New to SKYRIM

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
I hunt and craft early on. Cheap food, get some crafting skill, and have good gear sets for dealing with the weather.

Well, right now, I'm CTDing early on, but I think I may have tracked it down to the audio overhaul (which I rather like).

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I like the ideas in SkyRe, but have not yet played Skyrim vanilla all the way through. I have about 30 mods, mostly texture and lighting as well as the 2 DLC's and script extender. Opinions please on whether to install SkyRe, Uncapper and ReProccer or play through vanilla first. One thing I hated in Oblivian was the limits on skills and character advancement.

Is Skyrim as limiting as Oblivian in that respect? In Ob, I couldn't even advance my major skills because I had reached the max level of 50.:twisted:

thanks for your thoughts.

the Wife

ComplexEntity

Oct 18, 2013
I like the ideas in SkyRe, but have not yet played Skyrim vanilla all the way through. I have about 30 mods, mostly texture and lighting as well as the 2 DLC's and script extender. Opinions please on whether to install SkyRe, Uncapper and ReProccer or play through vanilla first. One thing I hated in Oblivian was the limits on skills and character advancement.

Is Skyrim as limiting as Oblivian in that respect? In Ob, I couldn't even advance my major skills because I had reached the max level of 50.:twisted:

thanks for your thoughts.

the Wife

Prior to patch 1.9, with every skill leveled to 100 you would reach the maximum character level of 81 and that's it. After the 1.9 patch, you can mark a level 100 skill as "Legend", which basically resets it to its original level (15) and refund your perks for that skill then you can level your char again. If you want to be the total package by maxing every single skill tree, you will need to reach character level of 252.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Skills_%28Skyrim%29

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
SkyRe/PerMa (you still need SkyRe to adjust scaling and such, if using PerMa) need the uncapper, and a special patcher. It takes a bit more time to add mods that make item or gameplay changes, as you need to do a new TES5edit merged patch, optionally a Bashed patch (Bash does merging of leveled lists better, while TES5edit helps with reference clobbering and such that can cause save corruption and stability), then run the patcher(s).

Some mods won't like the patcher. I'm going without a sorting mod ATM, FI, because some mods still need to update their Enhanced and Better Sorting pacthes, don't have any for REZ, so a lot isn't sorted well, and Another Sorting Mod seems to cause the PerMa patcher to crash. PerMa is better and more well thought out than SkyRe's perk rework, IMO, but it's also still getting patches and bug fixes.

Typically 150, instead of 100, is made a max. In Skyrim, you can reset a skill, but that's just so you can keep leveling. It's kind of silly, overall, since you then have to re-train it.

With SkyRe (or PerMa, or PerMa and SkyRe), you will be playing the same quests, fighting the same enemies, etc., just with more interesting perk trees, and if you use the optionals from SkyRe, tougher opponents (also, you can stack Combat Overhaul (part of the Epic Gameplay Overhaul), Revenge of the Enemies, OBIS+OBIS Redone, and ASIS (also uses a patcher), and SkyRe's optional plugins, and that's just the ones I personally use), without "tougher" meaning, "a direct shot to the heart without armor only removed 10% health, because of the difficult level setting."

All the added changes make the game more fun, to me (and clearly, many others), but either do not affect the game outside of combat and crafting, or do so very minimally (unlike, for example, the Civil War Overhaul :)).

Last edited:

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Thanks for clearing that up. I assume I have the patch since Steam updates regularly. However, SkyRe also changes armor/weapons stats, changes perks, enemy AI's and a lot more. Also, with the patch, will SkyRe still need the Uncapper?

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
No, not a patch to the game, a SkyProc patcher. The patchers are Java programs, that build the ESPs for mods like SkyRe, Automatic Variants, ASIS, and WTF. These mods maintain compatibility with vanilla mods that change NPCs, weapons, armor, magic, etc., by taking their changes into account, and building an ESP for the mods that is customized to your current load order. So when you change anything but meshes or textures, you have to re-run them (well, there are some other things you can change and not re-run them, but that's the gist of it).

So every time you make a change to your load order that isn't just graphics:
1. Make a TES5edit merged patch, and enable it.
2. Make a Bashed patch, that at least does leveled lists (that's all I let do, these days), and enable it.
3. Run the patcher(s), or SUM (a program to run multiple ones at the same time, if using several), then enable their ESPs (if not enabled automatically).

SKSE and the uncapper are necessary for SkyRe and/or PerMa, due to having perks that can require >100 in a skill.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Don't feel like creating a new thread, so just putting my question here.

Noticed I actually bought Skyrim a while back (as a gift, so did not see it in my library) and was wondering if it would be a solid travelling laptop game for me to play? Seems like it's old enough where I could play it ok on my laptop, or is it even worth it? My laptop is this one: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QBSSNZ4/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item

Just want to check before downloading a giant game. If it seems like a good idea, any mods or anything I need to start off?

Thanks!

KT

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010

Noticed I actually bought Skyrim a while back (as a gift, so did not see it in my library) and was wondering if it would be a solid travelling laptop game for me to play? Seems like it's old enough where I could play it ok on my laptop, or is it even worth it? My laptop is this one: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QBSSNZ4/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item

Just want to check before downloading a giant game. If it seems like a good idea, any mods or anything I need to start off?

Thanks!

KT

It will run easily on that, I am running it on a 860gtx, on a 4700mq i7. I can't really comment on the mods. I believe there is another thread that talks about whats good.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Thanks!

KT

SkyUI, the official HD texture pack to keep things simple. I like some standard visual mods like Climates of Tamriel, weather, things like that. None of these should be an issue for your laptop. I think Skyrim maxes around 4 or 6gb?

I would keep it simple. While I like Frostfall, which is a gameplay mod, it probably adds a bit too much to the early game for someone that hasn't played it before (Adds a frostbite and exposure function--so you have to make sure you carry proper tents and clothes, firewood, gather wood--as depending on where you travel, you can get caught in a blizzard and die fast if unprepared.). I think it's awesome, but early on, with limited bag space and how much time you dedicate to staying dry and warm, I think it would put you off.

Oh don't forget the boob and dick mods.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
It will run easily on that, I am running it on a 860gtx, on a 4700mq i7. I can't really comment on the mods. I believe there is another thread that talks about whats good.

Cool. :thumbsup:

SkyUI, the official HD texture pack to keep things simple. I like some standard visual mods like Climates of Tamriel, weather, things like that. None of these should be an issue for your laptop. I think Skyrim maxes around 4 or 6gb?

I would keep it simple. While I like Frostfall, which is a gameplay mod, it probably adds a bit too much to the early game for someone that hasn't played it before (Adds a frostbite and exposure function--so you have to make sure you carry proper tents and clothes, firewood, gather wood--as depending on where you travel, you can get caught in a blizzard and die fast if unprepared.). I think it's awesome, but early on, with limited bag space and how much time you dedicate to staying dry and warm, I think it would put you off.

Oh don't forget the boob and dick mods.

Excellent, thanks zin, I will grab the textures pack. The frostbite one sounds too intense for me on my first play. For the last thing, if I only want dicks, can I get that mod on its own, or am I forced to get the boobs too?

KT

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
Fwiw...I just started playing a couple months ago, vanilla + steam high res pack and I'm having a blast. I agree with Zin.....keep it simple, you can always add as you go.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Cool. :thumbsup:

Excellent, thanks zin, I will grab the textures pack. The frostbite one sounds too intense for me on my first play. For the last thing, if I only want dicks, can I get that mod on its own, or am I forced to get the boobs too?

KT

well, real answer: as far as I know, they are universal skin meshes. So they are either all sexes nekkid and endowed, or not. I imagine some of these have sliders and separate menus added to the in-game console menu where you can tick certain things on and off.

But ah...maybe this is what you are looking for: NSFW

I have a mess of unique armor skins, many of which require certain skin meshes which are baked into those armor textures, so that's why I have one of them installed. I think it's Caliente BBB or something like that.

But don't forget SKyUI--it is a must. I think you need SKSE for it, or maybe not (the script extender, which simply creates a new launcher from which for the game. Many mods require the script extender...but all the mods will list their specific requirements). The vanilla UI is so awful because it was designed exclusively for gamepads, and the inventory system is a complete dumpster fire. SkyUI gives a traditional list-based, searchable, and quick-organize feature Inventory as part of the full UI overhaul. ...the UI in the PC version is shameful, really.

lol, this is awesome, and pretty much exactly what happens if you ever start down this path:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSXwZT5VTVk

Last edited:

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
I personally think vanilla Skyrim is bland and buggier than if you just install the unofficial patch 'mods.' It's not a lot better with mods (and you can easily make it way worse), but I just don't have a really high opinion of the game and realize most people won't agree with my opinion.

When I do get an itch to play it usually goes like this:

Install Skyrim.
Get the mods that piqued my interest enough to re-install it.
Get all the other mods I've liked.
And then a few more I found while getting the others.
Game is now unstable and broken.
Remove some mods.
Wasn't those.
Remove some more, trying to nail down which mods don't like each other.
Keep at it until I give up and play something else.
Repeat above steps until I'm totally bored with it and uninstall.

Ive never played it myself, but this post made me burst into laughter.

Nice. :biggrin::thumbsup:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Got seriously into this game recently. Hate all the bugs. Cant get the "Bend Will" shout no matter how many dragons I kill after learning it. Buggy as all hell.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
well, real answer: as far as I know, they are universal skin meshes. So they are either all sexes nekkid and endowed, or not. I imagine some of these have sliders and separate menus added to the in-game console menu where you can tick certain things on and off.

But ah...maybe this is what you are looking for: NSFW

I have a mess of unique armor skins, many of which require certain skin meshes which are baked into those armor textures, so that's why I have one of them installed. I think it's Caliente BBB or something like that.

But don't forget SKyUI--it is a must. I think you need SKSE for it, or maybe not (the script extender, which simply creates a new launcher from which for the game. Many mods require the script extender...but all the mods will list their specific requirements). The vanilla UI is so awful because it was designed exclusively for gamepads, and the inventory system is a complete dumpster fire. SkyUI gives a traditional list-based, searchable, and quick-organize feature Inventory as part of the full UI overhaul. ...the UI in the PC version is shameful, really.

lol, this is awesome, and pretty much exactly what happens if you ever start down this path:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSXwZT5VTVk

Hmm, getting so complicated. I'll try it with just the HD textures and see if I find the UI as bad as you do. I seem to rarely have as many issues with those things as others do, so I may be ok.

KT

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Got seriously into this game recently. Hate all the bugs. Cant get the "Bend Will" shout no matter how many dragons I kill after learning it. Buggy as all hell.
That's pretty much the nature of Bethesda games I'm afraid. See predecessors Oblivion & Morrowind. If it weren't for the highly moddable engines & modding communities coming up with Unofficial Bug Fixes (as in "fixing literally hundreds of them") plus usable replacements (DarnifiedUI / SKYUI) for consolized stock UI's, they'd be virtually unplayable and far more downvoted. Come to think of it, Bethesda's recent attempting at charging for mods on Steam is totally back to front - the modders should be charging them for actually finishing the game off... :hmm:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Honestly, the only shout worth anything is the primary Fus-Roh-Gah, imo. The game is so easy to break without doing anything outside of the design (spamming blacksmithing with daggers, getting uber armor, becoming God early--eh, don't do that. It gets boring), or just hitting around level 20 and on, that the difficulty plummets.

As for bugs, the unofficial/unofficial patches available through Nexxus, maybe steam workshop has them, seem to work quite well. At least, I've never really had problems, so I assume those are always working.

I forgot to mention those, and I guess they are more or less essential. It's a Bethesda game, after all.

Hmm, getting so complicated. I'll try it with just the HD textures and see if I find the UI as bad as you do. I seem to rarely have as many issues with those things as others do, so I may be ok.

KT

I wasn't really bothered by default for a while, but once you start accumulating crap, and start to ask yourself why you have to constantly scroll down this list of individual items every time you go into your bag looking for something, and where half the screen is dedicated to a useless hovering image of that item, I couldn't remember why I tolerated default for so long.

It's a time-management improvement as much as anything.