NFL Free Agency Thread! Drew Hensen to the Cowboys! Troy Vincent to Buffalo!!(Confirmed!)

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Its been a whole day, and so far...

Portis/Bailey deal is done. Both players signed, sealed, and delivered.
Jevon Kearse signs for a huge contract with the Eagles
Robaire Smith signs with the Texans
and the Vikings are looking to shop Moss??

Report your findings/opinions here...

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
defensive tackle ted washington going to oakland, after rejecting a 3-year offer from new england last week to become a free agent.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
T.O. To Baltimore
The 49ers traded wide receiver Terrell Owens to the Ravens for a second-round choice in this year's draft, the 51st overall pick. The Ravens will pick up the final three years of Owens' contract valued at around $17 million.

Wow.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
T.O. To Baltimore
The 49ers traded wide receiver Terrell Owens to the Ravens for a second-round choice in this year's draft, the 51st overall pick. The Ravens will pick up the final three years of Owens' contract valued at around $17 million.

Wow.

You've got to be kidding me.
A 2nd-round draft pick for the best receiver in the league?
All just to free up a little cap room...
Well, say goodbye to the Niners 2004 season. Unless they pickup some great players in the draft that can step in and play right away, the odds against them having a better season than last year are pretty darn low.
No Garcia, no TO, no Hearst, no Deese, no Stone.......
Jeez, why not just sell the franchise and get it over with, York?

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
One of the best receivers in the league for a second round draft pick, huh? Wow is right.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Im thinking TO told the 49ers he won't play for them if he wasn't traded. I guess this is a good move by San Fran to get rid of someone who was going to cost them 17 mil to warm the bench for 3 seasons.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by: pyonir
One of the best receivers in the league for a second round draft pick, huh? Wow is right.

49ers must be desperate to give him up for a 2nd round pick. The best WR they can prolly get is either Rashaun Woods or Kerry Colbert in the 2nd round. Both recievers have very good hands and could fit well in the offense if they are still available:). I think if they get desperate and have to take a gamble on WR Johnnie Morant of Syracuse would be good if he can stay healthy, 6-4 @ 229lbs and runs the 40 in 4.50 would be a good WR to build upon.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Baltimore is going to be even more fun to watch... Damn, that's an insane trade!

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Im thinking TO told the 49ers he won't play for them if he wasn't traded. I guess this is a good move by San Fran to get rid of someone who was going to cost them 17 mil to warm the bench for 3 seasons.

Sure it's a good move to unload him, but for a 2nd round draft pick? How could they do this on the first day of free agency, no less? They couldn't wait another DAY even to see if anyone else was interested? This was the best they could do? What the hell is wrong with the Niners front office/ownership? I say get rid of the front office/ownership/what's left of the coaching staff and bring all the players back instead.
I'm so pissed off right now words can't even describe it...
How many times are the Niners going to do this to their fans? How many times are they going to get rid of fan-favorite players just to "save cap room"? I'm really starting to get fed up with them...

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
They are lucky they got a 2nd round draft pick for him.

He should have walked via free agency.

I am a little surprised the Eagles didn't get him first, though.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: pyonir

Ya, not to mention he has a relatively low salary by today's standards and is locked in for 3 more years at that. Although my guess is they will restructure to make him happy (if that's possible). I think the niners could have gotten a lot more for him though.....good thing I hate the niners and TO.

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
49ers are screwed for a couple of years, now. They may make that move to the Lions look like a dream come true for Mariucci.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Kearse to Philly.. that could make the D a bit more interesting.. still wish they'd find some help at the WR spot tho.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Actually, the 49ers got something out of nothing. TO was to be a FA. If TO's agent hadn't messed up, 49ers would've gotten nothing. As it is, they got a 2nd rounder and cap room for a guy who's a cancer and did not want to play for the club.

Too bad--I don't like the 49ers :D

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
The thing to realize, for people who think SF got the shaft in only getting a 2nd rounder, is that if they couldn't QUICKLY reach an agreement with a team for compensation, Owens and the union were going to file a grievance with the league about whether Owens was actually a free agent or not.

The agent missed the deadline because of a subsequent change in the rules regarding when you had to notify the league about voiding a contract. The contract Owens signed actually said "send notice by March 2nd" or whatever, and it was only a subsequent change that affected it.

So SF could have ended up with nothing. Instead, they took a mid-2nd round pick just to be sure they didn't end up getting the shaft in the end.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Lyfer
Official Story

Man if Jamal Lewis can his case settled with for the start of next season and they find a QB, they look like another potential playoff team.:)

Well, they made the playoffs this year, so I see no reason why they shouldn't make them again. Boller will improve, and Jamal Lewis will be playing again.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
The thing to realize, for people who think SF got the shaft in only getting a 2nd rounder, is that if they couldn't QUICKLY reach an agreement with a team for compensation, Owens and the union were going to file a grievance with the league about whether Owens was actually a free agent or not.

The agent missed the deadline because of a subsequent change in the rules regarding when you had to notify the league about voiding a contract. The contract Owens signed actually said "send notice by March 2nd" or whatever, and it was only a subsequent change that affected it.

So SF could have ended up with nothing. Instead, they took a mid-2nd round pick just to be sure they didn't end up getting the shaft in the end.

While it is true that if Owens were to become an FA the Niners would have gained absolutely nothing from his leaving. However, Owens did not become an FA (circumstances are irrelevant, what happened, happened) so I expected to get more out of this.
I can see why they're doing what they're doing (the front office), building a team through the draft has worked for them in the past, but times have changed and the era of Free Agency has brought a whole new level of complexity to the way the game of football is played in the NFL.
There's a silver lining on every cloud, so this isn't all bad. I just think they could have done a whole lot better...