New U.S. diet guide recommends fewer calories, more exercise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
But but Atkins says I can eat all I want, as long as it is not a bread... So I can eat BigMac's without bread all day long. So off to McJunkfood I go....

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
Yeah, I am a fat ass, but I am trying to do something about it. I have lost down from 370 lbs to 324 (just weighed in at Gold's Gym this morning) I have hired a personal trainer to help keep me going, and I have also changed my diet drastically. No more fast food, no more drive thrus, Cut out breads and refined sugars, got rid of the sodas, lots more fruits and vegetables, and plenty of exercise. I do 30 minutes in the morning on a treadmill, get my heart rate up to about 140, then hit the free weights for 4 sets of 8 each exercise, concentrating on one muscle group a day, then do a 15 minute cool down on the treadmill. Hit the showers then off to work.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
But but Atkins says I can eat all I want, as long as it is not a bread... So I can eat BigMac's without bread all day long. So off to McJunkfood I go....
Hehe.....this is sadly right on the money for a lot of people.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
We all know this already, but most people are too lazy and care too little about their lives to do anything about this, which is why - although this has been right forever and everybody knows it - people are generally willing to spend tons of money on anything that is easier.

Originally posted by: Ulfwald
Yeah, I am a fat ass, but I am trying to do something about it. I have lost down from 370 lbs to 324 (just weighed in at Gold's Gym this morning) I have hired a personal trainer to help keep me going, and I have also changed my diet drastically. No more fast food, no more drive thrus, Cut out breads and refined sugars, got rid of the sodas, lots more fruits and vegetables, and plenty of exercise. I do 30 minutes in the morning on a treadmill, get my heart rate up to about 140, then hit the free weights for 4 sets of 8 each exercise, concentrating on one muscle group a day, then do a 15 minute cool down on the treadmill. Hit the showers then off to work.

:thumbsup:

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
We all know this already, but most people are too lazy and care too little about their lives to do anything about this, which is why - although this has been right forever and everybody knows it - people are generally willing to spend tons of money on anything that is easier.
That and they "don't have time to exercise". :roll:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Fausto

Kiss my atkins biker boy!

:p

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: vi_edit

Kiss my atkins biker boy!

:p
I'd fscking die if I tried to follow Atkins and kept riding. :p

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

Keep at it!

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Originally posted by: buck

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Chalk this up under the Mr. Obvious category, right next to "Do not eat Ipod Shuffle."

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: NakaNaka
Chalk this up under the Mr. Obvious category, right next to "Do not eat Ipod Shuffle."
If it were that obvious, Americans wouldn't be quite so tubby. ;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
And if you are patient you will succeed.

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
BTW, My trainer's step father DIED on the Atkins Diet. What did he die of...................??????????????? Cornary Artery Disease. MAJOR FLIPPING HEART ATTACK!!!!!, all 4 arteries to the heart wer 90% or better BLOCKED!!! No chance of recovery, he just keeled over right there. Yeah, she says he was as thin as a rail, but his cholesterol was terrible, and his BP was off the charts.

I have lost a lot of weight the past few months, but I am moderating everything, proteins, carbs, sugar, veggies, etc. Rather than 1 big honkin meal a day, I now eat 5-6 small meals a day, mostly consisting of veggies/fruit, and lots of water. I drink 3 52 ounce mugs of water a day. so I know that when I lose 10 lbs in a week, it is not water weight. It is actual fat.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: NakaNaka
If it were that obvious, Americans wouldn't be quite so tubby. ;)
Can't wait to hear the singing stomachs of America.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: meltdown75
Is it true that a growling stomach is caused by fat burning?
Nah...it's probably some death metal band playing on someone's iPod Shuffle.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
And if you are patient you will succeed.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
If I were use I wouldn't try to lose weight too quickly. You saw what happened to Fat Bastard. :Q

Ulfwald

May 27, 2000
No, what happened to fat bastard? I am losing about 4-5 lbs a week, there fore I am losing it right on schedule.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
but.....but....why work hard and discipline my life when i can just pop a diet pill!?!?

*hugs a box of twinkies*

my guess is that there will ALWAYS be a market for "loose weight without exercise" pills/fad diets/etc, no matter how obvious it may be that a healthy diet and exercise can yield results.