Newly elected GOP congressman (NY) appears to have lied about ... EVERYTHING

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well, considering the new lowered bar for running for elective office, I must say all of us here at the Anandtech forums can now easily qualify. Hmmmm. I might eye that house speaker jobby thing. Wonder if it pays? Can I wear my batman costume? Can I pretend to be batman? Speaker batman? Leather gavel?
House speaker batman.... I like the sound.
Nancy Pelosi could be bo peep, and Matt Gates darth vader. Might as well wear a costume that reflects ones personality.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
While the media was largely asleep at the wheel, numerous republicans operatives knew about Santos lies. He was in fact advised to drop out of the race but ignored the suggestion.

This is the way the Republicans wished the media worked all of the time.

Reactions: Leeea

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
He's also a thief. Former room mates complained about their stuff getting stolen. Including a Burberry scarf that he was later seen wearing at a Stop the Steal rally in early 2021. :D

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Well, considering the new lowered bar for running for elective office, I must say all of us here at the Anandtech forums can now easily qualify. Hmmmm. I might eye that house speaker jobby thing. Wonder if it pays? Can I wear my batman costume? Can I pretend to be batman? Speaker batman? Leather gavel?
House speaker batman.... I like the sound.
Nancy Pelosi could be bo peep, and Matt Gates darth vader. Might as well wear a costume that reflects ones personality.
Herschel Walker could bury you by 15 points.

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
He's also a thief. Former room mates complained about their stuff getting stolen. Including a Burberry scarf that he was later seen wearing at a Stop the Steal rally in early 2021. :D

um, same roommate also claims many things were stolen, such as "several checks from a checkbook."

I mean, that's the thing the Brazilians want him for, and I think it was $7500+ dollars that he admitted stealing, for what is a fraud charge...

This does read a bit wierd though, like it's spoofy or a put on. It seems like this guy is the perfect villain because every day it's just some new crime he's done. Again and again...but of course repeated incidents of the same crimes, especially if provable (I mean, that stolen checks can be found and tracked. Since we know Santos is a check thief, there's no way he can't be tracked to this--he would have signed for them pretty quickly, I'd think). ...which is why I think this is just a weird dump of crimes/confessions. That's an easy thing to prove with those type of claims and with what is known already about this criminal.

I mean, if anyone is paying attention, of course.

Reactions: Leeea

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Santos is the kind of guy that the founding fathers would tar and feather then run out of town.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Seriously, this story is an amazing read:

"We went to go to a simple dinner investigation, and uncovered a decades-long local crime family with easily-researched convictions of human rights crimes and federal drug trafficking, etc, that are also extremely involved in laundering NY GOP campaign cash and very specific candidates."
HOLY CRAP

OMG! They found his Lazer Tag business! :D That's amazing.

(though maybe that was the Car Wash that he settled for, and he also has Lazer Tag and other Car Wash agreements to track down? lol)

(for those that don't get that reference...well go fuck yourself and get a clue, tbh)

but I mean...OK. You just read more and more about this place. HAHAHAHAHAHA. It's like a den of all the crimes imaginable for 2020-2021, all in one place with one of the bigger sudden criminals of our very temporary news cycle. This shit is strange. Maybe too strange....

I mean, this guy is actually funded by convicted human traffickers and drug runners...whom he pays back 200x of their donations in business fees for his "campaign funds"? lolololol.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Gotta be honest here guys, whomever his Democratic opponents was apparently did zero opposition research. Like literally zero.

Reactions: hal2kilo

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
On the positive side, his political career is finished. Whether he is gone before his term ends or not, theres nothing for him beyond that.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Gotta be honest here guys, whomever his Democratic opponents was apparently did zero opposition research. Like literally zero.

Not only should Santos lose his job, but so should the local journalists who covered the election, and whoever ran the Democratic campaign. Putin himself could probably get elected to the US Congress with this standard of scrutiny. All he'd need is a fake tan and some glasses.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Remember all those pasty white Republicans demanding the first black President produce his birth certificate. Because someone like Obama doesn't deserve to have that kind of status in this country. (google uppity)

How do we know this guy's name is really George Santos? Why isn't the media demanding he show a copy of his birth certificate?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I haven't kept up with this one. Why does the GQP have a problem with this guy? AFAIK he's just doing what plenty of them have done?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Can't excuse the voters too. They are responsible for this too. They have just as much burden of responsibility. He made it through a primary and a general.

I had a ton of questions on some of the randos that showed up in Oregon last year. Who the fuck was Carrick Flynn and where did get all of this cash?

Same with Joe Kent in WA.

We as voters should demand more. But that takes effort and the fact that our picked pony could actually be a mule. Being wrong is not something we accept in Murica.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Remember all those pasty white Republicans demanding the first black President produce his birth certificate. Because someone like Obama doesn't deserve to have that kind of status in this country. (google uppity)

How do we know this guy's name is really George Santos? Why isn't the media demanding he show a copy of his birth certificate?

Is he definitely old enough to hold office? Talk about "baby faced", in most pictures he looks as if he's barely old enough to shave.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
If you think about it, this guy had received so much bad press he will never be trusted by anyone again. And not just by voters. Even in his social circles no one will believe anything he says, even if truthful. He will be an outcast, ridiculed and taunted by many, a social leper. I doubt he has any friends. The only respect he will get will be from those who never heard of him or follow the news.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If you think about it, this guy had received so much bad press he will never be trusted by anyone again. And not just by voters. Even in his social circles no one will believe anything he says, even if truthful. He will be an outcast, ridiculed and taunted by many, a social leper. I doubt he has any friends. The only respect he will get will be from those who never heard of him or follow the news.

The fact that he just gets to dawdle around congress for the next two years without any ability to get yeeted by anyone but republicans is just...well...fucking infuriating. There's no recall mechanic and republicans are just going to sit on their hands and hope they can fill the press with enough other bullshit to overwhelm people and forget he's there.

We're so damn broken as a nation.

Reactions: thilanliyan
Mar 11, 2004

It sounds awfully similar to George Soros, he's a Democrat plant!!! (Not even joking, people should start seeding that to get Republicans to investigate this.)

Er, I take it you don't have Republican friends or family members? This type of behavior will be bragged about and conservatives will laugh it up and pat him on the back over it. Especially in the circles he's in now, those people operate like that themselves and assume everyone else is, which is how they justify their abhorrent behavior.

Reactions: Meghan54