Next huge game?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Zenoth
I think that Spore should have been able to be that type of game, but it miserably failed, and that is sad to be honest, I was really looking forward to play it for many years.

I think the problem is, no one knows what games on the horizon are going to have that 'charm' or whatever it is that makes a great game addictive to large numbers of people. Before the game launches you just have lots of hype from people with an interest in selling their product.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Denithor
Originally posted by: Zenoth
I think that Spore should have been able to be that type of game, but it miserably failed, and that is sad to be honest, I was really looking forward to play it for many years.

I think the problem is, no one knows what games on the horizon are going to have that 'charm' or whatever it is that makes a great game addictive to large numbers of people. Before the game launches you just have lots of hype from people with an interest in selling their product.

Amen to that. I was thinking this thread should have been limited to games already released. So many times games do not live up to the hype, even reliable franchises usually contain at least one "dud". It's just a crapshoot nominating unreleased games based on buzz.

My first thought was that BattleField 2 could be a game with longevity, if they never get around to releasing a Battlefield 3... three+ years old and still seeing 12K players online just any night of the week.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Well, I think Blizzard is trying to get SC2 right for the masses... I mean, all of the Starcraft tournaments at Blizzcon were played on Starcraft 2... not the original. Personally, I don't like it because the Zerg kicked my ass :(.

Originally posted by: wahoyaho
SC2, WC4, D3, WOTLK + anything else by Blizzard

I really don't think you're going to see WC4 until Blizzard ends WoW. I just don't see how you can really make two games that use the same lore and not have them step all over each other.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I just don't see how you can really make two games that use the same lore and not have them step all over each other.
Warcraft 4 could be a prequel to warcraft 1.

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
I just don't see how you can really make two games that use the same lore and not have them step all over each other.

Before WC 1 nothing really happened...if you read the last guardian is talks about how the wizard opened the portal and started the first WC...they can always make something up kinda like how C&C has 3 different storylines...

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Problem is they would have to make it either be a prequel, or a sequel that takes place far into the future. WoW is considered canon storyline I believe.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

Like what, the Orcs/demons before they came to Azeroth?

Damn, I shouldn't know this stuff...

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: 9mak9
I am still playing Diablo2 since it first came out...

US East? :)

Originally posted by: Beev
The reason I initially asked was that I'm looking at making a website, but I want it to be for a game that has staying power. I just recently made one for Disgaea 3 (which turned out really well if I do say so myself), but that game isn't exactly going to be played in a year and a half from now.

maplestory? xD

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
SC2 comes out before D3, so you won't have to wait for D3 to come out for a game with long staying power :p

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Problem is they would have to make it either be a prequel, or a sequel that takes place far into the future. WoW is considered canon storyline I believe.

Yeah and that's the problem... you either restrict WoW or your restrict Warcraft IV. I really should've asked about it at Blizzcon (mainly direct the question at the lore guy that was there during the WoW Q&A). I mentioned it in the WoW thread, but I think the new MMO that they're working on (which is not in the WC, SC or Diablo universe) is meant to shut down WoW, because even they realize that with WoW, they are unable to truly continue the Warcraft RTS games.

Also, I don't think a prequel could really be that much fun. I mean, you already know what happens, so the whole continuing of the lore aspect is pretty much gone (and for some, that's a no-no).

Calculator83

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Aikouka

Yeah and that's the problem... you either restrict WoW or your restrict Warcraft IV. I really should've asked about it at Blizzcon (mainly direct the question at the lore guy that was there during the WoW Q&A). I mentioned it in the WoW thread, but I think the new MMO that they're working on (which is not in the WC, SC or Diablo universe) is meant to shut down WoW, because even they realize that with WoW, they are unable to truly continue the Warcraft RTS games.

Also, I don't think a prequel could really be that much fun. I mean, you already know what happens, so the whole continuing of the lore aspect is pretty much gone (and for some, that's a no-no).

DEVIL MAY CRY 5,, WOOO MORE COMBOS.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Aikouka

Thats probably why Knights of the Old Republic was set thousands of years before the Empire.

rivet0r

Oct 9, 2008
Looking foward to SC2 and D3.

Although I've been saying this for quite some time; games arent what they used to be. I remember playing q1 tf FOREVER after release, as well as UO (IMO best MMO ever, til they ruined it w/ t2a and so on). Simple and effective. These new games are ridiculous, especially the database on these MMO's. You either live a real life, or you live an mmo life, period.

rivet0r

Oct 9, 2008
I just started playing that actually, my father plays it and nagged at me to start. He's a huge WWII freak.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: irishScott
I'm still playing CoH. Arguably the best RTS I've ever played.

Yup. I used to dislike RTSs because I couldn't really watch the battle I was fighting in all its glory - there's usually too much stuff going on back at the base or elsewhere. In CoH though, it's all on the front lines. And the awesome interface makes it so you can control everything pretty easily.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
FWIW, my opinion:

big games list:

counterstrike (original, source, whatever)
diablo 2
starcraft
dota (not wc3...)
some others..but anywayz

next big games will be ones that follow these games format.

designed to be easy to sit down and have a round. (most are round based. diablo 2 is open-ended)
single payment (not mmo)
consistent updates
etc.

Psynaut

Jan 6, 2008
The stargate MMORPG is just going into beta. I have no idea if it will be any good, but the idea is intriguiging. I am keeping my eye on this one and kinda hoping to get into beta.