New Mac Mini :(

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Actually, it is an old Mac Mini with a PowerPC ("PPC") chip.

MotionMan

Oh, thats rough. At least the power mac had a dual cpu config. I bought the 1.25Ghz G4 mini when they first came out, and sold it a few months later.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
You think they would reserve that for a server-model only?

It's not as if the "server" model has any special hardware. Maybe it'll pop up in the $799 model since it did have the AMD GPU in 2011, but that would be a decrease in margins.

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
It's not as if the "server" model has any special hardware. Maybe it'll pop up in the $799 model since it did have the AMD GPU in 2011, but that would be a decrease in margins.

Hopefully it does. I'd rather not step up to an iMac since I am not a big gamer.

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
Does anyone think Apple will include the i7-4850HQ or i7-4750HQ with the GT3e in the new Mac mini at least as a BTO or will they only include that on say the 15" rMBP with discrete graphics?

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Does anyone think Apple will include the i7-4850HQ or i7-4750HQ with the GT3e in the new Mac mini at least as a BTO or will they only include that on say the 15" rMBP with discrete graphics?

Maybe as a high-end option, thing is that chip costs $487. If anything, it's going to be a BTO option that's $150 more.

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
Maybe as a high-end option, thing is that chip costs $487. If anything, it's going to be a BTO option that's $150 more.

That wouldn't be too bad if that were the case. As of now with the current Ivy Bridge i7 mini, it costs $100 to go from a 2.3 GHz processor to a 2.6 GHz one.

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
So what is more of a possibility for the new mini, the 28W chip with the 5100 on the far right?

Slide24_575px.jpg

Or...

The ones in the first table seen below.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7021/introducing-the-dualcore-haswell-skus

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
features_hero_rearview.jpg

Its a decent little machine, but if we are honest with ourselves the only people who really want a mac mini are the ones trying to do a minimalist thing with their desk. Maybe not even a desk, maybe a kiosk with specific purposes in mind.

Or LAN party people, who only intend to play older Source games. Maybe schools, trying to keep electricity costs down. It could make a decent HTPC provided you were more interested in internet and streaming movies than playing games.

But I think most folks would prefer a computer with more customization and usefulness even if it took up more space.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
features_hero_rearview.jpg

Its a decent little machine, but if we are honest with ourselves the only people who really want a mac mini are the ones trying to do a minimalist thing with their desk. Maybe not even a desk, maybe a kiosk with specific purposes in mind.

Or LAN party people, who only intend to play older Source games. Maybe schools, trying to keep electricity costs down. It could make a decent HTPC provided you were more interested in internet and streaming movies than playing games.

But I think most folks would prefer a computer with more customization and usefulness even if it took up more space.

I bought one for home for when I VPN into work. Also do some editing in FCP, as well as everything I could do on my PC, except gaming. I bought it mainly because of the cost. Even maxed out with the i7, 16GB of ram, and SSD, it was cheaper than a MBP. I hook it up to a U2711, and for most things it works really well. Yeah, the PC in my sig is faster, but in general use its not any faster than the Mini.

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
I am not looking to spend $799 unless the Iris Pro is available by default which I am not sure it will be. It will be interesting to see how the i5-4258U and i7-4558U are utilized if they are at all.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
I bought one for home for when I VPN into work. Also do some editing in FCP, as well as everything I could do on my PC, except gaming. I bought it mainly because of the cost. Even maxed out with the i7, 16GB of ram, and SSD, it was cheaper than a MBP. I hook it up to a U2711, and for most things it works really well. Yeah, the PC in my sig is faster, but in general use its not any faster than the Mini.

It's a great HTPC.

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
Iris 5100 or Iris Pro 5200 and I'm pretty much sold. I like my current Mac mini but I feel at almost two years (with the Intel HD 3000), it is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
^ Hilarious. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I guess I must be the only mini fan? Is Iris Pro a possibility in one of the models?

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
^ Hilarious. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I guess I must be the only mini fan? Is Iris Pro a possibility in one of the models?

I love Minis. Between my house, my parents, my mother-in-law and my late uncle, we had six of them.

In the last year, we bought three 2012 models and one 2010 (the last with the DVD drive). We got rid of all but my old 2009 model.

Love them.

MotionMan