New start-up's battery may triple EV range

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I could envision a form of liquid energy storage batteries that could be drained and refilled. Maybe we can shop up some spent fuel rods and make that run a car. Pellet size might be nice.

Heat = Electricity?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Batteries have a wide range of applications. In telecom they use batteries and solar panels on some remote cell towers. Solar power uses lots of batteries. It is a tossup about what is the most expensive part the battery or the solar panels.

When building an electric car the weight of the batteries is a big drawback. Just the fact that you can make the batteries lighter extends their range.

Then comes the Cell Phones . . . .

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
It's cool but,

We still need to generate the electricity to charge the batteries.

I think of batteries as a fuel tank. Still got to fill it. I'm not sure where the gain is? Don't our power plants produce pollutants? I'm one of 'those' who is relatively unconcerned about CO2 (plant food), but who is concerned about sulfur etc emissions from power plants.

Fern

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's cool but,

I think of batteries as a fuel tank. Still got to fill it. I'm not sure where the gain is? Don't our power plants produce pollutants? I'm one of 'those' who is relatively unconcerned about CO2 (plant food), but who is concerned about sulfur etc emissions from power plants.

Fern

Power plants built since the Clean Air Act and other regulation are subject to limits on their emissions and must have emissions controls in place. Older coal fired plants can still belch out all the terrible crap they used to but increasingly state and local governments are pressuring them to either retrofit with controls or shut down the plants.

I'd generally prefer our investments for energy to be more in the nuclear/wind/solar (PE and thermal) veins than the gas boom we are currently in. If the ongoing EPA study concludes that hydraulic fracturing is responsible for contaminating water tables ng pricing is going to go through the roof and take electricity cost with it.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I find the 'bigger picture' in all this concerning.

Many are trying to get rid of cars that use gas because they simply hate the idea of fossil fuels.

Coal is a fossil fuel. That 'I hate fossil fuel' group doesn't want any more coal burning power plants.

Nuclear power? get real. After Japan they'll freak about that.

So, were eliminating all our energy options. Where will that leave us?

We're trying to convert to something that's not there.

Fern

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
New nuclear plants are already proceeding in the US. At a minimum we should be building to replace our current reactor fleet which is already getting long in the tooth.

There are cleaner ways to do coal but it adds a lot of cost.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
It's cool but,

Fern

But what?

Really? Really?

I guess you can't figure out if get rid of cars that run off gas then our problems could be solved for relying on the ME to get our oil.

Wouldn't you rather have the jobs of USA workers digging coil? Digging for Natural Gas to turn the turbines to fill the tanks? Instead of sending all that cash to the ME? Did you miss all this? Is your sound card working? Is the light on yet?

Most of Oregon/WA run off Hydro Dams that could be filling the tanks of cars... There is a lot of solar plants. Heck, you could put solar on your roof to help fill the tank of your car!

Is it any wonder that electric vehicles get way better gas millage than combustion engine? Reason why? Newer technology like regenerative systems and not having the car sit idle (on) in traffic or stop lights... There is a heck of a lot more we can do to make them even more efficient to hopefully get them up to 100+ MPG in the future.

So this is a HUGE WIN for the USA that you can't figure out where the gain is? Sigh... :\ some people will never learn the math and I guess you are one of them....

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

Many are trying to get rid of cars that use gas because they simply hate the idea of fossil fuels.

Coal is a fossil fuel. That 'I hate fossil fuel' group doesn't want any more coal burning power plants.

Fern

No one hates fossil fuel? What we hate is sending out trillions of dollars to get it out of the ground in the ME.

Coal is a fossil Fuel, and if you hate it so much then why is 50% of our electricity being produced by it? Better be careful what you hate!

Nuclear Power, Get real??? OK... over 25% is used by CLEAN yes Nuclear Power.... Hows that for getting real? No one is going to freak over it. We are already knee deep in it! And we are building new ones that are coming online all the time. They are safe, as long as you don't put your backup generators in a flood prone tsunami situation. If the pumps don't fail and keep power to them ... then no melt down it's as simple as that.

trying to convert to something that's not there? What are you talking about? What's powering your lights? What's powering your computer? Do you even know? Now I know that there are some power plants that run off of oil... But the ones that are like down in Florida are being converted over to natural gas. Hawaii is one state that I live in that is still burning fuel to power it's state. Even tho, there is geo thermal, solar and wind farms.

Keep it real man... The grid is alive and well. With all the money we save by not giving it to other countries we can invest in more alternative energy...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
"IBM thinks it has a solution with a promising new lithium-air (Li-air) battery. According to the technology giant, a typical Li-air battery cell has a theoretical energy density more than 1,000 times greater than today's industry-standard Li-ion battery cell. Even better, Li-air batteries are one-fifth the size and they offer a lifespan at least five times as long"

500 mile range and 10 x the energy density of a regular EV battery.

Last edited:

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
predictions are easy to make
results (product on the market for consumers to buy that delivers results) is what counts

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
"IBM thinks it has a solution with a promising new lithium-air (Li-air) battery. According to the technology giant, a typical Li-air battery cell has a theoretical energy density more than 1,000 times greater than today's industry-standard Li-ion battery cell. Even better, Li-air batteries are one-fifth the size and they offer a lifespan at least five times as long"

500 mile range and 10 x the energy density of a regular EV battery.

Nice to have you back.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
But what?

Really? Really?

I guess you can't figure out if get rid of cars that run off gas then our problems could be solved for relying on the ME to get our oil.

Wouldn't you rather have the jobs of USA workers digging coil? Digging for Natural Gas to turn the turbines to fill the tanks? Instead of sending all that cash to the ME? Did you miss all this? Is your sound card working? Is the light on yet?
-snip-

I see pretty much zero chance for the Dems and enviro people supporting more coal use here. Zero.

We already have problems generating enough power. We don't have adequate power to allocate enough for use in auto.s

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally Posted by Fern View Post

Fern

No one hates fossil fuel?

Appears you having a serious reading comprehension issue here. I'm talking specifically about so many who do hate fossil fuels. Re-read my post. You must have been in a hurry the first time.

What we hate is sending out trillions of dollars to get it out of the ground in the ME.

Coal is a fossil Fuel, and if you hate it so much then why is 50% of our electricity being produced by it? Better be careful what you hate!

Same 'reading comprehension point as above.

Meh, no need to address any more of this stuff.

Fern

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
Every few years there is some great advancement in solar, wind generators or batteries. Quite often a company will release this false information to generate publicity and funds. Obviously they cannot share their proprietary secret. Then when things don’t come about, it’s just blamed that the large gas companies bought out their secret. Talk is cheap.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Every few years there is some great advancement in solar, wind generators or batteries. Quite often a company will release this false information to generate publicity and funds. Obviously they cannot share their proprietary secret. Then when things don’t come about, it’s just blamed that the large gas companies bought out their secret. Talk is cheap.

If you go on the internet and investigate all the free energy machines, the inventors of which have been killer or jailed, etc and their inventions suppressed or bought out by oil companies you will truly begin to see just exactly how cheap talk really is.

I want my 100 MPG carburetor, damn it and what really really ticks me off is that my Mommy withheld her love. Damn if I don't now walk around in a permanent state of feeling needy and cheated.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
It's axiomatic that as a society we can't adopt technology that requires subsidization to be viable

Well duh. You have a tautology with your use of "viable." Trace it through and you hit absolute economic nonviability at the point of infinite cost for zero gain. So basically you said, "If something costs an infinite amount and gives us nothing, we can't afford to purchase it." True, but we wouldn't have enough money for it anyway.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Every few months there's a story like this about some new revolutionary battery tech. Same goes for cures for AIDS and cancer. I call bullshit.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Every few months there's a story like this about some new revolutionary battery tech. Same goes for cures for AIDS and cancer. I call bullshit.

You mean Obama's claim about using green scum .... err not environmentalists, but actual green algae to produce fuel isn't viable? It's a green scum scam?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Impossible. Government regulations stifle small companies while US schools suck and Indians and Chinese only come to this country for higher education but compete with our idiot white kids and leave back for India and China where they have much better "free trade".

Not to mention California is a cesspool of regulations and taxes, nobody would ever start a business there now.

It's all a lie, any government funded company, technology, student, or affiliation is a fucking joke and the "Free market" dominates all!

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Impossible. Government regulations stifle small companies while US schools suck and Indians and Chinese only come to this country for higher education but compete with our idiot white kids and leave back for India and China where they have much better "free trade".

Not to mention California is a cesspool of regulations and taxes, nobody would ever start a business there now.

It's all a lie, any government funded company, technology, student, or affiliation is a fucking joke and the "Free market" dominates all!

You might want to switch to decaf...