Feb 4, 2009
I have fios and feel like a noob, I’ve been paying for my router for a year without realizing. The lease has increased to $12 per month that’s how I spotted it.
I have 100/100mb service I’m mostly fiber except to the router that is still coax, I’m pretty confident I can run a Ethernet line from the ont to the router without much drama.
The quantum gateway from Verizon works okay but not great. I’d like more consistent WiFi coverage at the edge of service now. Living room TV has some buffering on WiFi not a ton but enough to be irritating.
I’m thinking about accepting that google will spy on me more and getting a google router. I like how it’s a mesh network and I could add an access point (?) near the TV.
How is the quality of googles router and if the access point doesn’t have a direct line of sight will it help or is it possible to just be better router than the Verizon gateway and problem solved?
I have 1100 square feet to cover, it is a ranch so it’s one floor, more coverage outside would be nice but it’s not required.

**I understand WiFi signals can be weird and nothing is guaranteed feel free to give reasonable speculation**

Edit: easy router control is very important to me. One thing I hate about the fios gateway is it’s control panel is frustrating to use. Ideally I’d like to be able to port forward and do basic stuff from an app or at minimum at simple webpage/control panel.

Last edited:

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I typically avoid mesh systems in an average home setup, they're simply not needed.

A 2nd wired access point in an opposing corner as your main router should be enough to provide full coverage to most houses, if it's a particularly large house, a router and 2 access points should be more than enough. A mesh system will make switching between access points more seamless, but it wont actually improve the wifi performance of the access points, or the coverage area of those access points.

With FiOS you can use pretty much any router you want, assuming you're not using FiOS TV or home phone service.

Assuming you just have FiOS internet my suggestion would be to get a primary router with the specifications you want, and an access point for additional wireless coverage. I'd recommend hard wiring the access point with Ethernet backhaul for the best performance.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, just a comment, I used to be in the same situation that you are. I was on FIOS MOCA WAN (coax from ONT), and when I tried to upgrade from 75/75 to 150/150 (this was just before Gigabit rolled out), VZ wanted a $99 fee for a truck roll to switch my ONT from Coax to Ethernet.

This was unneccesary, and I utilized the VZ Direct forum on DSLReports.com, to message a VZ rep, who forwarded me to some VZ social media team, who contacted tech support for me, and switched my ONT from Coax to Ethernet for me, no fee, no truck roll. I had already, myself, connected a long ethernet cable from my VZ G1100 router's ethernet WAN port, to my ONT's ethernet port. The switchover was seamless.

A few days later, I could upgrade to 150/150 without the fee.

I eventually got Gigabit.

So, you may want to go this route, or even just phone tech-support and see if they can change your ONT from MOCA WAN to Ethernet WAN. You'll have to run a cable yourself. If you need inside wiring work, to install ethernet, then you might just want to pay the fee for the truck roll, and ask them when they get there. YMMV.

I wanted the cheapest solution, and I got it.

Edit: If you have TV service from VZ, you'll still need the Coax from the ONT to the VZ router, as well as to your STBs, for the MOCA LAN (different frequency range, and separate from MOCA WAN), for the STBs to communication with the router, for VOD and Guide data. The router will still use the Ethernet WAN connection to connect to the ONT for internet, though, at that point.

If you don't have TV service, then you can replace the VZ router altogether, with your own router, if you are switched over from Coax/MOCA WAN to Ethernet WAN.

Feb 4, 2009
No TV from fios we dropped that last December, no phone either.
We are internet only and it’s doubful we’ll go back to wired TV.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Then get your ONT switched from Coax to Ethernet WAN, and then get your own router. Note that if you need tech-support from VZ, they won't support connections with third-party routers, so basically you're on your own, if you don't own/rent a VZ router. You can buy a G1100 from ebay, for $50-70 as a refurb unit. Just make sure, that it's not a Frontier or has Frontier firmware, as those will not update on VZ's network, so they can leave you with security holes, and inability to configure your router or wifi settings from VZ's web site.

Feb 4, 2009
Just did a test,

I remember the fios guy gram last year saying it will be all fiber and he changed the ont box to the newer & smaller one.
My router is the same router as when we had TV.
I unplugged the coax and WiFi is still working. I think the coax is just to the wall and not connected to anything.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
"all fiber"? Did you mean to say, "all new installations are going to use ethernet"?

Maybe they switched you over already, and you just still had the Coax connect, from when you had TV?

Btw, it would still show wifi on your PC, if the router was powered-on and transmitting a wifi signal, you just wouldn't be able to get onto the internet with it, unless you were on ethernet WAN (with the coax disconnected from router).

Feb 4, 2009
"all fiber"? Did you mean to say, "all new installations are going to use ethernet"?

Maybe they switched you over already, and you just still had the Coax connect, from when you had TV?

Btw, it would still show wifi on your PC, if the router was powered-on and transmitting a wifi signal, you just wouldn't be able to get onto the internet with it, unless you were on ethernet WAN (with the coax disconnected from router).

I meant Ethernet, I remember the fios guy who came to switch is to 100/100 service said the coax cable tops out around 100mb so he’ll change it to Ethernet so we can upgrade in the future. He swapped around the ont box for a similar reason that I forgot about, may have been to get rid of the phone part with the battery backup.

**We churned the account they wouldn’t offer me the promo internet only rate so I canceled it and had the wife sign up for new service.

***The previous post was made from WiFi with the coax disconnected but I’ll double check tonight when I get home

Edit: oh F- I think the coax is so the solar reports correctly. I’ll double check with the wife. I’m not sure now.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
IMXP, solar typically connects to a home network via Ethernet. Do you know the solars controller/reporting g device model number?

Feb 4, 2009
IMXP, solar typically connects to a home network via Ethernet. Do you know the solars controller/reporting g device model number?

Solar is reporting, I think it was an unused coax line.

Related I’m really liking the google WiFi, bummer is it only has two Ethernet ports. Do basic switches work good enough?
I like to have the 2 PCs wired, another for the solar, I’d like to have 2 expansion slots if I decide to run an access point out to the TV or just wire the Roku

Something like this for the switch

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704043

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yes, get a layer 2 device like a switch to add ethernet ports to the LAN.

I have a couple trendnet green 8 port gigabit switches been running for a while, just work.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Sure, that would work. I dont have any tp-link switches, but have a poe one running a friend's camera system for a few years without problems.

What's the network topology like now?

ONT > router model? > ?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've got a "stockpile" of TrendNet 8-port GigE switches. Picked them up for like $10-12 ea. I think I must have 8 of them now. Never know when one might come in handy... :)

I prefer the TrendNet switches, been using them for like 10 years. But any of the cheaper 8-port GigE network switches should, in theory, work fine. Try not to spend more than $20. Even better, if you can get one for $10.

Feb 4, 2009
Sure, that would work. I dont have any tp-link switches, but have a poe one running a friend's camera system for a few years without problems.

What's the network topology like now?

ONT > router model? > ?

ONT - Fios Quantum Gateway - 2 PCs & Printer wired- 2 Roku, 2 nest protects, 1 nest thermostat, 2 tablets, 2 phones all on WiFi.
Two people in the house so all the WiFi stuff doesn’t run at the same time

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
ONT - Fios Quantum Gateway - 2 PCs & Printer wired- 2 Roku, 2 nest protects, 1 nest thermostat, 2 tablets, 2 phones all on WiFi.
Two people in the house so all the WiFi stuff doesn’t run at the same time

Like this one?

Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway F1100 with Z-Wave Support by Verizon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AQASLX6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SnsdCbM6HCD3P

If so, yea....the switch you listed will do just fine. Attach it LAN to LAN and it should work just fine.

Feb 4, 2009
Like this one?

Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway F1100 with Z-Wave Support by Verizon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AQASLX6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SnsdCbM6HCD3P

If so, yea....the switch you listed will do just fine. Attach it LAN to LAN and it should work just fine.

Yes but I think its the first version. I'm not too happy with it, WiFi works good enough but not great. I'm liking the google WiFi

https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi_specs?hl=en-US

Basically that plus a switch that gets me 4 expansion Ethernet ports. I would like more for growth.

I have this plug, runs to the basement
ZMwJgBF.jpg

if WiFi sucks after changing the router I can convert that coax plug to a cat 6 plug and run a wire to the Roku or even a second google access point. No plug on the other side just a hole in the floor from the previous owners (those bastards)
Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

*smuched below the plug is what I think it the solar Ethernet cord
**Maybe a 3 port plug is better
***google WiFi has 2 Ethernet ports, can one be used as a lan?
****Looks like it does, I'd need the switch near the primary access point (the one after the ONT) https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/7215624

Thanks for the help guys, I know enough about networking gear to really screw it up but not enough to know what I am talking about.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I dont know much about the Google mesh devices. Looks like the first one is primary and is cabled, the rest are not required to be cabled, but able to use the lan port to get a wired device on the network. Pretty nifty if I understand that correctly.

Re: the picture. You can use a switch of the cable from the jack to add.more ports in that area.

If you prefer wired devices, like I do, then you will end up with switches in the spots required. I have one hanging off my ER-X router, and from that switch there's a cable up to the TV area with another 5port switch for Roku, steam link, etc...

Feb 4, 2009
I dont know much about the Google mesh devices. Looks like the first one is primary and is cabled, the rest are not required to be cabled, but able to use the lan port to get a wired device on the network. Pretty nifty if I understand that correctly.

Re: the picture. You can use a switch of the cable from the jack to add.more ports in that area.

If you prefer wired devices, like I do, then you will end up with switches in the spots required. I have one hanging off my ER-X router, and from that switch there's a cable up to the TV area with another 5port switch for Roku, steam link, etc...

Thanks for all the help,

My plan as of now is:

Try the google router if that makes the Roku stream better awesome, I'll do nothing else but add a switch for the PCs

If google router doesn't help much, I will add another cable to the Roku or get another google WiFi connect that with a Ethernet cable, then second cable to the Roku.

*regarding home switches, should I look for a shielded one or is that excessive for home use?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I would consider that excessive unless you plan on putting next to your microwave or on a pile of high voltage cabling.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yes it has 5(?) ports but I don’t plan on keeping it. I’m not paying $12 per month for it and I’m not paying $100+ to own it.

Cool, let us know how it turns out.

If you feel adventurous, you can use something like iperf to test speeds between windows/Linux devices before and after, or anytime really

Feb 4, 2009
Cool, let us know how it turns out.

If you feel adventurous, you can use something like iperf to test speeds between windows/Linux devices before and after, or anytime really

Last question, to change the fios router I read disconnect it before bed, leave it disconnected the. In the morning plug the new one in with nothing attached to it and it requests a new up address.
Sounds too easy, feels like Verizon would need some kind of serial number or esn number.
Do the above process sound correct to you?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Honestly, that used to be somewhat the case. (Or you can go into the VZ router setup, "Release" the DHCP WAN IP, and then immediately power-off the router, and swap.)

However, more recently, VZ seems to have allowed a dual-IP arrangement, such that you can perform a swap immediately. At least, that was the case with a relative of mine with FIOS, and a third-party router, on an Internet-only plan.