Next Steps to Take to Fix 'Systemic Racism' - As Told by a CIS-Gender male with White Privilege

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Yes, fathers are undoubtedly important. I'll ask again, where does he support YOUR position?

OK I guess Im conflating two issues. systemic racism and the biugger issue of black on black crime. My bad. The Obama quotes addresses one not both. My bad.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You aren’t answering the question. You said systemic racism does not exist - if that’s the case then why are black people getting arrested 400% more for the same level of criminal activity?

I dont have an immediate answer. I have some thoughts but wont share them here. Now answer my question.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I dont have an immediate answer. I have some thoughts but wont share them here. Now answer my question.
It’s not relevant to the topic.

I hope the fact that you are unable to think of a reason why marijuana laws are enforced so disproportionately will cause you to rethink your statement that systemic racism doesn’t exist. Of course it exists, as seen there.

Reactions: Meghan54

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
OP didn't even respond to any of the well-thought out responses. OP didn't even respond to any of the well-thought out responses. OP didn't even respond to any of the well-thought out responses. OP didn't even respond to any of the well-thought out responses. OP didn't even respond to any of the well-thought out responses.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Next ask him if he can possibly see how this may impact the number fatherless households in the black community since that is, apparently, the root cause since systemic racism doesn't exist because Morgan Freeman said so.
It couldn't possibly be that a disproportionate number of the fathers are in prison due to the unequal enforcement of a law that shouldn't even exist.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Did the burning of Black Wall Street and murdering of its citizens lead to systemic racism for those people?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
What did I say that was racist?
so lets back up for minute! You do realize that when Black on Black crime is brought up it usually is NOT brought up to discuss?? It is brought up for other reasons, such as to change the subject or to try to imply that Black people are worse than white people....

Whenever black people try to talk about police brutality, it is inevitable that a white person will come in and say, “But what about black-on-black crime?” — as if members of a community killing each other negates the fact that police officers are killing unarmed members of the communities they’re paid to serve and protect. One has nothing to do with the other.
Let me say that again for the cheap seats. POLICE BRUTALITY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH “BLACK-ON-BLACK CRIME.”
In fact I contend that Black on Black crime is a myth perpetrated by white people!

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
so lets back up for minute! You do realize that when Black on Black crime is brought up it usually is NOT brought up to discuss?? It is brought up for other reasons, such as to change the subject or to try to imply that Black people are worse than white people....

Whenever black people try to talk about police brutality, it is inevitable that a white person will come in and say, “But what about black-on-black crime?” — as if members of a community killing each other negates the fact that police officers are killing unarmed members of the communities they’re paid to serve and protect. One has nothing to do with the other.
Let me say that again for the cheap seats. POLICE BRUTALITY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH “BLACK-ON-BLACK CRIME.”
In fact I contend that Black on Black crime is a myth perpetrated by white people!
He's the classic "not racist just says things a racist says."

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

Well, if you have some thoughts but won't share them here, the next question is WHY NOT?

Afraid of expressing your innermost thoughts on this subject will expose your racist soul?

And as to the third sentence, get fucked. If you cannot answer simple questions posed to you but instead choose to hide behind whatever the hell you said....."I can't answer that because it'd expose me as a racist".....then you have no weight to demand anyone answer a fucking thing you ask.

Grow a set, man up, and express what you think.....or are you just that much of a closet racist that you're afraid of being outed as such?

Reactions: JEDIYoda

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Well, if you have some thoughts but won't share them here, the next question is WHY NOT?

Afraid of expressing your innermost thoughts on this subject will expose your racist soul?

And as to the third sentence, get fucked. If you cannot answer simple questions posed to you but instead choose to hide behind whatever the hell you said....."I can't answer that because it'd expose me as a racist".....then you have no weight to demand anyone answer a fucking thing you ask.

Grow a set, man up, and express what you think.....or are you just that much of a closet racist that you're afraid of being outed as such?
Jesus. Rush to judgement much?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I suggest you all watch this video which is a compilation of many news sources and interviews with some of the most prominent black men in our country. Systemic racism is a myth. Keep in mind while watching it, as Obama is quoted in this segment, Obama had some very wise words about fatherhood.
I dunno do you have any thoughts about why the offending rate among black on black homicide is eight times higher than white on white?

Let me help you out here with a high level overview on how structural racism exists and causes increases in crime in the affected population.

In general a family’s wealth is a strong indicator of whether you will be wealthy, middle class or poor.
casselman-chetty-1.png

Those who are poor are over represented in prison. (I don’t think I have to draw the line between poverty and crime do I?)
women_income.png

men_monthlyincome_all.png

So if poor people are over represented in prison and family wealth has a lot to do with being in poverty what does racial wealth look like?

ff_detailed_5alt2.png

So why do black families have so little wealth?

Well:
  • From the 1600’s - 1865 blacks were slaves and had no wealth to hand down (to understand how bad this was you know how freaked the fuck out conservatives get, threatening 2nd amendment solutions or seceding, when Dems suggest increasing the marginal capital gains rate on investments by 5%, imagine being taxed 100% on all your income and wealth while being imprisoned and forced to work hard labor which is what southern democrats did to blacks up until the civil war)
  • 1865-1877 Reconstruction. You click the Imgur link I posted above for a quick summary of atrocities the KKK and racist white southerners did against blacks - killing hundreds-thousands to re-subjugate them
  • 1877-1950’s Jim Crow laws to keep them subjugated. Including redlining, lynchings, etc
  • Modern times, more redlining, war on drugs (notice how it stopped being a war and became an epidemic when whites started dying from opioids)

So after 400 years of systemic racism implemented at the local, state, and federal level preventing black families from creating and passing on wealth is it any surprise that the average black family is much poorer than the average white family?

It’s also not like the wealth they did create vanished. It went to enrich those who suppressed them. Their descendants are ahead of where they would have been had the US followed it’s ideals of equality before the law and being a meritocracy. Even those of us whose families emigrated well after the Civil War have benefited. Our grandparents and great grandparents didn’t have to compete with as many people for jobs or homes in better areas.

The wealth effect also shows that even if everything today was equitable which it’s not the impact of systemic racism is still being felt. Also you know how conservatives believe the 2nd amendment gives them the individual right to own a weapon to overthrown the government, the first amendment actually protects speech designed to have the government redress their grievances. It’s a check on tyrannical governments just as much as the 2nd.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You as a somebody who claims to deny racism point to this is proof!!!!
You did not at all understand what was being said!
Also did it dawn on you as one Black person said......I am rich and because i am rich I have no troubles with Police!

What was wrong with what you posted was NONE of these people were your average poor, plain old hard working black person!
Who do you think systemic racism affects?
Also is it not i9nteresting how the Police arrest a famous Black person say a Black NBA player they fall all over themselves apologizing!
yEAh right! There is no systemic racism-- that statement is pathetic!
You sxee it is numb nuts like you who are white and claiming there is no problem with the Policing of Black people....

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
The problem is most of these facts aren’t taught. I just recently learned about the Black Wallstreet Massacre in Tulsa (before it was referenced in Watchmen).

Why is it assumed this is the cause of today's differences? Go look at Japan and Germany from WWII vs. present. Not enough time to change? Go look how Jews persevered every time they dealt with adversity. Go look how Asians do better than whites in the "white supremacy" system. Or for that matter, explain why the black population should be equal in every aspect when Jews and Asians punch well above the white average income.

In general a family’s wealth is a strong indicator of whether you will be wealthy, middle class or poor.

Yes, but adjust for characteristics like IQ. it's weaker than it looks because there is a lot of assortative mating going on.

So why do black families have so little wealth?

I'm glad you had enough sense to post the median value rather than the mean. ~$170K is not a lot for what they accounted for. A person enlisted in the military from 2000 and retiring at 38 in 2020 has a ~$900K present value just from the pension.

It shows a significant portion of white people will receive little to no inheritance or help from parents. Even in cases where a parent makes $100K doesn't necessarily mean their children will confer a real advantage from it due to divorce or parents being wildly self-destructive.

Do you have any thoughts about why police arrest black people for marijuana possession 400% more than white people despite both groups offending at similar rates?

So if it was so racist, why did so many liberal pols and voters support it, including the black leadership? If someone supported criminalizing drugs like marijuana, you would think disproportionate treatment wouldn't really matter, since it's logical to think that they wouldn't have criminalized it otherwise if they thought criminalizing does more harm. We wouldn't say we need to release some of the black rapists or murderers to balance out the percentages if there was a disproportionate amount of black offenders.

Forman shows us that the first substantial cohort of black mayors, judges, and police chiefs took office amid a surge in crime and drug addiction. Many prominent black officials, including Washington, D.C. mayor Marion Barry and federal prosecutor Eric Holder, feared that the gains of the civil rights movement were being undermined by lawlessness―and thus embraced tough-on-crime measures, including longer sentences and aggressive police tactics. In the face of skyrocketing murder rates and the proliferation of open-air drug markets, they believed they had no choice. But the policies they adopted would have devastating consequences for residents of poor black neighborhoods.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It’s not relevant to the topic.

I hope the fact that you are unable to think of a reason why marijuana laws are enforced so disproportionately will cause you to rethink your statement that systemic racism doesn’t exist. Of course it exists, as seen there.

Systemic racism is likely part of it. But they tend to sell drugs on the streets in black communities, while they tend to be sold in doors in white communities. Street dealing is a magnet for law enforcement. It's much easier to catch.

I hear they "decriminalized" MJ in NY. IIRC there's no penalty for possession up to a certain amount, but they can still stop and frisk if they claim to smell it. Go the route of full legalization. Sometimes the best reforms to get law enforcement off the backs of black communities are race neutral on their face.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
OK, racism. Kudos for grappling.

Now, I happen to live in an enormously diverse place. I don't expect people I see out in public to look, act or talk like me. You might hear just any kind of language spoken and may very well have no inkling what language it is, what part of the world it originates from. Berkeley, CA.

I moved into my house when there were 5 other people living here. One was black. Everyone in the house but myself and the woman here were from Grand Rapids, MI, including the black guy. The circle of friends from Grand Rapids had been in high school together, I believe. There were a couple of those who had lived here before I moved in, and with the others still in the house, were in a local band that played around this area a lot. They would practice in the living room.

Since that time maybe 70 other people moved in and out of the house. None of them were black IIRC. We chose our roommates, sort of, although the process was never organized or codified. It just happened that no other blacks moved in. Almost all were white. There was an Asian, maybe a Eurasian.

I fully believe that we're all the same beyond some minor physical differences between the races. There's nothing about the physical differences that should add any fuel to any segregationist philosophies. Nothing.

Years passed, people moved out, others moved in... many small rooms here! We did not share food, at least not officially. Rent was exceptionally low per person for this area.

TBH, I feared if a black person moved in, what might happen. It's not something I ever talked about when we got new roommates, which we did sometimes by conferring and choosing. I don't recall black people answering ads. However, I thought about it and thought they'd likely bring other black people in here and maybe we and our property wouldn't be safe. There's more crime in the black community. Is that a racist attitude? Maybe. It's not because of anything intrinsic in being black, it's just part of the cultural milieu of black culture in America presently, (even in Berkeley) at least in a lot of places. All this was over 20 years ago, before I bought the house.

Right now it's just me in the house, so it's not an issue, that is, who my roommates are. Would I consider personal relationships with people of a different race? Sure. But owning the house, I have infinitely more control than when I shared the house with people who were largely strangers. A house shared by strangers has a strange dynamic. If you knew your housemates before moving in with them it's one thing, but if you didn't it's something else entirely.

Edit: Arguably, everyone's a racist...

Last edited:
Reactions: JEDIYoda

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
ding.....ding.....ding.....ding!

I can't believe he doesn't understand that. It's been the retort since I've been this forum

Reactions: TheVrolok

mistercrabby

Mar 9, 2013
If you can’t make a point without writing a masters thesis you’re in the wrong medium. But OP being a pedantic blatherer I’m sure this falls on deaf ears.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Jesus. Rush to judgement much?
I thought she took her time! There is no need to rush to judgement when it concerns something you say! Why is that?
Becauase it does not matter the subject we already know your response.....
Thus we can wake up in the morning browse through these forums....and say -- Oh look!! BlackAngst1 posted something!
Then go shave and wash up and have a cup of coffee with some pastry. Yawn a few times and mosey on over to the computer and then decide if a response is necessary...

Last edited: