Next on the list of who (what) to tax: robots.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
What exactly is it that you disagree with? Does this sound unreasonable to you?

If workers are going to be replaced by robots, as will be the case in many industries, we're going to need to adapt tax and regulatory policies to assure that the change does not simply become an excuse for race-to-the-bottom profiteering by multinational corporations

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
What exactly is it that you disagree with? Does this sound unreasonable to you?
Absolutely! There are too many complications. Will robots file an income tax return? Will they draw SS and Medicare? Terrible idea.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Would prefer if stores offered discount for self serve checkouts.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Will robots need to file income taxes?
if the company is profiting from the robot then the company should. and the robot aren't earning a wage but they are profiting the company in place of an flesh and blood employee.

You may laugh now but will you laugh if you are replaced by automation.

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I'd rather they tax them just because, but baby steps.

Corporations want to put us all out of work, except for a few to maintain the robots and AI. Of course no one will be left who can afford what they're creating, but that's too far in the future for the US version of capitalism to care.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Absolutely! There are too many complications. Will robots file an income tax return? Will they draw SS and Medicare? Terrible idea.
If those are the issues than taxing robots will work out just fine. When you define a problem to insubstantial issues it's called rationalization.

Last edited:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

It would help if you read the short article you linked. What are you even talking about with this weird tangent? Do you realize how obvious it is to everyone when you just read the headline and rush to post without reading the content?

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi and Meghan54

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I have long held that the robots should not be allowed to be privately owned, that as machines that serve they should serve one and all equally. This would also imply that the funds to develop them should come from taxes on people but also on corporations who profit from them. I believe that robotic labor can free humanity from misery.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
It would help if you read the short article you linked. What are you even talking about with this weird tangent? Do you realize how obvious it is to everyone when you just read the headline and rush to post without reading the content?
Theyre logical questions, which the article does not address.

• Haha

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
If they are going to tax robots for replacing people they are way too late to the party as this has been happening for at least 30 years.

I know the manufacturing company I worked for in 1993 were replacing some people with robotic arms back then.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Theyre logical questions, which the article does not address.

I'm honestly baffled that you think those are logical questions. I'll quote this again.

"If workers are going to be replaced by robots, as will be the case in many industries, we're going to need to adapt tax and regulatory policies to assure that the change does not simply become an excuse for race-to-the-bottom profiteering by multinational corporations,"

Why would you think an individual robot (what lol) would need to file a tax return or uhhh... draw SS (again wtf)? Where are you getting these ideas from?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I'm honestly baffled that you think those are logical questions. I'll quote this again.

Why would you think an individual robot (what lol) would need to file a tax return or uhhh... draw SS (again wtf)? Where are you getting these ideas from?
*shrug* Its a pretty ambiguous statement. Obviously theres more work to be done in this arean.

• Haha

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The answer to all of those questions is ‘no’. Easy!

Generally speaking the goal of technology is 100% unemployment where everything is automated. Automation technology will accrete wealth to those who control it, so unless we want some sort of dystopian Elysium society that’s going to need to be redistributed through taxation.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
*shrug* Its a pretty ambiguous statement. Obviously theres more work to be done in this arean.

Have you considered that the reason no one is asking those "logical questions" is because you are the only person that is confused on what it means to tax a business that displaces it's workers with robots?

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007

He thinks they're gotcha questions that prove that taxing robots is "absurd", when in reality they're just really dumb questions. Pretty typical of right wingers nowadays, it's pretty boring at this point.

• Love

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
If business get incentives and tax breaks by localities due to creating local jobs which both provide a social good through employment as well as tax revenue realized both through the corporate entity as well as the individual employee.....

Actually, I know how this turns out. It doesn't matter what I say.

Reactions: Pohemi and Meghan54

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
If they are going to tax robots for replacing people they are way too late to the party as this has been happening for at least 30 years.

I know the manufacturing company I worked for in 1993 were replacing some people with robotic arms back then.
Is your point that since they didn't start doing it back then, they can't do it now?
Or are you just pointing out that human labor has been replaced with automation in the past, which is something we all already knew?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
What is the end game here? Is it to slow the adaption of automation? Is it to create or strengthen a safety net? Is the expectation that we will have a large class of unemployed people going forward (more than the 4.5% we expect now)?

I’m not against the tax I’m just against short sighted policies.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
It is probably the depreciation value of the investment of installing a piece of equipment the depreciates over time. Just like a tanning bed in a Salon. But with far greater advantages.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I think robots already get social security. I mean a big chunk of the conservative base are these horrific racist loons collecting social security. The shit these people vote for and believe is insane so I'm pretty sure they don't have souls.

They are right wing robots of shittiness and they're collecting social security. It's already happening