Next huge game?

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Looking onto the horizon I see a lot of great, great games coming out, but how many are going to have any longevity? Take Diablo 2 for example. It was released 8 years ago and it's still played a ton. Do we have to wait for D3 before a game with that kind of staying power comes around again?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I would have to say Gears of War 2.

Gears is 2 years old and still constantly in the top 5 or so games played on Xbox Live.

And I wuold say that PC gaming is much different than console gaming. There are tons of PC games that have longer lifespans than console games. All the MMORPG's and what not ...

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Yeah maybe I should have posted this in PC gaming instead. Queasy, can you move it?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Do many people really still play Diablo 2?

Starcraft 2 might be as big as Starcraft

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
For me there are only two titles coming out in the next year that I will be playing for at least 2 years after they're released.

SC 2 and Empire Total War.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Beev
Looking onto the horizon I see a lot of great, great games coming out, but how many are going to have any longevity? Take Diablo 2 for example. It was released 8 years ago and it's still played a ton. Do we have to wait for D3 before a game with that kind of staying power comes around again?

SC2 will most likely come out before D3, both will prob be around for a long time

WoW has been going for 4 years new Xpac comming in a month so itll be around for longerm IDK if an MMO counts

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
So... I'm not seeing anything other than the two Blizzard games :p Seems like Counter Strike will be around forever, and Team Fortress 2 seems to be doing really well still, which makes me happy. Might have to get back into it :p

Originally posted by: Anubis
SC2 will most likely come out before D3, both will prob be around for a long time

WoW has been going for 4 years new Xpac comming in a month so itll be around for longerm IDK if an MMO counts

I'm kind of discounting MMO's because they're a whole different beast altogether.

Apr 16, 2008
Fallout 3
Starcraft II
Diablo III

Those are the only ones besides maybe Left 4 Dead that will have a very long life after the initial release.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Why Fallout 3 and L4D? Not discounting them, just curious as to what will make them last so long.

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
the game has to have something that will appeal to you over and over...now leaving out MMOs the games that are most likely to be replayed are RPGs

you look at adventure of FPS or action games it mostly the same thing over and over if you keep playing it. I mean I have still played Max Payne, Half Life, Beyond Good & Evil, etc. numerous times but they dont always have the same appeal because there really is not change in the game itself

Strategy games like Starcraft, C&C, Supreme Commander have replay mainly because of skirmishes and online of course...but its still the same things over and over

RPGs are a totally different game. You look at NWN, BG, Torment, Mass Effect, KOTR, witcher, etc. they all are very long and large games, but they allow you to customize your character, pick sides, make choices, etc. So you can play the game and make different choices and have different experiences. In the terms of say NWN2 you have a dozen classes to choose from and another dozen prestige classes to choose from. That way you have so many different ways to play it can still be fun to do it.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
Fallout 3, C&C Red Alert 3

Left 4 Dead probably isn't going to garner a large following. I still reallllly want it, but it hasn't been getting that much attention in my opinion.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
So... I'm not seeing anything other than the two Blizzard games :p Seems like Counter Strike will be around forever, and Team Fortress 2 seems to be doing really well still, which makes me happy. Might have to get back into it :p

I'm kind of discounting MMO's because they're a whole different beast altogether.

Why? A game's a game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: gorcorps

Why? A game's a game.
Thats true. But MMO's arent games, they're grindfests for people who cant find anything better to do.
Folks who do find something better usually have quit because they cant keep up.

My vote will be for the next single-player role-playing game that doesnt get made with EA's help.
Mass Effect was fun, but EA dumbed it down a lot for the console crowd. EA doesnt give a shit if people play a game for years on end. They just want games sold.
I am on my 2nd playthrough. First one was with a female soldier, second is with a male adept. I have to say the game feels exactly the same on its 2nd run, mostly because the bulk of the game consists of talking to people. I doubt I'll finish it again.

We need something with the staying power of Baldurs Gate or Knights of the Old Republic. I dont know if that will happen anytime soon.

As for Starcraft 2, I am seriously afraid it will not have the awesome gameplay everyone is hoping for.

EDIT: I could be wrong. I thought Oblivion sucked ass compared to its predecessor, BUT it managed to stay around. I guess folks really did breathe new life into it with the Mod Maker. I was sure hardcore fans would hate the new game so much they wouldnt bother modding it.

Apr 16, 2008
Why Fallout 3 and L4D? Not discounting them, just curious as to what will make them last so long.

Fallout 3 - Mod potential, plus if they get it right I will be playing it for a long time just like the first two titles.

Left 4 Dead - It's a valve game and recently they have been on a big kick on supporting their online games. L4D has the biggest marketing budget they have ever had for a game and I think Valve will keep adding more levels and features to it just like they have for TF2.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I think that Spore should have been able to be that type of game, but it miserably failed, and that is sad to be honest, I was really looking forward to play it for many years. I have to agree with Fallout 3, while I myself am not very interested in it I can at least see that it has a lot of potential especially for the modding community, it really looks like Oblivion set in a post-apocalyptic environment, and that isn't a bad thing at all, I will certainly be curious to see how it fares over time.

Then of course the inevitable StarCraft 2, I know I won't buy it, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that it will sell big time, it has in my opinion the potential to be the most selling PC game of all time, and the only other game with that type of attraction is Diablo III, I can see 2009 and maybe 2010 being the Blizzard years. I for one will prepare myself to lose (yes, lose, certainly not investing it) around four to five years of my social life to play it (outside of my job time, of course).

For me it's all about Diablo III and Empire: Total War... and maybe, I just say maybe FarCry 2 IF... I say IF the modding community is flourishing enough for it to prosper in different ways for years to come similarly to Oblivion for instance.

aclim

Oct 6, 2006
I still play Quake 3 alot. Mostly CTF. I also still play SC and WC# occasionally .

I can see SC2 and D3 to have nice replay value

knawlejj

Dec 2, 2007
TF2, SC2, D3. WC3 has a huge following, especially in the DOTA field...with that being said I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Demigod will have a large following only if the game is done well. If its not executed properly at release then it will die quickly and people will go back to DOTA.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Well, lots of people still play Warcraft III. That was released in what, 2002?
Counterstrike is still going strong too - when did CS1.6 first come out?

We have to take into account the fact that Blizzard games are played like it's life over in Korea, though. Blizzard has an entire country for its loyal fanbase.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Well, lots of people still play Warcraft III. That was released in what, 2002?
Counterstrike is still going strong too - when did CS1.6 first come out?

We have to take into account the fact that Blizzard games are played like it's life over in Korea, though. Blizzard has an entire country for its loyal fanbase.

1.6 was '03 but 1.0 was '00 so CS has been out for 8 years

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
It has to be a competitive multiplayer game, like SC or Diablo.

I'm betting on SC2 and Diablo 3, haha.

Also, MMOs don't count because they are simply too easy :p Those suckers last forever!