New VW Golf (MkV). Quite the looker with the power to back it up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< No offense to your Dodge, but my dad's '90 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue is the worst piece of sh!t thing we have ever owned. The thing has has 3 computer blow, transmission was fried, and the thing has all kinds of glitches with the security system. And it only has 65,000 miles on it. My Camry has 105,000 miles on it and has had nary a problem. >>

Too bad he had the garbage Mitsu V6 (or the V-sick as we call it), the trannies that went with that thing were trash as well, the electronics were flaky. Dunno about the computers, I've gone through 2 dodges myself, and I know a legion of people on a mailing list who have never had a ECU go on them....weird Hell, I even run mine without any cooling (the intake air is supposed to pass over the ECU to cool it off) and it's been fine for months now :D

But you're right, VW has very solid midsize cars, and nothing in the US compares with them, but just remember that works vice-versa as well ;)

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Man and I'm still here at work, what am I doing!!

about the 3 ECU's in your car going south... sounds like a factory reject, something is wrong with the grounds on that car if it's going through computers like that.

Sugadaddy

Banned
May 12, 2000

<< Driving enthusiasts will no doubt be keen to sample the forthcoming 3.2-litre V6, which has been estimated to produce as much as 250bhp. Coupled with four-wheel drive, this is the engine that is expected to propel the high-performance RSi flagship units in the latest VW range. >>

hmmmm :) VW is king,

you can keep your dodge trucks...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
When the hell is VW gonna bring over an AWD golf???? Audi snubbed us and won't bring over the S3. VW needs to import over about 1500 US Legal 4motion golfs with a 6 speed and 220+ HP and sell if for under 24k. Judge the response and then maybe consider doing a full production the next year. I'm thinking a factory tuned turbo'ed or supercharged VR6 would rule!

Hatchbacks are in the comeback. Buyers are getting smarter. Come on VW, give us something fun!

JayPatel

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Not that impressive??? Yakko have you ever driven in a car before and after a 45 HP increase? its like night and day...