New to SSDs? Read this first before asking questions! (UPDATED 07/17/2011)

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by Zap, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Replacement

Replacement Junior Member

How do I move programs and data from a HDD to a SSD?

I am in the process of upgrading a computer and I have a new SSD that I want to run the OS and as many of the programs as possible. The old HDD still works and I still want to use it in this computer. The old HDD is 1 tb and has about 350gb used up. The new SSD is a samsung 840 pro that is 128gb. Obviously it is too small to have all of the info on there.

I downloaded EaseUS Partition manager, but now I do not know how to go about selecting files to transfer over to the new SSD.

Can anyone help me out with this? My tech level is fairly low when it comes to software

I skimmed through this thread, and got overwhelmed and thought that I would just ask...

2. red454

red454 Senior member

If you still have the original installation DVD for Windows (assuming you use Windows) and the installation CDs / DVDs for you other software, it is probably easiest to start with a fresh install on the SSD.

You can trim out all the unnecessary stuff from your current HDD (music, pictures, video, etc.), and you may get it down to less than 128gb and then make an image and copy it to the SSD. But my opinion is to start with a fresh OS install on the SSD if you can.

3. Replacement

Replacement Junior Member

If I clone it will all of the programs work as they did on the old HDD or do I have to install them again?

4. red454

red454 Senior member

They should work - the new SSD will be the new "C" drive. Back up anything important on another drive if you have one. Don't wipe out your current HDD until you are sure everything works properly.

5. shipinabottle

shipinabottle Member

I've already read the first 5 pages of this thread, and this page too, of course. One question comes to mind: Is it okay to error-check an SSD? I'm just using an OCZ Vertex 2 in a laptop with Windows Vista.

6. wand3r3r

wand3r3r Diamond Member

7. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Check for what kind of errors? You can run a SMART check on it.

8. shipinabottle

shipinabottle Member

^Oh, I just meant like a normal error-check, like the one we do for HDDs. You know, that error-check in the Windows box when we right-click on the main drive, "Properties", and click on the "Tools" tab.

9. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Well, a basic Windows Scandisk check might be able to fix file system errors, but don't bother doing a surface scan. It won't do anything useful, AFAIK.

10. ricardo.vix

ricardo.vix Member

Guys, one question...

I have a Samsung 830 256gb, but I would like to know if there's any SSD that justify the change of if should I keep my 830...

Thanks!

11. Zap

Zap Elite Member

Keep it. Only reason to buy another one would be if you need more capacity.

12. Psyside

Psyside Member

Hi guys, i'm a bit confused here.

I saw this great article Anand did, http://www.anandtech.com/show/6489/playing-with-op

But i'm still left confused, is the OP exactly the same as leaving 25% free of your OS volume, compared to leaving unallocated partition when you chose your SSD size when you format? what is the better option?

Thanks.

13. Zap

Zap Elite Member

AFAIK it is functionally the same, with the caveat that the OS may "use" what you think is empty space for various purposes (shadow copies? temp files?) if it is partitioned and available.

14. Psyside

Psyside Member

Ok, thanks. I guess i will leave like 25% OP on my 840 pro 256GB.

Also one more thing, do you think that write latency issues of the 128GB 840 pro, will be noticeable in every day usage? when would they be noticeable and how to re-create that scenarios? http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5128/samsung_840_pro_128gb_ssd_review/index7.html

They are the only reason i will be getting the 256, i don't need the additional space for sure.

15. Zap

Zap Elite Member

My personal opinion is that people obsess over numbers too much. For the most part any decent SSD is so much faster than a HDD that I don't even care anymore whether one SSD is faster than another. To use an analogy, do you care if a Ferrari 458 Italia is faster than a Honda Accord going down a ¼ mile drag strip when the alternative is walking?

I've read one instance where someone says Windows gets laggy if they delete a huge file, and they attributed it to the aggressive GC of the Samsung 840 Pro. I haven't heard anyone else outside of benchmarking make any remarks about this potential issue.

16. Octopuss

Octopuss Golden Member

Weeell... for the most part :p you are right. However, numerous SSDs in past looked awesome, and for whatever reason they sucked horribly in specific tasks. It's much better these days (even more so that nearly all SSDs are SATA3), but some differences are still there, sometimes.

17. Remobz

Remobz Platinum Member

This thread is a good read. Will take awhile though.

18. videobruce

videobruce Senior member

I have read into migrating from a conventional HDD to a SSD regarding the size difference. Large drives many times the size of a SSD.

What about migrating from a small partitioned HDD (say under 20GB) to a SSD where space is of no concern? IOW's nothing to trim? My system will consist of two bootable drives. A 32GB SSD and a HDD partition of 20GB or so. I do not store files on a active partition. I never have. Only the O/S and programs.

19. taltamir

taltamir Lifer

also, aside from speed there are also features (for example, encryption)

20. Psyside

Psyside Member

21. Zap

Zap Elite Member

You can always find the exception to the rule. Yes, an AMD processor will be better than an Intel processor in certain bencmarks, Obamacare probably benefits someone out there, and NAWALT. However, think about this...

Outside of the typical "prosumer" that frequents tech forums (AKA know-it-all nerds like myself who argue over brands like they were sports teams) and tech professionals who, you know, actually DO this for a living...

Pick someone at random who is currently using a reasonably modern personal computer with a HDD, and who doesn't need a lot of storage space. Replace their HDD with any current model SSD.

Will it be faster/better? Yes.

Heck, even one of the worst "current model" SSDs will be faster than a fast HDD.

VelociRaptor HDD versus Crucial V4 SSD

Regarding SSDs in the past, well, hopefully there isn't a cache of unsold SSDs sitting in some warehouse somewhere with Jmicron JMF602 controllers waiting to be unleashed onto unsuspecting consumers. D:

FWIW I still have several (maybe 5?) SSDs around here that use the original Indilinx Barefoot controller (with updated Trim-supporting firmware). I would rather use any of those than any HDD for running OS/applications.

Not sure what the problem is. If you currently have Windows on a 20GB partition, then yes you can clone it to a 32GB SSD and have it work. Why wouldn't it?

I would still recommend a higher capacity drive, however. Smaller capacities are usually done by cutting down on the number of NAND channels, which hurts performance. Also, if you EVER get into a position of needing more capacity...

Are you bragging or complaining? o_O

22. Psyside

Psyside Member

Bragging? no, i just ask if everything is fine, 4K 64 scores (writes) looks a bit down or i'm wrong? also what is this firmware? after i installed RST, the name of hardware ids is not loger there, so what firmware i actually have? thanks!

23. videobruce

videobruce Senior member

I don't know if there are any other problems other than going from a larger drive to a smaller SSD by rdeduciing the data on the original drive. I wanted to be sure there weren't any other surprised lurking I didn't know about.

24. Virgorising

Virgorising Diamond Member

Thank U, ZAP.

Just to say, I loved this sticky thread, esp given I am still overwhelmed by the minutae and infinite choices in moving to an SDD. Note: that is no kinda felony.

Not only are you laserbrained/truly authoritative about this subject, able to delineate elements intelligently, esp, anticipating questions/confusions lurking in the minds of many of us, but you also have an essentially joyful personality, AND SO, SOME WHIMSY.:biggrin: I esp loved "meh."

AND....any moment now:sneaky:... you will, perhaps, earn greater ownership of the detailed, objective reality of Obamacare on a level approaching that we are benefiting from re THIS still foreign to many of us.....subject.:cool::whiste:

THANK YOU.:D

25. Erva

Erva Member

Just got my first computer with an SSD in it and wondering if these are good or bad scores? Is it functioning properly you think?

http://i.imgur.com/8dXJs4R.png