Nexus 7 (2013) vs iPad Mini With Retina Display

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which would you choose, and why?

• Nexus 7 (2013)

• iPad Mini With Retina Display

Results are only viewable after voting.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Pretty much the only reason to get any variant of the iPad today is if you absolutely no matter what need an iOS based tablet. If you are just looking for any decent tablet, a good tablet, a tablet that is the best bang for the buck, or an extremely powerful tablet then no version of the iPad should even be in the running; it's out matched in every category nowadays for less money in most cases.

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
Nexus 7.

My top two reasons, in order of importance:

1) I own the hardware, so I should be able to do whatever the heck I want with it. It's the principle of the matter (I stick with the stock ROM on my N7). This notion that as the owner of my device, I am not allowed unfettered access to it without having to hack my own property is downright offensive.

2) Price.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
- If I was on a budget, Nexus 7.
- If the Nexus 7 didn't have the most bezels I've seen on a tablet, still Nexus 7.
- Since its neither one for those for me, iPad Mini.

Graze

Nov 27, 2012
I could have money pouring out the ass but I still would not buy an iOS device, so that much pretty much tells you my answer.
It also doesn't help that the Nexus 7 is a great tablet period.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I could have money pouring out the ass but I still would not buy an iOS device, so that much pretty much tells you my answer.
It also doesn't help that the Nexus 7 is a great tablet period.

It was good and successful enough that Apple has to take a page out of ASUS/Google's book and make a similarly sized tablet, though Amazon really is the one that got the trend rolling with the Kindle Fire (which was good but not great, but was still more successful than the 7" tablets before it).

That alone speaks volumes. :)
Lest anyone thinks that's not relevant to the conversation about whether the Mini is better now... well, that's the reason Apple is basically playing catchup with the Nexus 7 each generation. For $400 the retina Mini hasn't advanced the small tablet significantly. Not seeing an advantage to it that would damper Nexus 7 sales.

d08a.jpg

Jobs was usually right on the money about predicting what consumers would want, but he essentially was more like Ballmer on that call.

Last edited:

Joe1987

Jul 20, 2013
I have a first gen, is the second gen any better at leaving any screen real estate available when using the virtual keyboard in landscape mode?

nexus7-keyboards-06.jpg

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I have a first gen, is the second gen any better at leaving any screen real estate available when using the virtual keyboard in landscape mode?
Why not use one of the many keyboards with a tablet mode?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Why not use one of the many keyboards with a tablet mode?

Forgot about tablet mode keyboards. That would solve it. Keyboard height is adjustable on some keyboards.

EDIT: Tried this keyboard and set the landscape height lower. It can get lower than that, I just find this setting a good compromise.

o0lb.png

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005

nexus7-keyboards-06.jpg

Just use a third party keyboard. I like thumb keyboard:

uma7yze2.jpg

Edit: And let me just say I am loving this N7. I rooted it but I might undo that and leave it stock as honestly the stock Android makes me fairly happy. I much prefer the formatting on this thing to my S4, I have loaded everything I want on here (including all my big pay-for Gameloft games) and I have more than 5 gigs free.

Jeez I should have gone Nexus years ago. Might go for a vanilla rooted GPe ROM for my S4 when Kit Kat hits.

Last edited:

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
If I had to choose one (and I probably will after Christmas), it will be the mini w/ retina, despite its lame steep price.

I currently own the iPad 4 and Nexus 7 and I like the iPad for some things and the Nexus for others. I feel that ~8" is the perfect tablet size; 10" is nice but a bit cumbersome for book reading and extended usage (the weight reduction of the iPad Air will probably help in this aspect, though). 7" has great in-hand feel but is a bit small for surfing the web. The iPad mini's size is perfect IMO. Plus Apple's tablet ecosystem is still better.

This holiday season, if I can get my hands on a Retina mini, I will probably consolidate my tablet usage to the iPad mini w/ retina. I hate paying the Apple tax, but until Google releases an 8" Nexus tablet with a nice screen, I couldn't even consider consolidating on an Android tablet at the moment.

Last edited:

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have a 2013 Nexus 7 and while it's great, battery life is an issue. I don't know if the ipad mini would be better or not. I know my Nook HD+ is better.

The other thing is I like having an Android and an iOS device. When I had a Nexus 4 phone I hardly ever used the Nexus 7. It became redundant.

Joe1987

Jul 20, 2013
I have a 2013 Nexus 7 and while it's great, battery life is an issue. I don't know if the ipad mini would be better or not. I know my Nook HD+ is better.

The other thing is I like having an Android and an iOS device. When I had a Nexus 4 phone I hardly ever used the Nexus 7. It became redundant.

I don't know what the retina Mini will be like, but my non retina Mini battery life is very good. I kept a nook HD+ for a week or so and battery life wan't great, same for N7

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
I can't see myself spending the money on the apple even though I do have the money. I mean, it's only being used as a reader or a browser. It's a non-productive thing. Why drop that kind of cash on it?

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I can't see myself spending the money on the apple even though I do have the money. I mean, it's only being used as a reader or a browser. It's a non-productive thing. Why drop that kind of cash on it?

I never bought a tablet with the idea that I was going to put it to any kind of productive use. It was always more like "Ooh shiny. Let's see how fast this one is". I'm a gadget lover though. I don't need to justify it from a productivity standpoint. It is it's own end.

Joe1987

Jul 20, 2013

I trade stocks during my breaks and lunch, and the app for iOS is much better than Android's (the Android eTrade tablet app is even worse than the blown up phone app, I didn't think it was possible, but it is)

Am going to get either a Mini or an Air with the cell radio to replace my gen 1 Mini. I have a 2 year commitment to Sprint for the Tab 3 7.0 I just got, and thinking with the "compatible with all the LTE bands iPads", tethering, the free 200 MB (TMobile) and Sprint's 25 MB, I should be good.

I still can't decide on the Mini or the Air though, leaning towards the Air at this point, gaming is so much better on a larger screen, and with it being slightly smaller, it'll fit in my man bag better than my iPad 2.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Considering the N7 gen 2 performs worse than the iPad mini 1st gen, I would opt for the iPad mini retina.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mi4DC2UYEa0
Two things to note:

1) That Mini is running iOS 6. If you update to iOS 7, you're going to notice a little more slowdown and lag.

2) Does the Mini perform $xxx better than the Nexus 7 Gen2? If you're comparing like devices (both with high resolution panels), the price difference is staggering.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
If you are a Sam's Club member, you can order the Nexus 2013 32GB online for $255 plus tax...

They were $249 last week...

The 16GB is $229 which is reg price everywhere else...

v-600

Nov 1, 2010
I'd get the Nexus.

1) I already have apps for android, but nothing from itunes.
2) Custom roms (current nexus runs cyanogen)
3) Cost (I am on a saving spree at the moment, so won't buy either until my old nexus dies).
4) Amazon appstore.
5) An unreasonable and illogical like of all things apple but not to become an apple owner.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Considering the N7 gen 2 performs worse than the iPad mini 1st gen, I would opt for the iPad mini retina.

Just my 2 cents but before getting the galaxy s4 just a few days ago i was reading up on all the stats about which phone is quicker, more responsive etc. after having the s4 it just seems to me that outside of putting an ssd in it the phone is as fast as i need it to be. So all this my phone is .001 seconds faster at opening an app is just a little over obsessive.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Two things to note:

1) That Mini is running iOS 6. If you update to iOS 7, you're going to notice a little more slowdown and lag.

2) Does the Mini perform $xxx better than the Nexus 7 Gen2? If you're comparing like devices (both with high resolution panels), the price difference is staggering.

They aren't really the same size. If Google made a device the same size they'd probably sell it for near the same.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

1/2 second of extra load times in certain instances, or a microsecond of lag is hardly an argument to go for a device with an uber pixelated screen and bad color calibration like the iPad mini.

In actual usage, the Nexus 7 is very fast and smooth and the screen is great. Once you put up the brightness a little bit on both devices, the quality of the Nexus 7 (2013) blows away the iPad mini. Which is a shame, because otherwise the mini is a very well designed device.

Pretty much the only reason to get any variant of the iPad today is if you absolutely no matter what need an iOS based tablet. If you are just looking for any decent tablet, a good tablet, a tablet that is the best bang for the buck, or an extremely powerful tablet then no version of the iPad should even be in the running; it's out matched in every category nowadays for less money in most cases.

Absolutely needing an iOS tablet isn't a bad point though, since it Apple still has a better tablet app ecosystem.

But best bang for the buck is certainly the new Nexus 7, which is an awesome tablet for ~$200 ish.

Last edited:

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
ipad every time. I can't stand Android. Not to mention the creepy stalker company vibe. The $170 difference in price is meaningless to me for an item I will be using for 2+ years.

I don't buy the cheapest car on the market either.