new taxes

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: CitizenKain
Originally posted by: winnar111
He's only talking about income taxes, eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aa4ipe4fhU

1:20 in.

"No family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cue the incoming apologists! I counted 8 of you, at first glance, who tried to put words in your hero's mouth.

I'm CitizenKain and I don't understand the definition of the word 'any', and I vote Democrat!

Corrected.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: JD50

"No family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

Cue the incoming apologists! I counted 8 of you, at first glance, who tried to put words in your hero's mouth.

I'm winnar111 and I don't understand simple concepts, and I vote Republican!

I can't watch the video at work, but that quote looks pretty convincing. Is there something from the video that's missing?

The obvious defense that people will use is that the video is from September, and things changed between September and November, and between November and now.

Of course most of those same people who would defend Obama would have criticized a Republican if the situation was reversed. And most of the same people who are attacking Obama would defend a Republican if the situation was reversed. And the cycle of political hackery continues.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

Damn, I gotta give it to you, that is ownage.

I'm not sure how people can defend it still that he's not going back on his pledge. We can debate the merits of going back on it, but he made a pledge in this speech and is now going back on it. That is as cut and dry as it can be.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: mugs
The obvious defense that people will use is that the video is from September, and things changed between September and November, and between November and now.

Of course most of those same people who would defend Obama would have criticized a Republican if the situation was reversed. And most of the same people who are attacking Obama would defend a Republican if the situation was reversed. And the cycle of political hackery continues.

"I can make a firm pledge."

About as firm as a lazyboy couch.

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda and a whole bunch of lefties
talking about income tax!!!

What do payroll and capital gains taxes have in common with federal income tax? Oh yes, they're taxes on income. OBAMA HAS ALWAYS BEEN REFERRING TO INCOME TAXES.

You're such a hack.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs

I'm winnar111 and I don't understand simple concepts, and I vote Republican!

I can't watch the video at work, but that quote looks pretty convincing. Is there something from the video that's missing?

Ok great, pretty much as I thought, thanks!

I'm feeling better and better about my third party vote every day.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Jack Flash

What do payroll and capital gains taxes have in common with federal income tax? Oh yes, they're taxes on income. OBAMA HAS ALWAYS BEEN REFERRING TO INCOME TAXES.

You're such a hack.

RIF

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

You're such a hack.
"not any of your taxes". I don't know why it's so hard to admit that Obama is going back on his pledge. It's there plain to see in his own words.

any form of tax increase

not any of your taxes

Come on, this doesn't take a doctorate in linguistics to interpret.

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006

You're such a hack.

RIF

I have a free checking account with Bank of America. They say there are no fees attached to it. When I deposit my paycheck I have the understanding that there are going to be no fees leveraged upon me for the use of their ATM.

Bank of America sells prepaid VISA debit cards. If I want one I pay a fee for it. When Bank of America tells me that they will charge me no fees to spend my money through their checking services I understand that something they also regulate may have different terms.

You see how this connects?

The Obama administration is promising no increases in INCOME taxes on Americans making less than 250k. ('None of your taxes' directly refers to what he has just stated as income taxes) Leveraging a tax on a good is fair play.

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Skoorb

You're such a hack.
"not any of your taxes". I don't know why it's so hard to admit that Obama is going back on his pledge. It's there plain to see in his own words.

any form of tax increase

not any of your taxes

Come on, this doesn't take a doctorate in linguistics to interpret.

Explain to me how long I will serve in prison if I refuse to buy cigarettes at a higher price due to increased taxation.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

You're such a hack.

RIF

I have a free checking account with Bank of America. They say there are no fees attached to it. When I deposit my paycheck I have the understanding that there are going to be no fees leveraged upon me for the use of their ATM.

Bank of America sells prepaid VISA debit cards. If I want one I pay a fee for it. When Bank of America tells me that they will charge me no fees to spend my money through their checking services I understand that something they also regulate may have different terms.

I'm glad to see Zero is about as 'honest' as the bankers who bring us hidden fees and other unscrupulous activity that lefties slam on a daily basis. :laugh:

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006

You're such a hack.

RIF

I'm glad to see Zero is about as 'honest' as the bankers who bring us hidden fees and other unscrupulous activity that lefties slam on a daily basis. :laugh:

It's as if you try as hard as you can to be ignorant to rational thought.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Yawn.

Kindly quote 1 instance where any Obama aide has clarified his 'no new tax' pledge to be only on 'income' taxes. Preferrably one from before the election.

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006

Yawn.

Kindly quote 1 instance where any Obama aide has clarified his 'no new tax' pledge to be only on 'income' taxes. Preferrably one from before the election.

As canned a response as this seems, I have better things to do that dig through months of speeches in a vain effort to convince you of what is so blatant.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Yawn.

As canned a response as this seems, I have better things to do that dig through months of speeches in a vain effort to convince you of what is so blatant.

:laugh:

He said A.....but he really meant B........because......because.....well, he's articulate.

I'll be waiting for you to share your ESP and your alternative english language with the rest of us.

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Harvey
Good. Tobacco smokers cost the health care system far more than their share of total medical costs. If they want to continue smoking, taxing tobacco is a good way for them contribute to the added burden they impose on everyone else, and it's directly proportional to the cause.

Anything that encourages people to quit is good for the nation. :thumbsup:

qft

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006

Yawn.

:laugh:

He said A.....but he really meant B........because......because.....well, he's articulate.

I'll be waiting for you to share your ESP and your alternative english language with the rest of us.

Answer my question though. How many years will I serve in prison and how great a fine to I face if I do not pay this cigarette tax by not buying cigarettes?

Because one is a federal income tax which will not increase for those making under $250,000 a year and one is a tax on a consumable.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Because one is a federal income tax which will not increase for those making under $250,000 a year and one is a tax on a consumable.
And both are taxes, which can impact people making under $250k/year :)

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006

Don't like it? Don't smoke.

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006

If you make under $250,000 you will not see your taxes go up. The required taxes. The income tax.

If you CHOOSE to increase your tax burden by smoking cigarettes then that is your decision but the Obama administration is not going to increase your taxes based on your sub 250k income.

Clear?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

If you make under $250,000 you will not see your taxes go up. The required taxes. The income tax.

If you CHOOSE to increase your tax burden by smoking cigarettes then that is your decision but the Obama administration is not going to increase your taxes based on your sub 250k income.

Clear?
I do understand how income taxes differ from taxes on discretionary spending.

However, sin taxes are definitely in the group of "any form of tax increase" and "any of my taxes" [if I smoked].

Obama said if we make less than 250k/year we won't pay any more taxes. It was very plain and using a grade school level of language. Well, clearly many people making less than that will pay more.

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006

Clear?
I do understand how income taxes differ from taxes on discretionary spending.

However, sin taxes are definitely in the group of "any form of tax increase" and "any of my taxes" [if I smoked].

Obama said if we make less than 250k/year we won't pay any more taxes. It was very plain and using a grade school level of language. Well, clearly many people making less than that will pay more.

It's like those people who demand coffee cups be labeled as hot beverages.

Or that peanut butter has peanuts in it.

Or that when discussing income taxes you will still be referring to income taxes when it's the same sentence.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

Or that when discussing income taxes you will still be referring to income taxes when it's the same sentence.
It's actually like buying coffee and the person who sells it to you tells you it's ice coffee and the cup all over it tells you its ice coffee, not hot, repeat not hot. Then there is a loudspeaker assuring you that this is cold coffee and cannot hurt you and since you just went for a run and you're about to die of heat exhaustion you throw it all over your face and it turns out that in fact it is hot and has been treated with a compound to allow its boiling temperature to be higher than 212F and it's 350F and you have third degree burns and your wife doesn't love you anymore and is cheating on you with your brother and your kids cry when they see you from now on.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

It's actually like buying coffee and the person who sells it to you tells you it's ice coffee and the cup all over it tells you its ice coffee, not hot, repeat not hot. Then there is a loudspeaker assuring you that this is cold coffee and cannot hurt you and since you just went for a run and you're about to die of heat exhaustion you throw it all over your face and it turns out that in fact it is hot and has been treated with a compound to allow its boiling temperature to be higher than 212F and it's 350F and you have third degree burns and your wife doesn't love you anymore and is cheating on you with your brother and your kids cry when they see you from now on.

This.