New Pontiac GTO performance

boomdart

Jan 10, 2004
How does the new GTO handle, in comparison to the Camaro SS/Firebird WS6?

As it seems to be the replacement of the car, I was wondering if it was an adequate replacement...It performs about the same in the quarter mile, but handling is very poor on the skidpad with the GTO. But skidpad numbers do not mean everything.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
It's not really meant to be a replacement sports car. It's basically a higher powered version of the Grand Prix in that it's a sports sedan. So it's not going to have quite the performance numbers of an f-body, but is a better daily driver car.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
What??

Got that totally wrong.

It has a 5.7L V8 LS1 (from the Vette) and a Z06 Tranny. Not in any way some high powered version of the Grand Prix. Totally different platform.
It beats and exceeds the performance numbers of a f-body. So the rumors are they had to de-tune it so it would not out perform the Corvette, which is GMs pride and joy in the sports car department.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Babbles
What??

Got that totally wrong.

It has a 5.7L V8 LS1 (from the Vette) and a Z06 Tranny. Not in any way some high powered version of the Grand Prix. Totally different platform.
It beats and exceeds the performance numbers of a f-body. So the rumors are they had to de-tune it so it would not out perform the Corvette, which is GMs pride and joy in the sports car department.
I didn't mean the same platform as a Grand Prix. I meant that it's supposed to be combine aspects of a sports sedan with a pure sports car. And it doesn't outperform the f-body's. It's just a shade slower 0-60 than the last one's that were made.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Ah, okay yeah guess that makes sense. After all the new GTO was designed to seat four as opposed to just being a 2-seater coupe.

I am not so sure about the 0-60 times compared to the f-body. Sure, I would admit the f-body could have faster times for whomever did them. However I know on some other car forums they have been talking about the GTO being massivel de-tuned.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Babbles
Ah, okay yeah guess that makes sense. After all the new GTO was designed to seat four as opposed to just being a 2-seater coupe.

I am not so sure about the 0-60 times compared to the f-body. Sure, I would admit the f-body could have faster times for whomever did them. However I know on some other car forums they have been talking about the GTO being massivel de-tuned.
The numbers I've seen say a 0-60 time of 5.3s, compared to 5.1s I've seen for the last f-body's. That's pretty close so almost anything could effect the actual numbers I guess. The f-body's were also detuned as well to keep from outperforming the Vette.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
babbles, you're confused...if it has the engine of a vette, it wouldn't be able to outperform a vette. It's heaver and not as aerodynamic.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I'm confused, I thought GTO was a coupe. And where does the Bonneville fit into this whole Pontiac sports hierarchy. What a confusing company. Anyway, I drove my sister's brand new Grand Prix over the weekend (rental) and that car is sweet, except for the tacky interior. Let me be the first to say that their plastics don't feel as cheap as they used to (they only look cheap.) Of course, Enterprise doesn't order their cars with the Comp G package, so I'm sure there are better GPs out there.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
The latest fbodies came with LS1 engines as well so what's the difference? You can do the same things to both cars engine-wise so one is not going to be faster than the other, unless you want to take into account the 0.X seconds difference due to the rest of the drivetrain that may not be identical and aerodynamics.

The idea of the GTO sounds cool but I just dunno about Pontiac. I was skeptical about the most recent gen fbodies at first (I wanted just to fix up a 3rd gen) but I've started liking them more and more.

I don't think the GTO will be any more practical than the 4th gen fbodies. Those were pretty comfortable and practical for a high performance sports car if you ask me...

<--- makes weekly deposit to Camaro SS fund :p

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
The GTO is a coupe, well depending on your definition. The car seats four, but has only two doors so whatever you want to call that. The Bonny is he 'high-end' of the Pontiac sedan line: Bonny > Grand Prix > Grand Am > Sunfire

Sunfire being discontinued, and the Grand Am only has like another year or so before it will be killed off and replaced with something or another. The new upper trim levels of the bonny is getting a Northstar and I would bet in another year or so all of the bonny's will be getting V8s as opposed to a blown V6.

Okay, tru the GTO may never be able to outperform a Vette. However with some bolt-on mods you got something that would come quite close for nearly half the price. I think that is the key more than anything. Buying something that does not quite have the performance of the Vette for $33k, or getting the Vette for $50k+.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
LS2 > LS1
Besides, none of the competition has the performance of the Vette. Maybe the speed, but put'm in some corners and its a WHOLE different story.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The GTO's biggest problem is that it's a porker. It's 300 pounds more than what the F-Bodies weighed.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Here is the truck version of the LS2 soon to come out

There is rumors the 05 GTO will have the LS2 as an option, the SSR will probably end up with a 380HP version of the LS2 also (sort of like the LM7)

All-new aluminum block casting incorporates provisions for external knock sensors and revised oil galleries; external sensors improve serviceability

Cylinder bore diameter increased to 101.6 mm (4.00 inches), increasing displacement to 6.0 liters

Camshaft lift increased to take advantage of increased cylinder head flow

Camshaft sensor relocated from the rear of the block to the front of the block provides room for new oil galleries

Flat-top piston design with lower ring tension reduces friction

Piston floating wrist pins help quiet the engine

Redesigned, ?wingless? oil pan with cast baffling has reduced mass and provides superior oil control under high-performance driving
maneuvers

Revised exhaust manifolds are 33 percent lighter

More efficient ignition coils require less energy to provide a comparable spark

Compression raised to 10.9:1

Larger, 90-mm single-blade throttle body

Reduced-mass water pump design with improved sealing capability

Engine ?redline? raised to 6500 rpm

Revised and more powerful engine controller incorporates all electronic throttle control functions.

Mass has been reduced by 7 kilograms on the automatic version.

Cylinder heads for the LS2 are derived from designs used in previous Corvette Z06 models, including raised intake ports and an unshrouded-valve combustion chamber design that, when combined with the engine?s flat-top pistons, produces a more efficient swirl of the air/fuel mixture. This efficiency enables a higher 10.9:1 compression ratio, which increases fuel economy and horsepower.

I hope when LS2edit comes out we can take out the DoD.

teckmaster

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2000
there is also a very limited GTO Judge Edition which is supposedly pushing around 500 HP. One of my friends is a head GM mechanic for a local dealer and said they didn't have any of their allotment on the lot for more than 3 days including a Judge edition.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hehehe. Last Friday evening, the following event was witnessed on a local interstate here in NoVA:

1) New GTO was in the left lane traveling approx. 75 M.P.H.
2) About 5 minutes later, I see a dark Ford Crown Vic (unmarked police car) pass me going about 90 M.P.H. - in pursuit, but without any lights flashing.
3) I get to a spot about 4 miles from where the Crown Vic passed me and notice the GTO has been pulled over.

I'm not sure how the cop picked up that car because the officer took a few miles to "creep" up on the GTO and pull it over. I guess the cop was going the other direction on the interstate, tracked the speed, and turned around and the next exit ramp to pursue this car.

In any regard, I feel for the person driving the GTO. They bought a new vehicle that they thought was a bit sporty ... but, now, their insurance will be going up.

Then again, if you have a 4-lane Interstate highway, why travel @ 75 M.P.H. in the left lane, when you can be a bit more creative by using some of the other lanes and keep the speed @ 75 M.P.H. ?

TypeM

Jan 23, 2003
I think the GTO is setting right where GM wants it. It is NOT faster than the C5 and is NOT faster than the C6 STOCK. The car is built by Holden, and if you have seen the Austrailian Cup Challenge...you know how fast those damn holdens can go. It is about 3/4 of a Vette, and that is where GM wanted it to be. Now the Judge...ooooohhhhh yeah. Different story though.

-Mack

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: MAME
babbles, you're confused...if it has the engine of a vette, it wouldn't be able to outperform a vette. It's heaver and not as aerodynamic.

You must not be familiar with the idea of DETUNING.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
The only two cars from Pontiac I like are the GTO and the Vibe, maybe it was because weren't made by Pontiac.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Tiles2tech... the cop is lucky the Pontiac stopped. :p Coulda dusted the ol' crown vic.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Nebor
Tiles2tech... the cop is lucky the Pontiac stopped. :p Coulda dusted the ol' crown vic.

Maybe the driver didn't want to seen on TV being chased by police choppers.

jlarsson

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
Hehehe. Last Friday evening, the following event was witnessed on a local interstate here in NoVA:

1) New GTO was in the left lane traveling approx. 75 M.P.H.
2) About 5 minutes later, I see a dark Ford Crown Vic (unmarked police car) pass me going about 90 M.P.H. - in pursuit, but without any lights flashing.
3) I get to a spot about 4 miles from where the Crown Vic passed me and notice the GTO has been pulled over.

I'm not sure how the cop picked up that car because the officer took a few miles to "creep" up on the GTO and pull it over. I guess the cop was going the other direction on the interstate, tracked the speed, and turned around and the next exit ramp to pursue this car.

In any regard, I feel for the person driving the GTO. They bought a new vehicle that they thought was a bit sporty ... but, now, their insurance will be going up.

Then again, if you have a 4-lane Interstate highway, why travel @ 75 M.P.H. in the left lane, when you can be a bit more creative by using some of the other lanes and keep the speed @ 75 M.P.H. ?

Weird, the only GTO i've seen in real life was on the side of the road after being pulled over by a state trooper ... (southern NH though).

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Pocatello
Originally posted by: Nebor

Maybe the driver didn't want to seen on TV being chased by police choppers.

There's no police helicopters on the interstate :p. Besides, in a case like this, where that GTO could have jumped from 75-140 (or whatever it's governed at) before the cop could go from 75 to 100, he could have been out of sign and off an exit. :p

People seem to think it's impossible to get away from a cop. It's not. Once you have a full fledged police chase going on, then it's hard to get away. But if you can get away before they get your license plate, you're golden.

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
THIS IS NOT A REAL GTO. they have taken the gto name and slapped it on the side of some australlian sedan. its a POS. this thing is NOT as fast as the 02 f bodys, nor the vette. plus its gonna be 30K+. its a disgrace to the name.

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
THIS IS NOT A REAL GTO. they have taken the gto name and slapped it on the side of some australlian sedan. its a POS. this thing is NOT as fast as the 02 f bodys, nor the vette. plus its gonna be 30K+. its a disgrace to the name.

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001