Discussion New World - Amazon's MMO releasing 8/25

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
The official release date is August 25th, but there's an early access (called closed beta for some reason) that begins on July 23rd for those who pre-ordered.

I'm very much looking forward to it despite the fact that it's free to play. Normally I would avoid any F2P MMO, but the genre has hit hard times and you take what you can get, toxic community be damned. I am beyond burned out on FFXIV, GW2, and ESO, so a new Western Fantasy MMO is what I've been waiting for. My only concern is that there is a 99% chance it will be drowning in Pay to Win, and if it's not there at launch, then the P2W elements will be slowly implemented over the course of its first year.

Is anyone else looking forward to this game?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
it's going to be terrible, and it's not free to play, unless you mean no monthly fee....that said i'll be playing, it should have at least a month worth of entertainment.
I take that back it isn't bad

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Normally I would avoid any F2P MMO, but the genre has hit hard times and you take what you can get, toxic community be damned.

There are a lot to pick from. Why not try Rift, for example? I still have old games like Fallen Earth, but man is that dated.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
it's going to be terrible, and it's not free to play, unless you mean no monthly fee....that said i'll be playing, it should have at least a month worth of entertainment.
Plus they have confirmed microtransactions however so far they have only admitted to cosmetics, although there are pre-order items that provide in game bonuses, so time will tell but if it's a full mmo I doubt you can honestly expect just cosmetic items for long as we have seen in 99.9% of the games sadly that do something similar.

Just have to wait and see.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
the siege and city ownership mechanics are what a lot of people have been complaining about, it's changed direction a number of times and has morphed into something very different

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
After what Amazon did with Crucible, I am wary of anything they produce until/unless they turn that situation around.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I'm astonished that Amazon did the correct thing, they've delayed it again, this time until spring of 2021

this is good imo, they really need to flesh it out

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Well the beta is out, the game looks gorgeous but there appears to be a bit of an issue

Had this happen to me as well, screen went black, gpu fan just screaming, fortunately mine didn't brick , set fps cap and limited how hot the device can reach, seems to be working fine now....

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I'm very much looking forward to it despite the fact that it's free to play.

its buy to play..
it helps with the inital funding to start content out.

But later on, 99% of the time they change the model to free to play later on after DLC's have been released.

Black Desert Online / Guild Wars these are examples of buy the game to play first, and then later on moved to the F2P model.

Had this happen to me as well, screen went black, gpu fan just screaming, fortunately mine didn't brick , set fps cap and limited how hot the device can reach, seems to be working fine now....

While playing OPEN GPU-Z please.
Can you post the values i circled in red next time you get a chance when you play any game.
1626894041223.jpeg

I suspect your Hotspot and Memory temp i circled at the top two maybe the straw that breaks your camels back, as those are the rear VRAM stats.
This is a sort of easy fix...

1626894349427.jpeg

Add surface area to the surface you want to cool.
This also wont void warrenty, just pull the ram sinks off, as they are just secured by thermal tape.

Make sure you have an active fan on it tho... or double up on ram sinks.

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
its buy to play..
it helps with the inital funding to start content out.

But later on, 99% of the time they change the model to free to play later on after DLC's have been released.

Black Desert Online / Guild Wars these are examples of buy the game to play first, and then later on moved to the F2P model.

While playing OPEN GPU-Z please.
Can you post the values i circled in red next time you get a chance when you play any game.
View attachment 47522

I suspect your Hotspot and Memory temp i circled at the top two maybe the straw that breaks your camels back, as those are the rear VRAM stats.
This is a sort of easy fix...

View attachment 47523

Add surface area to the surface you want to cool.
This also wont void warrenty, just pull the ram sinks off, as they are just secured by thermal tape.

Make sure you have an active fan on it tho... or double up on ram sinks.
1626912252608.png
1626912327472.png

after about 4 hours of playing, i had closed it maybe 10 min and saw your post and re-opened it to check temps, it did not like logging back in at all , it was in a crowded area as well....before that it had run perfect other than some rubber banding

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
yeah look at your hostspot and memory temp... if that is the temp under 10% memory load imagine it at 80% with a loaded gpu.

73.6 and 72... your rear ram is getting slightly toasty.... well its still well within acceptable ranges but im seeing your gpu is not at full load on those temps, so you may want to throw some ram sinks on the backplate and put an active fan on it.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
How does software fry a GPU? If you set an FPS cap like say Vsync it shouldn't be a problem.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
How does software fry a GPU? If you set an FPS cap like say Vsync it shouldn't be a problem.
It shouldn't be able to. Something like this has nothing to do with the game itself but more to do with AIB partners making some liberal adjustments to the firmware that go above and beyond the recommendations made by Nvidia.
The 3090 pushes the limits anyway and if AIB partners decide to push it a little more and don't provide adequate cooling solutions then I guess something like this could happen.

It's kinda weird though because I always thought when hardware like gpu's reach their limits it should throttle or shutdown the system. Maybe Nvidia gave to much leeway to their AIB partners this time when it came to modifying the firmware? Either that or some partners used severely shoddy components?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I can play it for hours and the hot spot temperature eventually will reach 75c but mostly at around 70c , however 1 minute at the login/character select screen and i jump straight to 75c, try not to idle at that screen

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I don't have this game (and am not interested in it) but see GPU-Z memory temprature go to 90C in Cyberpunk and Metro Exodus. I have a Corsair case sensor on the backplate that goes to 80C, so the thermal interface seems ok but the backplate is not dissipating enough heat. This heatsink seems to be the right size, I'll try it out and see if it improves things.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i've watched Asmongold play this on Twitch, the game just doesn't look interesting.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

It's going to be terrible and you're going to be playing it? Are MMOs that bad these days?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I haven't seen anything ground breaking or anything really innovative, it's fine for what it is doing though. It's pretty, but i can see it getting old quickly, it will be fun for a couple of months i think.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I haven't seen anything ground breaking or anything really innovative, it's fine for what it is doing though. It's pretty, but i can see it getting old quickly, it will be fun for a couple of months i think.

Just don't milk any bulls.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD
Feb 4, 2009

Is it a super easy mode mmo like pretty much every mmo?
I hate how every mmo either hands you everything and nothing requires risk or effort or they go full PvP and it is impossible to get anything done unless you dedicate far more time than I am will to.
What I miss are big worlds where you can go nearly anywhere and/or get lost in. I don’t like roads or horses or some fast travel method from hub to hub. These worlds look big but are actually really small
I want there to be risk, I do not expect to be able to stay logged in, talk to my wife, make a sammich, eat the sammich, clean up trash then sit down and say oh sheet I didn’t log out and find my dude just standing there being hit by monsters. That is stupid. Making a game where it is close to impossible to fail is boring.
I don’t like super long “artistic” quests. Reading a ton of boring text that some random game designer thinks are epic words is boring.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Is it a super easy mode mmo like pretty much every mmo?
I hate how every mmo either hands you everything and nothing requires risk or effort or they go full PvP and it is impossible to get anything done unless you dedicate far more time than I am will to.
What I miss are big worlds where you can go nearly anywhere and/or get lost in. I don’t like roads or horses or some fast travel method from hub to hub. These worlds look big but are actually really small
I want there to be risk, I do not expect to be able to stay logged in, talk to my wife, make a sammich, eat the sammich, clean up trash then sit down and say oh sheet I didn’t log out and find my dude just standing there being hit by monsters. That is stupid. Making a game where it is close to impossible to fail is boring.
I don’t like super long “artistic” quests. Reading a ton of boring text that some random game designer thinks are epic words is boring.

-if you flag in pvp you do not lose items in your inventory , so there's that, from what i have seen death just means item lose which you then need to repair with gold and a few items, at lower levels this is meaningless

-the world is large, one of people's main complaints is the large amount of running around they are doing, running from town to town can take you 20-30 minutes , there are no mounts
-there is a fast travel system, it relies on a magic currency that you accumulate for finishing quests , this currency maxes out at 1000 , it takes about 100 to travel between places, the more weight on the character the higher the cost , certain abilities will lower the cost of this travel

-not a fan of this either, thankfully you can just skip most of this, quests do have you travel from point a to b to c and back to a and that can take a while due to the travel system

-combat feels like ESO without the animation canceling (?) , it's aimed targeting although for melee the hitboxes appear to be quite large, magic and ranged need to be a bit better at targeting
-

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I HATE WALKING 45 MIN to do ONE STUPID QUEST, and then having a 60min wait time gate lock on teleporting back to your home base 45 min away.

They seriously need to fix this, or give us faster mounts.

As it is teleporting is only possible in villages or a fast teleporter, but the map is so big....

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
One of the nice things though that i really liked.....everything that is in your bank is accessable for turn ins or for crafting in the town you are in without actually having to be in your inventory.....jfc why did it take so long for someone to do this....

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
One of the nice things though that i really liked.....everything that is in your bank is accessable for turn ins or for crafting in the town you are in without actually having to be in your inventory.....jfc why did it take so long for someone to do this....

but that is only at the town you store it in..

you cant cross access storage from other towns.