Discussion New World - Amazon's MMO releasing 8/25

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's decent enough of an mmo, i haven't had any issues getting in but i haven't tried logging in during prime time hours, this was the queue last night for the servers that had streamers on them

View attachment 50855
Beyond the absurdity of a 2k player cap on servers, people following streamers around is up there with one of my least favorite parts of this simulation at this time.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Beyond the absurdity of a 2k player cap on servers, people following streamers around is up there with one of my least favorite parts of this simulation at this time.

I feel like promoting Twitch was one of the biggest motivators for making this game.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I feel like promoting Twitch was one of the biggest motivators for making this game.
Probably, but when you end up with one person running around picking herbs or whatever, and like 700 randos just following them around in order to feel more important, you have to wonder what the point of it all is.

*grumpily hops back on his single player games*

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I think the cap is neccesary now since everyone is in the start area. Once the population is a bit more spread out they'll probably switch to the regular cap.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I think the cap is neccesary now since everyone is in the start area. Once the population is a bit more spread out they'll probably switch to the regular cap.
It's a shame nobody's figured out how to take a large number of people that are all doing things in the same general area, and separate them in some kind of way to prevent them from all walking over the top of each other. Maybe call it an instance or something?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
It's a shame nobody's figured out how to take a large number of people that are all doing things in the same general area, and separate them in some kind of way to prevent them from all walking over the top of each other. Maybe call it an instance or something?

Or do something different than fetch quests from MMO's 20 years ago.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Stop worrying.
ALL MMO's have a huge population at the start. Players decide they don't like it and slowly trickle off. The MMO ends up with maybe one tenth of its initial population. Then very slowly grows as it gets popular. And they actually have a crapload of servers for a new game, they didnt fail. This is all normal.

My complaint is it could have been an excellent action game but they insisted on wasting play time with stupid ass fetch quests. Collect 50 god damn rabbit pelts for reason and get a stupid costume item. Its so irritating compared to a real game.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Stop worrying.
ALL MMO's have a huge population at the start. Players decide they don't like it and slowly trickle off. The MMO ends up with maybe one tenth of its initial population. Then very slowly grows as it gets popular. And they actually have a crapload of servers for a new game, they didnt fail. This is all normal.

My complaint is it could have been an excellent action game but they insisted on wasting play time with stupid ass fetch quests. Collect 50 god damn rabbit pelts for reason and get a stupid costume item. Its so irritating compared to a real game.

I mostly agree, however my biggest issue is that streamers mostly got in at server launch and had their minions donate gold to buy areas for their company. Probably would have happened anyways with larger populations, but the gold rush mentality to the game put me off.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I mostly agree, however my biggest issue is that streamers mostly got in at server launch and had their minions donate gold to buy areas for their company. Probably would have happened anyways with larger populations, but the gold rush mentality to the game put me off.
Oh yeah, every twitch stream I saw had tons of people donating to them.
Much more if it was a girl.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I know a lot of people online who are into New world, and I was considering trying it out. My question though is, would it be safe for my 3090? I have heard they fixed the card killing issues, but I have also heard that some cards are still dieing even after release. Not sure what to believe. Specs in sig.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I know a lot of people online who are into New world, and I was considering trying it out. My question though is, would it be safe for my 3090? I have heard they fixed the card killing issues, but I have also heard that some cards are still dieing even after release. Not sure what to believe. Specs in sig.
If I owned a 3090, I wouldn't.

I just saw another article about some people still experiences issues. Not sure if it's faulty build quality/configuration, or some kind of power bug with the game. I'd wait a few weeks and see what they figure out is the issue this time.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

I played with an EVGA 3090, EVGA 3080 Ti and laptop 3080 16GB 150W+ cards and had no issues. Granted I only had a few hours of in-game time, they all did run at full power on the queue screen.

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I played with an EVGA 3090, EVGA 3080 Ti and laptop 3080 16GB 150W+ cards and had no issues. Granted I only had a few hours of in-game time, they all did run at full power on the queue screen.
same, no issues at all with mine since release and with latest drivers

1633111954172.png

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Or do something different than fetch quests from MMO's 20 years ago.
Once you get the Amrith staff you put out infestations a'la Rift, couple other things to do, i skip most of the town board fetch quests as it's just a time trap and not worth the xp unless you have multiple things to do in that area. We had issues getting enough money for a town at the start mainly because of the queues being so long. Each member donating 1000g once they pick their faction shouldn't be an issue as a the quests that you get you to 8-10 give you a bit more than that, i think the first town was bought 5-6 hours into release, 2 have already been lost and changed hands.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
so according to a post at dot esports, the game peaked on opening day at one million players. 2nd day 750,000 players, each day after a peak of 450,000 players. Thats actually not wonderful for a new MMO from a tech giant like Amazon.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm enjoying the game so far. It's quite the simple game overall but I have fun exploring at my own pace. I hard long work weeks so when I have the time to play, I like to play something chill that I can enjoy at my own pace.

I'm only level 21 so far and I just do quests and I craft when I have the chance. Never tried PVP but might when i'm level 60, if I get there.

I will try to stay with the game until the first expansion or big content patch is announced and see what they want to do with the game. I have some hopes they will add some new stuff to do down the road.