new taxes

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: daniel49
Originally posted by: Deeko
A) This is old news, why are we reporting it as a new issue?
B) Obviously he was referring to income tax. Its cute that you attack semantics, because you can't attack substance. Everyone with even half an active brain knows he was talking about income tax. Try harder next time.

If money is going out of your wallet. does it really matter what kind of tax it is?
The result is the same.

Since you created this trolling sht-for-brains-of-a-thread, let's recap why you have the comprehension of an eleven day eroded corpse:

1) Title of thread says: "If you make under $250,000 you will see no increases"
2) You say: "So does that affect only the smokers that make over $250 k?"
3) Deeko explains the "250K with no increases" was clearly quoting income tax.
4) Apply for a brain here, it's the only place that can help you.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: winnar111
A couple years ago, they raised the cigarette tax and lost revenue. Of course, the idiot Democrats forecasted massive revenue gains and allocated it to their pet projects.

2 years later, they have a sizable state deficit and are crying that they need more cash. :laugh:

Know what: I hope the effect of the new tax increase is to HALVE the revenue.

If you think this increase is to enhance revenue you're even more of an imbecile than I thought.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: ScottyB
Only a brain-damaged baboon would whine about Obama in this instance.

Is this or is this not a massive tax increase on those who earn less than the magic number of 250K?

"read my lips, no new taxes" BB does it again.

As you righties like to say about gays, smoking is a lifestyle choice. Happy now?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: shira
A couple years ago, they raised the cigarette tax and lost revenue. Of course, the idiot Democrats forecasted massive revenue gains and allocated it to their pet projects.

2 years later, they have a sizable state deficit and are crying that they need more cash. :laugh:

If you think this increase is to enhance revenue you're even more of an imbecile than I thought.

:laugh:

Is that why our Democrat governor said that enhanced revenue could be used for schools and roads? Oh, and to close the state deficit?

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Good. The last thing I need is somebody smoking in front of my face giving me 2nd hand smoke and potential lung cancer. If it weren't harassment, I'd give them a knuckle sandwich. Then again, if we let them smoke as much as they want, they'd all die off pretty quickly, shedding the country of the scum.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Is that why our Democrat governor said that enhanced revenue could be used for schools and roads? Oh, and to close the state deficit?

What state? What were the tobacco tax revenues the year before and the year after the tax increase?

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: mugs

What state? What were the tobacco tax revenues the year before and the year after the tax increase?

http://www.philly.com/inquirer...es__lower_revenue.html

But after the last increase, which at the time gave New Jersey the highest cigarette tax in the nation, collections fell from $788.6 million to $770.5 million. Estimated revenues for fiscal year 2008 are $775 million, below the peak of fiscal year 2005.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

But after the last increase, which at the time gave New Jersey the highest cigarette tax in the nation, collections fell from $788.6 million to $770.5 million. Estimated revenues for fiscal year 2008 are $775 million, below the peak of fiscal year 2005.

To back up his argument, Edwards pointed to New Jersey's recent revenue and cigarette sales. The state raised its cigarette taxes in fiscal years 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2007. In the first three instances, sales shrunk but revenue grew.

Hmmmm...

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Carmen813
Originally posted by: Blankman1026
Originally posted by: Harvey
Good. Tobacco smokers cost the health care system far more than their share of total medical costs. If they want to continue smoking, taxing tobacco is a good way for them contribute to the added burden they impose on everyone else, and it's directly proportional to the cause.

Anything that encourages people to quit is good for the nation. :thumbsup:

do you have any proof for this statement? just curious

CDC estimates $193 billion per year in lost wages and healthcare costs due to Smoking.

Does that include pot?

What if we legalize pot, place a tobacco like tax on it and use all the extra dollars for health care for those who can't afford it. That seems reasonable.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

To back up his argument, Edwards pointed to New Jersey's recent revenue and cigarette sales. The state raised its cigarette taxes in fiscal years 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2007. In the first three instances, sales shrunk but revenue grew.

Hmmmm...

Sounds like they overshot the laffer curve in 2007 and are descending down that slope again in 2009.

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Good. I hope Obama raises it to the point where I can enjoy a fancy dinner in the patio of a restaurant without some fvcker smoking five feet away from me.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

No, baboons understood Obama was talking about income taxes.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: daniel49
Originally posted by: Deeko
A) This is old news, why are we reporting it as a new issue?
B) Obviously he was referring to income tax. Its cute that you attack semantics, because you can't attack substance. Everyone with even half an active brain knows he was talking about income tax. Try harder next time.

If money is going out of your wallet. does it really matter what kind of tax it is?
The result is the same.

Since you created this trolling sht-for-brains-of-a-thread, let's recap why you have the comprehension of an eleven day eroded corpse:

1) Title of thread says: "If you make under $250,000 you will see no increases"
2) You say: "So does that affect only the smokers that make over $250 k?"
3) Deeko explains the "250K with no increases" was clearly quoting income tax.
4) Apply for a brain here, it's the only place that can help you.

Another satisfied Obama fanboi! woot

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: jonks

No, baboons understood Obama was talking about income taxes.

give him time he'll renege on that one also.

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006
Don't want to pay the tax? Don't smoke.

It's painfully clear he was talking about income tax.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Good. Tobacco smokers cost the health care system far more than their share of total medical costs. If they want to continue smoking, taxing tobacco is a good way for them contribute to the added burden they impose on everyone else, and it's directly proportional to the cause.

You're missing the point. Obama specifically said over and over that he would not raise income taxes on people making less than $200,000. We would not see our taxes go up a single cent were almost his exact words.
And?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: XZeroII

You're missing the point. Obama specifically said over and over that he would not raise taxes on people making less than $200,000. We would not see our taxes go up a single cent were almost his exact words.

Change we can believe in.

so....you really thought this extended to everything beyond income taxes?

how utterly, fucking daft can you be? show me one administration that has not increased taxes on goods, sin taxes, etc. No RATIONAL human would have assumed that applied to everything beyond income taxes.

No RATIONAL human would think that our current economic situation would be free of drastic measures.

However, I have noticed how plenty of irrational people have jumped over themselves to blame the entirety of this problem on a man who has been in power for only 60 days.

The Sour Grapes Gallery needs to take a break. ...or just do us all a favor and confine yourselves in your tidy little bunkers for the next 8 years and just....get out of the way.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
It was pretty clear to me during the campaign that he was referring to taxes based on income, not sales and excise taxes. Should we hold him accountable for increases in state and local taxes as well?

President Barack Obama ? quasi State of the Union Speech ? Tuesday February 24th:

In order to save our children from a future of debt, we will also end the tax breaks for the wealthiest 2% of Americans. But let me perfectly clear, because I know you?ll hear the same old claims that rolling back these tax breaks means a massive tax increase on the American people: if your family earns less than $250,000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime. I repeat: not one single dime.

Guess he forgot the asterisk, or the really quick talk you hear on the radio in similar circumstances.

That's a lot of bone filling that head space. I'm surprised it left you with the capacity to coordinate your fingers well enough to type, let alone produce a recognizable language.

remember this one: "READ MY LIPS..."?

I'll let you fill in the rest, dingleberry.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: Carmen813
Originally posted by: Blankman1026

do you have any proof for this statement? just curious

CDC estimates $193 billion per year in lost wages and healthcare costs due to Smoking.

The CDC has produced some notoriously bogus cigarette-related studies, with tons of trumped-up data and numbers pulled from deep within their fear-mongering asses.

The only study regarding 2nd hand smoke that ANYONE ever uses to attack it, was the big CDC study, and has been thrown out and rejected universally due to its extremely spurious data.

The problem of course, is the validity in testing the concept of 2nd-hand smoke. How are you going to account for all of the other inhalants that people live with on a daily basis over the course of their lives? Car exhaust? FAR more dangerous than "2nd hand smoke."

point being, whatever you do, don't bring up a CDC study when trying to go after smoking.

and btw, I freaking hate tobaccy.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

Oh? then why is the extra tax money generated by this bullshit tax going twards kids heath insurance? hummm.

higher taxes just means more blackmarket shit dude.

If our government REALLY wanted to do something productive they would just make cigs illegal. but they wont because its a cash cow for them and we see how well prohibition works.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda and a whole bunch of lefties
talking about income tax!!!

He's only talking about income taxes, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aa4ipe4fhU

1:20 in.

"No family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cue the incoming apologists! I counted 8 of you, at first glance, who tried to put words in your hero's mouth.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
It was pretty clear to me during the campaign that he was referring to taxes based on income, not sales and excise taxes. Should we hold him accountable for increases in state and local taxes as well?

President Barack Obama ? quasi State of the Union Speech ? Tuesday February 24th:

In order to save our children from a future of debt, we will also end the tax breaks for the wealthiest 2% of Americans. But let me perfectly clear, because I know you?ll hear the same old claims that rolling back these tax breaks means a massive tax increase on the American people: if your family earns less than $250,000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime. I repeat: not one single dime.

Guess he forgot the asterisk, or the really quick talk you hear on the radio in similar circumstances.

That's a lot of bone filling that head space. I'm surprised it left you with the capacity to coordinate your fingers well enough to type, let alone produce a recognizable language.

remember this one: "READ MY LIPS..."?

I'll let you fill in the rest, dingleberry.

It's a good thing Zero is following the footsteps of a proven loser. Of course, he's got you and the rest of the fluffers between his legs, so I guess he'll be alrite.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

"No family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

Cue the incoming apologists! I counted 8 of you, at first glance, who tried to put words in your hero's mouth.

I'm winnar111 and I don't understand simple concepts, and I vote Republican!

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: CitizenKain

I'm winnar111 and I don't understand simple concepts, and I vote Republican!

I can't watch the video at work, but that quote looks pretty convincing. Is there something from the video that's missing?