Next-gen API benches for RX 480 & 1060.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brandonmatic

Jul 13, 2013
Been saying this but it's hard to get through to people sometimes.. efficiency is heavily workload dependent. GCN is obviously designed for these LL APIs. And despite having all the extra compute logic rx480 is pretty efficient when properly utilized, like in that example.

That's a fair point. If the RX 480 continues to distance itself from the 1060 in DX12 and Vulkan then the efficiency will also skew towards the 480. I guess we'll have to see how the upcoming generation of games perform.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Good way to compare cards, games, AND API's! Nice work, thanks!

...and I'm happy to see the two so close together so I can shoot for whichever of the two is significantly cheaper!

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
That's a fair point. If the RX 480 continues to distance itself from the 1060 in DX12 and Vulkan then the efficiency will also skew towards the 480. I guess we'll have to see how the upcoming generation of games perform.

As was mentioned in another thread; in DX12 & Vulkan is would probably be better to compare the upcoming 470 to the 1060 and I have to agree. The 480 looks to be just pulling too far ahead of the 1060.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Yeah, but if you're a gamer you should have upgraded. I can understand why people/business that has no interest in gaming haven't switched. If you're a gamer and whine about that a game can't play on your win 7/8.1 computer, then it is your own fault.

I'm not justifying it (or knocking it). Just showing that a lot of people are not on Win10. DX12 won't work for them but Vulkan will.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
I'm not justifying it (or knocking it). Just showing that a lot of people are not on Win10. DX12 won't work for them but Vulkan will.

We have until what, Friday to upgrade?

Upgrading my wife's computer, but not sure if I want to upgrade mine if it means I have to reinstall most of everything.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Just an FYI, only like two of the programs I had on Win7 were not compatible with upgrade, and I didn't use either of them in the past two years so I did not care. It was pretty much upgrade in place, make a few personalizations, and everything just worked. I did not have to reinstall anything. Windows 10 has come a long way since August of last year when I first trialed it on laptops.

I think at this point I have 4 machines upgraded from Win7 to Win10.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
Just an FYI, only like two of the programs I had on Win7 were not compatible with upgrade, and I didn't use either of them in the past two years so I did not care. It was pretty much upgrade in place, make a few personalizations, and everything just worked. I did not have to reinstall anything. Windows 10 has come a long way since August of last year when I first trialed it on laptops.

I think at this point I have 4 machines upgraded from Win7 to Win10.

I just finished the install process on the wifey's machine. Everything that was there on Win7 is still in it's place. Even Steam Big Picture Mode came on automatically like usual when it was all booted up. Pretty neat-o :cool:

tonyfreak215

Nov 21, 2008
They've done a great job with the upgrade process. I've upgraded 10 computers in the last few weeks and every single one has been flawless. This is a huge contrast with my personal computer when 10 first came out.

If you are really against 10, I would do the upgrade anyways, then roll back. That way you have a 10 license should you change your mind in the future.

brandonmatic

Jul 13, 2013
Now that the 480 performance has jumped in ROTR, is that still a broken DX12 implementation? I guess it depends on whether it's faster in DX11 or DX12. Also the fact that the 480 is faster than the Fury X suggest that it's still broken.

5a4242a2-0d5e-4afa-a033-fc16a532210f.png

Feb 19, 2009
Now that the 480 performance has jumped in ROTR, is that still a broken DX12 implementation? I guess it depends on whether it's faster in DX11 or DX12.

It depends on whether it's faster than DX11. If both vendors are still slower in DX12, then you can't seriously claim that's a good implementation.

May 11, 2008
Honestly, I'm surprised Windows 10 nearly has 20%. Windows 7 is Windows XP all over again. Windows 7 users definitely don't care about new API's.

I think mostly these are corporate pc systems. Not much gaming going on, on those machines. And it is often mentioned vulkan will allow W7 users that do want to game next gen (vulkan based) titles to play anyway. I have no idea how that will turn out in reality.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Now that the 480 performance has jumped in ROTR, is that still a broken DX12 implementation? I guess it depends on whether it's faster in DX11 or DX12. Also the fact that the 480 is faster than the Fury X suggest that it's still broken.

It may be good for one arch (GCN 4th gen), but broken on another (GCN 1.2), dont you love low level apis? Expect to see a lot of this BS in the future.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
It may be good for one arch (GCN 4th gen), but broken on another (GCN 1.2), dont you love low level apis? Expect to see a lot of this BS in the future.
There could be this other possibility that GCN4 specific features make this better than the previous (gen) GCN cards.

Yup PS5 (Neo) & Scorpio based titles will shine on GCN4, this will be a growing trend, just as we're seeing DX12/Vulkan titles make even the 7970 look better now.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016

They didn't retest the Fury X, it is using the older game patch (worse DX12 optimization) and older drivers, so they shouldn't have included it in the graph, or at least mentioned it on the graph.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I think mostly these are corporate pc systems. Not much gaming going on, on those machines. And it is often mentioned vulkan will allow W7 users that do want to game next gen (vulkan based) titles to play anyway. I have no idea how that will turn out in reality.

I'd really like to see someone run Doom with Vulkan on a Win 7-8.1 machine to see how it performs.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Mar 22, 2014
They didn't retest the Fury X, it is using the older game patch (worse DX12 optimization) and older drivers, so they shouldn't have included it in the graph, or at least mentioned it on the graph.

Mind boggling. I wonder what was the justification for presenting misleading data...

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Mind boggling. I wonder what was the justification for presenting misleading data...

this is not uncommon. most sites do not test all the GPUs when newer drivers arrive. Rather they focus on the specific card being reviewed. The effort to keep benching all GPUs with latest drivers for every card or GPU review is huge. In time we will see all GPUs also updated with latest drivers. The 16.7.3 driver notes mention 10% perf gain for Rx 480 for RoTR. How much other GPUs gain we do not know. It will be known when sites refresh all their perf data for older GPUs. These mostly happen with the launch of new GPUs.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
this is not uncommon. most sites do not test all the GPUs when newer drivers arrive. Rather they focus on the specific card being reviewed. The effort to keep benching all GPUs with latest drivers for every card or GPU review is huge. In time we will see all GPUs also updated with latest drivers. The 16.7.3 driver notes mention 10% perf gain for Rx 480 for RoTR. How much other GPUs gain we do not know. It will be known when sites refresh all their perf data for older GPUs. These mostly happen with the launch of new GPUs.

Yep, Techpowerup reviews are very out of date at this point as well for older cards. I thought he retested them regularly, but when people pointed out his charts were all wrong he mentioned that the doesn't actually retest the cards each run in his forums.

The problem is it isn't apparent that the cards are running older versions / unpatched games. It makes them misleading when comparing to new cards that have those performance fixes

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
Yep, Techpowerup reviews are very out of date at this point as well for older cards. I thought he retested them regularly, but when people pointed out his charts were all wrong he mentioned that the doesn't actually retest the cards each run in his forums.

The problem is it isn't apparent that the cards are running older versions / unpatched games. It makes them misleading when comparing to new cards that have those performance fixes
but that makes all his benchmark charts useless. completely. utterly.