New Ryzen Build Troubles (Solved)

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
System Information:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 at stock.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M- Gaming 3 (F2 Bios)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage Black 2800mhz CL14 (HX428C14SB2K2/16)
PSU: Silverstone ST75F-PT 750W Platinum
GPU: Radeon R9 390 (no issues with previous build)
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo

Problems:

A)

The system is, to put it bluntly, unstable. I've had the following errors repeatedly

IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

These errors occur seemly at random but I can easily replicate them by launching an 'intensive' application (3dmark [which also fails to load my system info], DOOM, and others.

I have run the windows memory diagnostic and it reported no errors.

B) BIOS issues

When I first had the build (motherboard,cpu,ram, gpu, and psu only) on the motherboard box I could interact with the UEFI fine.

Now I am unable to 1) enter the bios before windows loads 2) using recovery to boot to UEFI works but my mouse and keyboard are now seemingly dead while in BIOS.

I have reset the CMOS twice and the issue is still present.

C) The BIOS (when I was able to manipulate it in the beginning) showed the RAM at CL15 2133mhz. That doesn't make any sense. CPU-Z also shows CL15. I am unable to access the BIOS to try to change timings to 14 or 16 to see if that would help.

________

So yea the system in its current state is unusable. My best guess is its a memory issue because these sticks aren't on the approved list. It could be something else though and wanted to see what you guys thought.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
1. Change Memory Voltage manually to whatever it's supposed to be.
2. Disable any XMP, A-XMP.
3. Lower Memory Clocks to second or first lowest and see if Errors continue.
4. If your MOBO has a base clock generator, set it to stock if it already isn't.

My guess is the timings are being set to unrealistic values, lowering the clocks could help.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
1. Change Memory Voltage manually to whatever it's supposed to be.
2. Disable any XMP, A-XMP.
3. Lower Memory Clocks to second or first lowest and see if Errors continue.
4. If your MOBO has a base clock generator, set it to stock if it already isn't.

My guess is the timings are being set to unrealistic values, lowering the clocks could help.

Great ideas. Unfortunately I can't access the BIOS (either the splash screen or though recovery reboot to UEFI). I've posted on the Gigabyte forum. Thank you.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Great ideas. Unfortunately I can't access the BIOS (either the splash screen or though recovery reboot to UEFI). I've posted on the Gigabyte forum. Thank you.

I have heard some CMOS clear attempts are futile until you remove battery, short contacts, with power cord out AND pressing power button.

One guy even had to short capacitor legs on board, but just try removing battery, shorting contacts with power cord removed and try and get into BIOS again.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
I have heard some CMOS clear attempts are futile until you remove battery, short contacts, with power cord out AND pressing power button.

One guy even had to short capacitor legs on board, but just try removing battery, shorting contacts with power cord removed and try and get into BIOS again.
I'll try this in the morning. Thanks for the detail of your replies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Is mouse & keyboard plugged into the USB ports above the PS2 port?

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Is mouse & keyboard plugged into the USB ports above the PS2 port?
Yes. Both. They're totally unresponsive. I have a PS2 mouse and it inches milimeter by milimeter around the screen but I cant seem to click on anything. It's bizzare. I can see the seconds changing on the clock on the BIOS menu screen so I know it's not frozen.

I just tried a new install of windows and it seemed to help for awhile... until a new bsod "memory management". I just pulled the power cable and the BIOS battery, shorted the CMOS pins, and held the power button. Going to let it sit for awhile.

If I can't get into BIOS I'm not really sure what there is to do besides return the board and wait for a non buggy ecosystem :( If I could just change the memory settings (bah).

Seems like I need to get my hands on a PS/2 native keyboard. Thanks Gigabyte....

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
If your bios gui doesnt work correctly, return it. You could try disconnecting all your drives just to simplify things, but it shouldnt matter.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
If your bios gui doesnt work correctly, return it. You could try disconnecting all your drives just to simplify things, but it shouldnt matter.
That's what I'm thinking too. No reply from Gigabyte yet and removing the CMOS battery and shorting the pins didn't work.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
When you try clearing the CMOS, you should not only pull out of the battery and disconnect your main power cable, but also disconnect your monitors, ethernet, and ANY other external device that has power from another source. I've seen instances where both ethernet and displayport have backfed power to keep cmos alive. The displayport one cost me and a couple other people quite a bit of wasted time.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
When you try clearing the CMOS, you should not only pull out of the battery and disconnect your main power cable, but also disconnect your monitors, ethernet, and ANY other external device that has power from another source. I've seen instances where both ethernet and displayport have backfed power to keep cmos alive. The displayport one cost me and a couple other people quite a bit of wasted time.
Good idea. I'm also going to take it all apart and reassemble it on the mobo box with just the bare essentials and see if that does anything. When I first tested it on the box at the start of the build I was able to manipulate BIOS, but not since then.

I'll keep the thread posted.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
I just ordered a new set of RAM on the QVL list. It can't hurt to try that in the meantime as well.

If that and/or the above doesn't work I'll RMA the board.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
I finally broke the stalemate. I found a crusty old PS/2 keyboard from the 90's and I'm finally able to use the BIOS. I need some advice on settings. The DRAM Voltage was set to 1.2V. I just manually raised that to 1.35V (the rating of the sticks). I'm going to see if that helps. I'm not comfortable overclocking anything (especially XMP) given my memory bsods so far. Is there any concensus on SOC voltage or other BIOS settings I should be concerned with? I just want a stable system. I'll overclock in a few months when the bugs have been ironed out.

The auto memory timings the board is using is 15-15-15-15-36-2T at 2133mhz. These are supposed to be CL14 sticks. I know very little about memory timings. What's going on there?

Last edited:

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Setting the DIMM voltage to 1.35 seems to have worked. It passed 20 iterations of the Firestrike Ultra Stress Test.

QRxpCrf.png

Thanks Doom2Pro for the recommendation. I'm still hesitant to touch the clocks but this seems resolved for now.

Reactions: Malogeek

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Welp. I spoke too soon. I tried enabling XMP and I think that bricked the board. It won't post. CMOS short, battery removed... nothing. Pressing the power button starts the system for a moment, then shuts off suddenly, then restarts and runs all fans and lights but the screen is black. I'm not sure how simply enabling XMP could brick a board but there it is. I'm really bummed.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Thanks Richie for the BIOS recovery suggestion. It ended up being unnecessary.

I was able to get the system working again (great actually) with the new DIMM set (HX432C16PB3K2/16) that was on the QVL list. It posted right up and I'm actually able to set XMP to 2933mhz (3200mhz is an option but I don't want to push my luck). All of the instability from the prior set is gone and I'm also having no issues entering BIOS.

I believe this is resolved for now. Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: richierich1212