Question new upcoming intel cpu

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
should i wait for upcoming intel cpu for gaming pc or go with 9th generation when they are on discount? i play mainly games only like battlefield series and metro series

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@mopardude87

Z390 vs whatever is the next chipset (Z470? Z490?) is mostly a wash. One gets you a 9900ks as its top-end, and one gets you a 10900k + maybe PCIe 4.0 (we don't know). For gaming I see no real advantage to either platform. There's a 125w version of a 9900k on the new platform, so if you enforce TDP strictly (yeah right), you might get some more clocks out of it than a 9900k forced to follow its TDP.

He'll probably just get something based on poor research and ride that 1660Ti bottleneck into the sunset.

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
@mopardude87

Z390 vs whatever is the next chipset (Z470? Z490?) is mostly a wash. One gets you a 9900ks as its top-end, and one gets you a 10900k + maybe PCIe 4.0 (we don't know). For gaming I see no real advantage to either platform. There's a 125w version of a 9900k on the new platform, so if you enforce TDP strictly (yeah right), you might get some more clocks out of it than a 9900k forced to follow its TDP.

He'll probably just get something based on poor research and ride that 1660Ti bottleneck into the sunset.

Yeah i may not even wait and hop on a 3700x or 3900x next week especially if these checks pan out. Kinda having a fun time with some folding@home and well either cpu will be good for gaming for 3+ years. Maybe a few extra years out of a 3900x. Not sure on which yet.

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
i hurriedly upgraded to 1660ti as asus gtx 770 got dead and gave artifacts but i will upgrade gpu too my budget is 3000$
can i upgrade everything with this and when will new intel cpu be out thanks all

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
also this pc will be last upgrade of my life so need to future proof for 5 years atleast evreything on ultra 4k @60 fps constant

Not even my 5.2Ghz 9900KS with DDR4 4000 CL15 and 2080ti OC can manage 4k60 ultra in everything. And that's not exactly a cheap build.

If you're not combining a 2080ti with a 144hz display, I don't even recommend Intel as an option at the moment.

Get us a budget and what you have, if anything, of existing parts to work with, and we can get you the best possible build suggestions. It's too difficult to do this without clear details. It sounds like you're interested in 4k 60fps gaming, that's useful info and tells us a lot. Non VRR low refresh gaming like that means you should save big and go fairly budget on your CPU, Ram, and Mobo, and go as big a GPU as you can fit in the budget.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Given how badly desktop sales in general must be doing right now, I would not be surprised if Intel lowers prices at the last minute. Of course they may just cut supply instead.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Given how badly desktop sales in general must be doing right now, I would not be surprised if Intel lowers prices at the last minute. Of course they may just cut supply instead.
You have to believe that cutting prices is the last thing Intel wants as a precedent. For now, all financial data can be blamed, rightly in some cases, to the infection, so a ready excuse is available.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Intel has/had supply problems for 14nm. They can pivot production towards dice that have been in short supply over the last year. Not sure which will falter first: Demand for 14nm Xeons (Cascade Lake-SP, 4p/8p Cooper Lake) or large-core desktop parts.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Intel has/had supply problems for 14nm. They can pivot production towards dice that have been in short supply over the last year. Not sure which will falter first: Demand for 14nm Xeons (Cascade Lake-SP, 4p/8p Cooper Lake) or large-core desktop parts.

Both pretty likely. It sounded like to me that Cooper (Cedar Island) was going to be a limited release only to Facebook and some other customers and they are mostly going to sell Cascade Lake Refresh. -50% for desktop volume is a conservative estimate, it would be way bigger of a drop than that. All those corps that would be buying OEM desktops... their employees are either going to be unemployed soon or working from home.

If they would be to pivot to anything, it would be Laptops. Sales volume there is TBD.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Lots of people are buying laptops right now to work from home.
I guess what I don't understand about that, is that to truly work from home, you need to be sitting at a table/desk, no distractions, no TV, an office atmosphere. I worked from home for over 10 years on a desktop.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I guess what I don't understand about that, is that to truly work from home, you need to be sitting at a table/desk, no distractions, no TV, an office atmosphere. I worked from home for over 10 years on a desktop.
Plenty people put a laptop there, even in office.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Plenty people put a laptop there, even in office.
I know, I see them squinting.... Unless you are 20-30 years old, you need a big display to work comfortably...And some have a laptop with a big display. Then they ask me to recommend a new laptop every 2 years, as theirs died. My desktop ran for 15 years, the same CPU, no problem. Laptops don't work well when used heavily a lot of the time.

BTW, I still have that old machine. Its not powered up, but it could if I needed it. It has a dual core E8400 I think. ? 3 ghz ? I just looked it up. That came out in 2008. I must have had something in there before that and just upgraded the CPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: moinmoin

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I know, I see them squinting.... Unless you are 20-30 years old, you need a big display to work comfortably...And some have a laptop with a big display. Then they ask me to recommend a new laptop every 2 years, as theirs died. My desktop ran for 15 years, the same CPU, no problem. Laptops don't work well when used heavily a lot of the time.

People don't respect the desktop anymore.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I know, I see them squinting.... Unless you are 20-30 years old, you need a big display to work comfortably...

They have docking stations that can take care of that just fine.

People don't respect the desktop anymore.

There are (were?) plenty of Corps out there who preferred the desktop form factor. But that was with an expectation that the worker would be onsite 5 days a week which obviously short term isn't happening.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
You don't get it. They have a big monitor hooked up to a docking station. The laptop still dies in a couple of years or less.
They have docking stations that can take care of that just fine.

There are (were?) plenty of Corps out there who preferred the desktop form factor. But that was with an expectation that the worker would be onsite 5 days a week which obviously short term isn't happening.

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
Not even my 5.2Ghz 9900KS with DDR4 4000 CL15 and 2080ti OC can manage 4k60 ultra in everything. And that's not exactly a cheap build.

If you're not combining a 2080ti with a 144hz display, I don't even recommend Intel as an option at the moment.

Get us a budget and what you have, if anything, of existing parts to work with, and we can get you the best possible build suggestions. It's too difficult to do this without clear details. It sounds like you're interested in 4k 60fps gaming, that's useful info and tells us a lot. Non VRR low refresh gaming like that means you should save big and go fairly budget on your CPU, Ram, and Mobo, and go as big a GPU as you can fit in the budget.
3000 $ i can buy 144hz too and i dont want VR

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You don't get it. They have a big monitor hooked up to a docking station. The laptop still dies in a couple of years or less.

Can't say I'm aware of failure rates. I've never had a laptop completely die on me. Clearly people aren't going to be lugging home desktops so laptops are what workers will be using.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I found a Dell Latitude laptop on a curb once, it had one messed up usb port and lacked a hard drive. I slapped in a spare ssd and that second gen i5 ran just peachy. I gave it to a friend who uses it maybe still to this day for classic Ruinscape. Not bad for free right? Of course the people who tossed in had more money then sense, cause i saw this flashy Benz parked in their driveway.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Reactions: Arkaign

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
The laptop still dies in a couple of years or less.

what.gif

I've got MacBooks from 2010 that still work great. My son's laptop is 4-5 years old and it's just fine. Mom has an older Dell XPS 13" that's maybe 7-8 years old.

Heck, our company moved the entire workforce (100k) to laptops years ago. I buy new laptops just because of the performance, but I've got co-workers who have 5-7 year old Dells they use. Never heard of laptop failure rate being "a couple of years". That's insane.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
View attachment 18751

I've got MacBooks from 2010 that still work great. My son's laptop is 4-5 years old and it's just fine. Mom has an older Dell XPS 13" that's maybe 7-8 years old.

Heck, our company moved the entire workforce (100k) to laptops years ago. I buy new laptops just because of the performance, but I've got co-workers who have 5-7 year old Dells they use. Never heard of laptop failure rate being "a couple of years". That's insane.
Well, you did not work for the company/department I did. It was a big company (>100,000 employees) and someones laptop was always breaking. My old manager became afriend, and after we both retired, I have replaced her personal laptop 3 times in 5 years. I don't care who believes me, I know what I saw.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Well, you did not work for the company/department I did. It was a big company (>100,000 employees) and someones laptop was always breaking. My old manager became afriend, and after we both retired, I have replaced her personal laptop 3 times in 5 years. I don't care who believes me, I know what I saw.

Yeah i know people who get the cheap lap tops thinking they got a good deal, they usually ALL have issues with the things after some time. The curb find i mentioned from earlier seemed like a solid one and i was surprised it even worked flawlessly minus the bad usb port. Looked like something got stuck in it and someone got a knife to it but overall fully functional.

I think most mobile cheap stuff is deliberately designed to fail, i have a Motorolla E5 play and i swear with the updates i get harped for they usually break something. I am having all kinds of issues with it as before during last year i swore it was the best phone. I even did a full on restore and STILL issues so its not me. Coincidence has it both friends both got LGS same time as me and both are having issues. Not even 2 years old.

Forced obsolescence should be illegal. Not sure if i got a case but i got many more examples of perfectly good phones deliberately breaking. I may be contacting a attorney. I called Metro with the complaints, all i get told is to buy a new $200 phone. Well isn't that dramatically convenient?

Reactions: Arkaign