Nexus 7 (2013) vs iPad Mini With Retina Display

Which would you choose, and why?

• Nexus 7 (2013)

• iPad Mini With Retina Display

Results are only viewable after voting.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Yesterday I bought a 16gb Nexus 7 once I saw what Apple had to offer. My reasons:

1. The Retina iPad Mini is so just so expensive compared to the Nexus 7- the base model of the Mini is more than the Nexus 7 32GB LTE model.

2. I use many Google services already.

3. I like the idea of wireless charging for a tablet. Its what HP got right.

4. Android tablet apps have gotten much better recently (the ones I use).

5. Who knows if or when the Retina Mini will get a jailbreak to give me the capability I want. I rooted my Nexus last night day 1.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
If I had a gun pointed at me and had to choose in 10 seconds and explain the reason, I would choose the Nexus 7 and the reason is solely the price.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
ipad mini, probably. After owning an S3 for a while I'm totally done with Android. What a nightmare. App quality was also not as good compared to iOS for what I use. Also, warranty. Apple replaced an iPad 2 I damaged by dropping it at no cost to me.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I'll probably end up with both. I have a Nexus 7 2013 32GB that I paid $280 for. And my iPad mini 32GB is going to cost me $500. Ugh, it's going to be twice as expensive. So if I had to pick only one it would be the Nexus 7.

I like the design and screen size of both tablets quite a bit. The 7 inch 16:10 Nexus 7 is a great size for reading books and fights so great in the hand because of the very narrow portrait bezels. On the other hand the 8 inch 4:3 iPad Mini provides a lot more space for web browsing and still feels nice in the hand.

So it really comes down to the Nexus 7 being super affordable and the iPad mini have much better quality apps.

kevinsbane

Jun 16, 2010
Nexus 7. 'cause I don't have an apple device, and I do have a Nexus 4. Because I like being able to fit my tablet into my jeans pocket (on occasion...)

Because it means I have $225 extra dollars to spend on something else.

Feb 19, 2001
TBH anytime I see the Mini, it's a totally different device to me. With 4:3 and a 7.9" screen the screen area is MUCH larger than the Nexus 7. Makes it better to read. The Nexus 7 other hand isn't as good for that. But I do like the price. If money wasn't a factor I'd have both, but I'd pick the Nexus 7 over the iPad Mini.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
One thing I am loving about the Nexus now that I got it is that it fits in my pocket. It basically is my replacement phone when I am home kinda. Well except for the fact I keep missing calls lol.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
If I didn't already have a nexus 7 and was looking to get a small tablet I'd buy the ipad mini. Since I already have the nexus 7 and am quite satisfied with it I feel no need for the mini.

The price difference does affect my decision somewhat. If the ipad mini were as cheap as the nexus 7 I'd definitely get both of them. I don't want to stretch my discretionary spending quite that far as things stand. My opinion is that the mini is the superior device though.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
Nexus 7 for sure. Smoothest Android experience. The perfect traveling mate at unbelievable price. I haven't paid top dollar for any depreciating asset since 2006, and intend to keep it that way,

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I have 2013 Nexus 7, and for anything more expensive I would get the Dell Venue 8 Pro over the iPad Mini. The iPads were and are great devices, but compared to the competition they aren't as good a value for what you can do. For anything above $350 I really want something with a Surface-style keyboard that I can use on the go.

I was willing to pay $600+ for the first iPad when it came out since there was nothing like it at the time, but that's not the case anymore. The iPads are just not a good value or capability-rich proposition given the range of products out there. Give me a Nexus 7 or Windows 8.1 tablet.

I definitely wouldn't say no to a free retina iPad Mini, though, or an Air. Fantastic tablets, I just don't want to pay the premium.

Plus I have my Nexus 7 set up with Giganticon. Giant app icons + Torque + car mount = happy Crono :)

Last edited:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I bought a Nexus 7 32GB LTE yesterday.

Besides the $280 price difference between it and the Retina iPad Mini 32GB LTE, I also enjoy the form factor of the Nexus 7 more (I can easily wrap my hand around it).

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
The Mini without a doubt. Yes, it is to expensive but it is what I'd choose. Personally I'm going to wait for refurbs down the road.

*disclosure: I'm neck deep in the Apple ecosystem that isn't going to change.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Nexus 7 2013 user here

The iPad mini retina is a superior device the question is it worth almost double the price?

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
To be honest, my 5" HDTV/computer has killed any desire to use a small tablet.

Necrolezbeast

Apr 11, 2002
Nexus 7 because of price and for personal use. I, however, haven't been able to replace my classroom ipad 2 with an android device because of lack of awesome interactive whiteboard applications.... so.. personal use, Nexus 7, work use iPad mini Retina...

As always, it comes to what you need in a device and which one accomplishes that need.. if both do, then that's when I personally choose a cheaper device given it is decent quality.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Here is the million dollar qution. Who here couldn't use $280? :)

Everyone I suppose, but that doesn't necessarily put the matter to rest. For instance, if I suddenly had $280 more than I did a minute ago, I'd be tempted to put it toward an ipad mini. I'm only refraining from buying one now out of some vague notion of fiscal responsibility, but just give me an excuse as good as $280 appearing from thin air and I don't know what I'd do. :p