New mixed use (business/personal) laptop suggestion?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I think I will chime in as well, as you have bee given a lot of options here.

I have had 2 Lenovos, a Dell, a Gateway, and have used an HP. Here is a list of observations:

1. I prefer a 15" screen, 1600x900 resolution, matte finish. Glossy screens give me a headache in certain lighting conditions, and having used the other resolutions, 1600x900 is the best trade-off between real estate and object size.
2. I don't like a laptop with the number pad. I thought I would, but it doesn't feel right sitting left of center when I am typing. I just plug in a regular keyboard when I need to punch in a lot of numbers.
3. The Thinkpad is a slightly heavier laptop, but it holds up wonderfully, has great hinges, and still uses a locking mechanism when closed. Many of the newer laptops don't have these, and I think it is harder on the unit. Plus, Lenovo's website has a wonderful set of options for customizing the laptop.
4. My Thinkpad T510 has a light by the webcam for lighting the keyboard. This works wonderfully, and I prefer it to lighted keys which I find distracting in low-light conditions. I have also heard others say that the writing on some lighted keyboards wear out faster.
5. My Thinkpad has the best keyboard I have ever used. Many manufacturers are going to a keyboard style that is extremely hard to type well on.

In short, I really like my Thinkpad T-series, and I don't think you would be disappointed, based on your needs. I like my lower end Lenovo for home use, but I don't think I would like it as much if I had to use it at work 8-10 hours a day.

desidude

Oct 16, 2010
Hi friends,

Thanks for your replies and sorry for my absence. I decided to hold off buying a new laptop, and instead found a refurbished Thinkpad T61 that I picked up at a good price.

I think I will wait a couple of months (hopefully this refurbished machine lasts!) till the new ivy bridge machines come out and maybe a lighter/slimmer model with a 14 inch or 15 inch screen...

will keep you guys posted,
thanks,

desidude