New to SSDs? Read this first before asking questions! (UPDATED 07/17/2011)

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Compared to any spinning drive, it is still extremely fast.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
If you have an option, choose synchronous. That will perform like most of the reviews.

jime1

Feb 22, 2015
If you have an option, choose synchronous. That will perform like most of the reviews.
Kingston SV300S37A/120G : Does the "S" stand for synchronous ? :|

What will be the other options as Kingston has messed itself quietly ?
Should I get a Transcend or ADATA or any other budget SSD ? my budget is $66.

Last edited:

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
This thread needs to be updated to clarify 2.5" vs pci-e vs mSATA vs m.2

Too much confusion in the pros and consider all the different form factors.

duongqd91

Feb 2, 2017
thethaominhphu.com
Speed: This is the absolute advantages of SSDs in comparison to HDD. A computer that uses SSD takes only a few seconds to tens of seconds boot while if using HDD will take time for 1 minute or longer range, speed is also true of the tasks on the computer, use the map graphics or gaming.
For the HDD, you can select a higher speed with the type of HDD (7200 rpm / min).

SeanFL

Oct 13, 2005
I live in Vietnam . Now price of SSD range 50 USD for 120GB Kingston . Not expensive , but speed still is only faster HHD a bit

You should see significantly faster speeds with the SSD. If not, something is probably setup wrong. The computer should boot 5 times faster and programs should open 5x faster. Whenever I work on a laptop or desktop that doesn't have an SSD, it's very obvious. Wonder if you can try to run one of the hard drive speed tests and see what type of speeds you're getting?

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
Long story short.
Installed a new SSD, replacing slow spinning HDD.
Old HDD went into a caddy and replaced ODD.
SSD had clean boot of Win10, and HDD was not connected.
SSD boots up in double quick time.
HDD connected, now the system takes 15 minutes to boot up, if it even boots, and does not recognise the HDD at all, though it is in BIOS/UEFI.
Boot order is set to SSD first.
SSD boots properly on its own.
HDD boots properly on its own.
Together they don't boot properly.
What is the solution?

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
Ok how about some specs of what these are going in???
Laptop or Tower?
Processor?
MB chipset?
O/S?
Bios?

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
Lenovo Z50-75 laptop with A10-7300 APU, latest BIOS flashed a few weeks ago.
Win 10 64-bit
SSD is a SanDisk Plus 240GB
HDD is WD 1TB

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
Laptop's BIOS are very limited compared to self built PC Towers since the BIOS is custom to that manufacture which may be a reason for the problem. One can't do a hell of a lot with a pre-configured Laptop (same goes for a desktop ordered from a computer manufacture).
It appears the O/S maybe getting confused with two drives with active partitions thou if that is right, it shouldn't be.
How did you load the O/S to the new SSD? By a 3rd party image program using the original HDD's image (I use True Image), or was it a fresh install?

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
Clean install using a USB stick and the Media Creation tool (or whatever it is called).

It definitely seems confused by the second drive.
Device Manager recognises that a second drive is connected, but nowhere else can it be seen. File Explorer and Disk Management are totally oblivious to it.
I've formatted the HDD to no avail.
When connected via USB it functions properly, but a portable HDD is not what I want. I want the HDD for active storage.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
Did you have the HDD installed at the time? Both drives in the Laptop?

If so, that maybe is the problem. It happened to me loading either 98SE or 2k Pro long time ago. I had 2 active drives, the files got scattered between the 2 drives.

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
Nope.
Every bit of advice I could find prior to installation was to remove the HDD until after the SSD had Win 10 booting correctly.
The HDD was only put back in when I wanted to sort out my Steam account.
On the next boot it took forever, and started crashing.
"kmode something something"
"storport.sys"

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
Ok, so much for that idea.
Do you have another HDD w/a O/S on it you could substitute for the drive that is causing the problem?

What kind of choices do you have for boot order in the BIOS?
How about choices for the type of drive(s) installed?

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
I've tried an alternative HDD but had the same issue.
My HDD was instantly discovered when installed in another laptop.

Boot order I've tried every combination to the same result.
Whether SSD or HDD was ahead in the boot order did not matter.
At one point it was causing the boot from USB to stop working despite being top of the boot order.
BIOS allows me to switch between UEFI or Legacy, and which to prioritise if Legacy is selected.
It defaults to ACHI, with an alternative of Compatible.
Drive partitioning is GTP on both drives.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
This is really over my head, I don't know what to tell you other than find a forum specifically for Lenovo Laptops. I hate to ask, do you really need a 2nd bootable drive on a Laptop?

How about someone else stepping in here??

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Does the original HDD still have a copy of Win10 on it? You mentioned the slow boot times only appear when you install the old HDD. Perhaps if the older HDD still has a copy of Win10 on it then it is causing a conflict when booting.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
^ That was what my concern was and is. ^

Have you swapped the SSD & HDD slots (positions)? Put the SSD in the optical bay and vice-a-versa.

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
It's been tested in all configurations; with and without Win 10, reversing slots, and with the HDD initialized/uninitialized.
The only configuration that sees both at the same time is when the HDD is connected as an external storage device via USB.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
Like I already stated, have you tried specific forums for this?;
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/bd-p/ll04_en
http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/lenovo.2/
Thou from my experience, manufacture forums leave much to be desired. ;)

When you booted w/ just the SSD, did you try it in the optical bay? If so and it worked, then I would have to say this is something that just won't happen for a unknown reason(s).
Why do you need two bootable drives in just a Laptop (which I believe I asked before)?