were to become an FA the Niners would have gained absolutely nothing from his leaving. However, Owens did not become an FA (circumstances are irrelevant, what happened, happened) so I expected to get more out of this.
I can see why they're doing what they're doing (the front office), building a team through the draft has worked for them in the past, but times have changed and the era of Free Agency has brought a whole new level of complexity to the way the game of football is played in the NFL.
There's a silver lining on every cloud, so this isn't all bad. I just think they could have done a whole lot better...

Its true that TO was still a Niner, but the fact remains that its because of a change in rules by the NFL, that TO didn't send
notice. His contract does state 2nd of March. Now if TO filed a grievance the odds were in his favor that he would
be granted free agency. This wasn't like the basketball player whose agent wasn't smart enough to exercise the option
in his contract. TO's contract stated he had until the 2nd of March, the change in NFL rules made it eariler. That
simple confusion would probably have been enough to grant him free agency.

Now I also expect to see TO renegoiate his contract in Baltimore. But I would love to see Garcia end up in Baltimore.
That would be funny.

Like I said in the post you quoted: circumstances are irrelevant. What happened, happened and there's no changing it. It doesn't matter how it happened or why it happened, he wasn't an FA so the Niners still "owned" him. They should've gotten more than a 2nd-rounder for TO...

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004

So whats the silver lining here?

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
didn't the league office say something about compensating the niners with a pick in between the 1st and 2nd rounds for the TO debacle? That pick would have been the 33rd pick right? Whatever happened to that deal?

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: 777php
didn't the league office say something about compensating the niners with a pick in between the 1st and 2nd rounds for the TO debacle? That pick would have been the 33rd pick right? Whatever happened to that deal?

I remember the niners GM said that it was silly and they'd never do that.....doesn't sound so silly now

Dec 27, 2001
Glad Garcia is gone. He lacks a championship attitude.

Wide receivers are an overrated factor in the league. Even someone as dominant as Moss or Owens can be easily shut down by a good defense. And a second round pick isn't good, but could be part of a draft day trade up. I'd have liked to see the niners get a good young defensive back for owens though.

Draft picks aren't very useful anymore since once you get a rookie, train him, let him get experience for a few years, and he becomes a valueable part of the team; he becomes a free agent and leaves.

90% of this game is coaching. Another 5% is the QB. The rest is mostly special teams and luck.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

So whats the silver lining here?

The silver lining is that they got a 2nd round draft pick and cleared his salary out when, by all rights, he should have been an FA and they probably wouldn't have gotten anything. Also, there was a lot of bad blood involving Owens, and I'm sure a significant portion of the coaching staff/front office/players were happy to see him go.
I happen to be a TO fan, and I think his on-field antics are often-times humorous. What I don't like is all the b!tching and moaning he does on the sidelines, especially with the head coach.

adams828

Nov 29, 2003
ahhh thank goodness... was happy when garcia left (he was great until this past season), but this is awesome! TO better hope he doesn't piss off ray lewis :p

Jul 12, 2001
man...bad news for the bengals...our CB's could barely cover a turtle last year...how are we ever gonna cover him twice this season...ugh...

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: adams828
ahhh thank goodness... was happy when garcia left (he was great until this past season), but this is awesome! TO better hope he doesn't piss off ray lewis :p

You bring up a good point mentioning Ray Lewis. I find it hard to believe that Ray would allow Owens to act like he did the past two years with the niners. I think if you have a player like Lewis who has the respect but also some fear from his fellow players you are a lot better off having that player keep the others in line rather than trying to have a coach be the discplinary. The Ravens are Ray's team and I have to believe that he'll keep the players in line....even Owens.

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Staley8
Originally posted by: adams828

You bring up a good point mentioning Ray Lewis. I find it hard to believe that Ray would allow Owens to act like he did the past two years with the niners. I think if you have a player like Lewis who has the respect but also some fear from his fellow players you are a lot better off having that player keep the others in line rather than trying to have a coach be the discplinary. The Ravens are Ray's team and I have to believe that he'll keep the players in line....even Owens.

i have a feeling it will go well as long as they win and and owens gets the ball...but if they focus on the run and lose the only way lewis will be able to shut TO up is perminantly, with a knife ;)