New TV advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I would need to see the Sony next to the C2. I have an old Sony LED I got early 2017. How new is the Sony image technology?

Rayman30

Mar 7, 2019
I would need to see the Sony next to the C2. I have an old Sony LED I got early 2017. How new is the Sony image technology?

Sony OLED TVs use LG panels, but with their own image processing and calibration, both higher end Sony and LG units typically feature a heatsink, which keep the panel from automatically dimming during high brightness (such as during static scenes) Sony TVs use Android, LG TVs use WebOS. Some folks really like Sony Bravia for movies, some prefer LG for being more well rounded.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Which LED model is that? I had the X900E in 2017, if I remember correctly. It was good but the following model, X900F, was hugely better in terms of processing power (they put in the same powerful picture processor in the X900F that they were previously using in their flagship TV model). If you have something like a 7 or 8 series Sony model, that wouldn't have a powerful enough processor so the quality won't appear as breathtaking.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
I recommend the HDTV Test YouTube channel for TV reviews and display technology. I like how he values picture accuracy and is using a mastering monitor in his tv reviews. https://youtube.com/@hdtvtest

But generally you can’t go wrong with C and G series LG OLED TVs. This year’s G3 will have a new technology called MLA (Micro lens array) which will give the TV noticeably higher brightness. Panasonic will also be using LG MLA OLED panels this year.

Reactions: Rayman30
Jul 27, 2020

The A95K's QD-OLED has an impressive Dolby Vision Bright preset.

Where this new QD-OLED comes up trumps is in the detail and colour contained within the brightest highlights. The A95K provides a lovely, subtle orange warmth that gradually fades towards the centre of a sunset but never truly disappears, whereas the G2 is largely white in the brightest areas. There’s more detail and shading to the bright, white clouds over Scarif from the A95K, too. This is where the new technology seemingly pays off: it’s not brighter than the brightest traditional OLED TV, but it does offer better brightness.

Switching to No Time To Die in HDR10, these excellent traits remain and our attention turns to the A95K’s overall colour balance, which is exemplary. It’s easy during one of the scenes at the beginning of the film (when Bond is watching Madeleine in the sea) for a TV to exaggerate Daniel Craig’s tan so that he looks slightly nuclear, but the Sony falls into no such trap, ensuring he looks healthily burnished but natural, while the scenery retains its glorious orange warmth.

A quick hop over to the Blade Runner 2049 4K Blu-ray (okay, we watched it from start to finish for the millionth time) proves that Sony remains the master of motion processing.

Sony commands a higher price coz they know their stuff.

Jul 27, 2020
I was browsing another store today. Here's what I saw:

Samsung S95B OLED: Looked good.

LG OLED: Once again, I failed to take note of the model because right next to it was

LG QNED80: This was brighter than the LG OLED with better, punchier colors. However, not as good as the Samsung OLED but considering the price (roughly $1100), it was pretty good.

There was no good Sony TV there. Only the 8 series which had poor brightness. The only TVs showing a picture worth seeing were the Samsung QLEDs and OLED and the LG QNED.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
  • Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I was browsing another store today. Here's what I saw:

Samsung S95B OLED: Looked good.

LG OLED: Once again, I failed to take note of the model because right next to it was

LG QNED80: This was brighter than the LG OLED with better, punchier colors. However, not as good as the Samsung OLED but considering the price (roughly $1100), it was pretty good.

There was no good Sony TV there. Only the 8 series which had poor brightness. The only TVs showing a picture worth seeing were the Samsung QLEDs and OLED and the LG QNED.

I've ruled out Samsung since they don't have Dolby Vision. I saw an LG QNED80 but did not see a QNE90. Not sure how much of an upgrade it is. It is 1399 at Bestbuy. Anywhere else to look? Walmart and Target etc usually only have low to mid grade TV on display. I want to see the LG C2 next to the QNED90 and next to the Sony offerings. I would have to see a noticeable difference if I am going to justify the extra money for a Sony.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The Sony A95K is the best TV for 2022, IMO. The only issue I had with it, is that it doesn't come larger than 65". Sadly Sony still hasn't said what their 2023 models will be. The LG QNED90 had too much bluming for me. It could have been the way it was setup though and I couldn't get the guy to let me see the remote for it. I agree with you on DV, and that means I wait until Sony says what they are selling this year.

Reactions: jamesdsimone
Jul 27, 2020
I want to see the LG C2 next to the QNED90 and next to the Sony offerings.
QNED90 is 8.1 on rtings while QNED80 is 7.4. I think a normal user won't be able to tell the difference between the two.

LG C2 will lose if you view it in store. The best way to judge an OLED is to view it in a relatively dark room.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I've ruled out Samsung since they don't have Dolby Vision. I saw an LG QNED80 but did not see a QNE90. Not sure how much of an upgrade it is. It is 1399 at Bestbuy. Anywhere else to look? Walmart and Target etc usually only have low to mid grade TV on display. I want to see the LG C2 next to the QNED90 and next to the Sony offerings. I would have to see a noticeable difference if I am going to justify the extra money for a Sony.

My bro in law has a Samsung and the remote is awful. Well the remote and the interface. I made him buy an optical cable before i figured out the stupid Samsung menu to get the receiver to send the correct signal over HDMI ARC.

But the remote has almost no buttons and that alone would be a deal breaker for me.

As far as DV versus HDR10+ , i think you are right HDR10+ may not last but at the same time HDR10 will still be the base standard for any HDR and I have two TV's with DV and i cannot tell a difference between DV and HDR10 even in Vincent's youtube videos i barely could see a difference.

Jul 27, 2020
I cannot tell a difference between DV and HDR10 even in Vincent's youtube videos i barely could see a difference.
It's impossible to tell the difference between the two from watching youtube videos. You would need to watch them side by side on two different TVs, one doing HDR10 and the other DV. Another thing that makes DV moot in my opinion is that LG and probably Sony do dynamic tone mapping on HDR10 content that has no support for DV. So they are upsampling HDR10 content to close to DV quality content. I personally would consider DV important only if you watch Netflix a lot, since DV is available there.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I've been through this crap before. 2023 TV models means you will be waiting till June at the earliest and could be up to December when the year end sale will make them affordable.
Samsung has started selling their 2023 S95C QD-OLED. My current set is a Samsung that I bought in 2018, so I've lived without DV this long.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
Samsung has started selling their 2023 S95C QD-OLED. My current set is a Samsung that I bought in 2018, so I've lived without DV this long.
Yes, and they have it in a 77" version this year. Early reports are good; they weren't supposed to be sold before 2/21, but there are a couple of people that managed to purchase last week and have been providing information on another forum I frequent. Curious to see how the C3/G3 will stack against it when they come out.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
It's impossible to tell the difference between the two from watching youtube videos. You would need to watch them side by side on two different TVs, one doing HDR10 and the other DV. Another thing that makes DV moot in my opinion is that LG and probably Sony do dynamic tone mapping on HDR10 content that has no support for DV. So they are upsampling HDR10 content to close to DV quality content. I personally would consider DV important only if you watch Netflix a lot, since DV is available there.

There may not be a lot of difference between HDR10 and DV now but I expect in the future there will be. And I would expect to be using this TV for 5+ years.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Yes, and they have it in a 77" version this year. Early reports are good; they weren't supposed to be sold before 2/21, but there are a couple of people that managed to purchase last week and have been providing information on another forum I frequent. Curious to see how the C3/G3 will stack against it when they come out.

I’m also getting reports from another forum, and they are making it hard to wait. I want the 77” but I’m going to do my best to wait.

Reactions: jamesdsimone

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
How does Sony's image processing compare to what a PC can do? I use Potplayer and there are countless image enhancement options to tweak the picture.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I’m also getting reports from another forum, and they are making it hard to wait. I want the 77” but I’m going to do my best to wait.

I'm a little space limited. 65" is the biggest I can fit in the space I have.

Jul 27, 2020
How does Sony's image processing compare to what a PC can do? I use Potplayer and there are countless image enhancement options to tweak the picture.
Sony is doing AI enhancement based on some huge database on the TV. It isolates elements on the screen and enhances them if it matches something in their database and it happens in realtime, like milliseconds. Stupid fast processing.

And it's already tweaked by their image quality experts so you can be rest assured that you are getting the best picture possible. Remember, Sony has movie/TV production experts in their studios. They have better expertise than LG or Samsung, though it seems Samsung probably hired a good deal of experts for their image processing too.

Last edited: