Next Steps to Take to Fix 'Systemic Racism' - As Told by a CIS-Gender male with White Privilege

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Hey OP, will you watch Dave Chapelle's new special posted 2 days ago?

I suppose you'll just tell him "to shut up and make you laugh," right?

You refer to him a lot. I take that you think he is always "on your side." Which is hilarious, as I also get the distinct impression that you've never actually listened to a word of his.
Chappelle just keeps getting better. I've loved him since Robin Hood MIT and Half Baked (lol), but dude is an artist.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
You didn't watch the video.
Got 4 mins in and that's exactly what it was. Not surprising, but you're oversimplifying. Of course there are social problems within the black community, some of those resultant from centuries of systemic racism, some not. A number of rich and or famous black people saying, "some black people need to shape up!" is hardly the end all be all you want it to be. But hey, you're a simple guy.

Reactions: Meghan54

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You know, if the realities of Reconstruction America and the Jim Crow era weren't facts of history, it might be possible to entertain the idea that systemic racism doesn't exist here.

...but those are facts of history, and so it is simply intellectually vacant to even suggest otherwise.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Got 4 mins in and that's exactly what it was. Not surprising, but you're oversimplifying. Of course there are social problems within the black community, some of those resultant from centuries of systemic racism, some not. A number of rich and or famous black people saying, "some black people need to shape up!" is hardly the end all be all you want it to be. But hey, you're a simple guy.
You had preconceived ideas going into it therefore missing the entire point. But hey. That's how you are. If something goes against what you already decided, it must be shit.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
You had preconceived ideas going into it therefore missing the entire point. But hey. That's how you are. If something goes against what you already decided, it must be shit.
Want to discuss the points? Prove me wrong. Go for it. If it was not what I just described, please prove me wrong. We'll wait.

Or did you just find a website that fits your preconceived ideas that itself found/created a video to fit its preconceived notions? Funny that projection.

Or maybe you'll just cut and run like usual.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Want to discuss the points? Prove me wrong. Go for it. If it was not what I just described, please prove me wrong. We'll wait.
Nah. You've got your mind made up and already missed the overall point of the video as well as what it has to do with Obama's quote. If you're too stupid and close minded to figure out the obvious point, I'll let you sooner in your own misinformed stew.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Nah. You've got your mind made up and already missed the overall point of the video as well as what it has to do with Obama's quote. If you're too stupid and close minded to figure out the obvious point, I'll let you sooner in your own misinformed stew.
I certainly didn't as I admitted that there are absolutely problems in the black community (as there are in all communities) that are not the result of systemic racism and need work.

The fatherhood issue is certainly an interesting one, falling in both my aforementioned categories. You think that law and penalties being unequally leveled against young black males my contribute to some of the "black fatherhood" issues you're so concerned about?

What's funny, is that the Obama speech you're quoting touches on all the systemic issues but you've just chosen to ignore them.

I'll take it you can't read and you're cutting and running?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

You know, if it weren't a fact of history that the Voting Rights Act was implemented into law, specifically to reduce and hopefully erase the pressures of systemic racism in disenfranchising the black vote, predominantly in the south, to which it worked very effectively for nearly 50 years, until its rather distinguishable success shown by its decades of results in leading to roughly, much fairer elections, seemed to have "proved the opposite" by virtue of its "lack of evidence in voter disenfranchisement" lead to its gutting by an ignorant conservative court, and then proceeded to further prove its necessity as southern states, without any deference to a "classy delay in strategy" immediately proceeded to assault voting booths in poor, minority communities in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, NC, Georgia, and I guess many others, by the next election cycle...one might be able to entertain the idea that systemic racism doesn't exist.

But that is a fact of history, and plainly observable to this very day. ...this very week in Georgia's latest primary.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I suggest you all watch this video which is a compilation of many news sources and interviews with some of the most prominent black men in our country. Systemic racism is a myth. Keep in mind while watching it, as Obama is quoted in this segment, Obama had some very wise words about fatherhood.
Did redlining create systemic racism?
If Republicans were successful in racially gerrymandering VA and NC would that have created systemic racism?

Want to see an example of systemic racism? Going on the assumption the administration didn't intentionally exclude people of color you see the results of systemic racism.

Absent systemic racism Amy Cooper would not have known she could use the blackness of Christian Cooper against him and threaten his life with the police telling a lie

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You know, if it weren't a fact of history that the Voting Rights Act was implemented into law, specifically to reduce and hopefully erase the pressures of systemic racism in disenfranchising the black vote, predominantly in the south, to which it worked very effectively for nearly 50 years, until its rather distinguishable success shown by its decades of results in leading to roughly, much fairer elections, seemed to have "proved the opposite" by virtue of its "lack of evidence in voter disenfranchisement" lead to its gutting by an ignorant conservative court, and then proceeded to further prove its necessity as southern states, without any deference to a "classy delay in strategy" immediately proceeded to assault voting booths in poor, minority communities in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, NC, Georgia, and I guess many others, by the next election cycle...one might be able to entertain the idea that systemic racism doesn't exist.

But that is a fact of history, and plainly observable to this very day. ...this very week in Georgia's latest primary.

I didnt say rasicm doesnt exist at all, and Im familiar with our history. But in today's day and age, its easy to emotionally get dragged into the "racism is rampant" pool as thats what the news cycle is focused on. Statistics are all over the place also as this comprehensive study shows. But overall, I and many others dont see it as "systemic". Does law enforcement need further training? Of course. Thats always a good thing. But even today, as the study shows, many officers are hesitant to even pull their weapon even when warranted. And 50 officers are shot and killed each year by civilians. Where are the news stories about that? Where are the protesters? I would be willing to bet if the news were to constantly focus on good things officers around the country do, the public opinion would change.

Its a complex issue to be sure. But going back to the original post of mine in this thread, that prominant black people including Obama and many of those in the video I posted, the biggest threat to blacks in America isnt the police. Its the lack of a father figure in their life.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Its a complex issue to be sure. But going back to the original post of mine in this thread, that prominant black people including Obama and many of those in the video I posted, the biggest threat to blacks in America isnt the police. Its the lack of a father figure in their life.

This is such a bizarre collection of sentences. Obamas Father's Day speech didn't say that the lack of a father figure is a greater threat than the police. He didn't even say the biggest threat to the black community is the lack of a father figure. And he certainly didn't comment at all on a lack of systemic racism. How did you come to your conclusions? Why are you pretending people said things they didn't?

You hilariously projected your desire for confirmation bias earlier and here it is on full display.

You have a preconceived notion that systemic racism doesn't exist and that the real problem is a lack of a father figure and then use an Obama father's day speech (among others) that don't exactly say what you actually want them to say, to prove your point?

Geez dude.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I didnt say rasicm doesnt exist at all, and Im familiar with our history. But in today's day and age, its easy to emotionally get dragged into the "racism is rampant" pool as thats what the news cycle is focused on. Statistics are all over the place also as this comprehensive study shows. But overall, I and many others dont see it as "systemic". Does law enforcement need further training? Of course. Thats always a good thing. But even today, as the study shows, many officers are hesitant to even pull their weapon even when warranted. And 50 officers are shot and killed each year by civilians. Where are the news stories about that? Where are the protesters? I would be willing to bet if the news were to constantly focus on good things officers around the country do, the public opinion would change.

If systemic racism doesn’t exist then can you explain this?

By the way of course systemic racism exists, the research obviously shows this and if you want a few dozen additional examples that are based in actual peer reviewed research and not a YouTube video I can provide them.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Do you have any thoughts about why police arrest black people for marijuana possession 400% more than white people despite both groups offending at similar rates?
Next ask him if he can possibly see how this may impact the number fatherless households in the black community since that is, apparently, the root cause since systemic racism doesn't exist because Morgan Freeman said so.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
This is such a bizarre collection of sentences. Obamas Father's Day speech didn't say that the lack of a father figure is a greater threat than the police. He didn't even say the biggest threat to the black community is the lack of a father figure. And he certainly didn't comment at all on a lack of systemic racism. How did you come to your conclusions? Why are you pretending people said things they didn't?

You hilariously projected your desire for confirmation bias earlier and here it is on full display.

You have a preconceived notion that systemic racism doesn't exist and that the real problem is a lack of a father figure and then use an Obama father's day speech (among others) that don't exactly say what you actually want them to say, to prove your point?

Geez dude.

"The absence of fathers is important, Obama continued, because "children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and 20 times more likely to end up in prison."

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Do you have any thoughts about why police arrest black people for marijuana possession 400% more than white people despite both groups offending at similar rates?

I dunno do you have any thoughts about why the offending rate among black on black homicide is eight times higher than white on white?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
You know, if the realities of Reconstruction America and the Jim Crow era weren't facts of history, it might be possible to entertain the idea that systemic racism doesn't exist here.

...but those are facts of history, and so it is simply intellectually vacant to even suggest otherwise.
The problem is most of these facts aren’t taught. I just recently learned about the Black Wallstreet Massacre in Tulsa (before it was referenced in Watchmen).

I was aware in a general sense of the violent nature of reconstruction but had no idea of the scope until I saw this of all places on IMGUR.

After spot checking elsewhere on the internet his description seems correct.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
The problem is most of these facts aren’t taught. I just recently learned about the Black Wallstreet Massacre in Tulsa (before it was referenced in Watchmen).

I was aware in a general sense of the violent nature of reconstruction but had no idea of the scope until I saw this of all places on IMGUR.

After spot checking elsewhere on the internet his description seems correct.

I agree education is skewed in our public schools. About alot of things.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

"The absence of fathers is important, Obama continued, because "children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime; nine times more likely to drop out of schools and 20 times more likely to end up in prison."

Yes, fathers are undoubtedly important. I'll ask again, where does he support YOUR position?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I dunno do you have any thoughts about why the offending rate among black on black homicide is eight times higher than white on white?
Easy. Poverty.

Same reason Republicans have higher rates of obesity and lower rates of higher education, if we want to talk statistics.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You aren’t answering the question. You said systemic racism does not exist - if that’s the case then why are black people getting arrested 400% more for the same level of criminal activity?