Nexus (4?) - Next Nexus Phone

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
The goal of the Nexus devices to develop new software on well-known hardware. We're likely to see Google prefer Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 SoC in its next Nexus devices because it supports LTE.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
They are on a 6 month release cycle, KLP will come about 6 months after JB's announcement. With rumors of features and devices making their way into the blogosphere about a month before that.

On the 6 month cycle, Jelly Bean launched in July, so I'd be surprised to see KLP launch before next January. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of unveiling late this year.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
As much as people say the Nexus brand isn't about top end hardware, wasn't the Nexus One the launch platform for the original snapdragon (or among the first to get it)? That was definitely top-dog for its day.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
As much as people say the Nexus brand isn't about top end hardware, wasn't the Nexus One the launch platform for the original snapdragon (or among the first to get it)? That was definitely top-dog for its day.

That was also quite a long time ago. The single core Nexus S shipped and just a couple months later dual cores became common. And the same thing happened with the dual core Galaxy Nexus, just a couple months later everyone is shipping quad core phones.

I kinda wish Google timed it a bit better so their Nexus phone could have the latest and greatest SoC just as it's arriving. But it seems like maybe Google doesn't do that for a reason. They probably want to use the SoC that has been around a little bit and considered safe. Sounds like these Tegra 3 devices are having weird issues with IO performance, washed out color, flickering, etc. Google probably wants a SoC to be around a bit and have it's driver issues worked out before putting it in it's Nexus phone (though the Nexus tablet is fine to be a guinea pig).

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

Yes the Nexus One was top of the line for its day but the S and Galaxy Nexus haven't been top of the line. It seems they moved away from top of the line to more typical specs. I'm sure the new Nexus will at least be comparable to the GSIII and One X which by the time it's out won't be bleeding edge but will still be kick ass hardware.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Yes the Nexus One was top of the line for its day but the S and Galaxy Nexus haven't been top of the line. It seems they moved away from top of the line to more typical specs. I'm sure the new Nexus will at least be comparable to the GSIII and One X which by the time it's out won't be bleeding edge but will still be kick ass hardware.

I think its more a factor of bad timing than not wanting to have top of the line hardware. A 1ghz hummingbird was top of the line when the nexus s was released. We just don't think of it as such in hindsight because dual core phones came out right afterwards. Likewise with the gnex and quad core/A15 based SoCs.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I'm curious if it will have AMOLED screen.
Either (1) no (2) it will be the same 720p Pentile or (3) it will be made by Samsung. There is zero percent chance that Samsung will allow a competitor to have any AMOLED screen more advanced than the stuff out there now.
Yeah, but that was before Samsung and Nvidia were involved and pushing fast iteration.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I'm sure it will only be just slightly better than what's out right now. No way it's higher than the 720p screen as 1080p screens aren't available for mass production and it'll be quad which we already have. Maybe it'll have at least 1.5GB RAM but since the GSIII and One X have set the bar so high right now, it's hard to top what's already out. The Nexus brand has never been about bleeding edge hardware though so it's not devaluing the brand.

I'm curious if it will have AMOLED screen. Every Nexus had it, even the Nexus One by HTC.

A15 dual core with 720p IPS screen, 1gb ram, and improved camera. LG or Sony hardware. That's my prediction.

These are all more realistic predictions but my hopes would be a 720p IPS or super AMOLED plus screen plus a S4 pro SOC with adreno 320 plus a good 8mp camera(good sensor) plus either 16Gb+micro-SD slot or more built in memory.

Personally I don't see why they need to release a mid range phone like with the galaxy nexus. I can see the SoC being mid range maybe but memory(storage) and the camera won't have much effect on apps being developed. The only impressive part of the Gnexus was the screen, everything else was pretty much mid range when it came out but if I remember correctly it was selling for like $700 or more which is the same as a high end phone anyways. Right now the Gnexus is at a damn reasonable price but if the next nexus phone debuts at around $700 like the last it should be worth it hardware-wise imo.

Feb 19, 2001
I think its more a factor of bad timing than not wanting to have top of the line hardware. A 1ghz hummingbird was top of the line when the nexus s was released. We just don't think of it as such in hindsight because dual core phones came out right afterwards. Likewise with the gnex and quad core/A15 based SoCs.
this time quad core SoCs came out later, so I think we're not as screwed. Plus we're not having octo cores early 2013 or anything, so I don't think there's too much to worry about. A quad core is plenty fast.