New Mac Mini :(

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
What is everyone's predictions for the next Mini? Return of discrete graphics? SSD options? Low expectations?

I don't think much will change from the 2012 models but here goes.

$599 - Dual core i5/4 GB RAM 1600 MHz/HD 4600/500 GB HDD but hopefully more (would like to see them have an option for the Fusion drive)

$799 - Quad core i7/8 GB RAM 1600 MHz (though 4 GB is more likely)/HD 4600/1 TB HDD/(options for Fusion and SSD though hopefully a bigger SSD). If they offer a dual core i7 then hopefully a good discrete graphics chip but I won't hold my breath.

$999 - Same as above except no discrete/dual possibility and two hard drives or two SSDs as an option.

Thoughts?

Haswell GT3e graphics are why dedicated GPUs are permanently dead on the Mac mini: Intel Haswell GT3e GPU Performance

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
*facepalm* I meant for the next one. I am asking hypothetical questions.

I would think in February I would know the specs of a computer released in October >_>

Well, the current model offers all of those things you asked about, so apparently not.

Rakehellion

Lifer
Jan 15, 2013
Haswell GT3e graphics are why dedicated GPUs are permanently dead on the Mac mini: Intel Haswell GT3e GPU Performance

Haswell? More like Ass-smell! Amirite?

It's rumored that push from Apple was the primary reason Intel stepped up their GPU game over the last 5 years. If you've got an integrated GPU that gives you gaming performance better than most discrete mobile GPUs, then what's the point?

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
Well, the current model offers all of those things you asked about, so apparently not.

Pardon the misunderstanding. My point was to speculate on the future regarding the next mini. Also I am not happy with the Intel HD 4000. I would also like more storage by default since I don't want to have to put in an SSD myself.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
My 2012 quad-core Mini I have hooked up to my 46" LCD TV plays Portal 2 great :)

Truly no issues. Will only matter if you're trying to crank up all the options on some bleeding edge (graphics wise) game.

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
My 2012 quad-core Mini I have hooked up to my 46" LCD TV plays Portal 2 great :)

Truly no issues. Will only matter if you're trying to crank up all the options on some bleeding edge (graphics wise) game.

My thing is, one year is too soon for me to get a new mini. 2 years is okay, 3 years is optimal but I'm not going to wait until mid-late 2014 to get a new mini despite what Apple might want.

Edit: Hoping Haswell's graphics are good enough.

Last edited:

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000

Portal 2 was released nearly two years ago and is based on a game engine even older (granted Source does get modest updates from time to time). You certainly don't have to crank up the options on a bleeding edge game to experience the limitations of the current Mini's GPU.

-KeithP

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
So, a downgrade on the GPU front? Dissapointed, but I'm somewhat surprised that Apple had a dGPU on their lowest end sku at all for so long. Wasting $$$ on something 90% of the target market will probably never fully use is very unlike Apple.

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
So, a downgrade on the GPU front? Dissapointed, but I'm somewhat surprised that Apple had a dGPU on their lowest end sku at all for so long. Wasting $$$ on something 90% of the target market will probably never fully use is very unlike Apple.

Well the AMD Radeon 6630M is about on par with the Intel HD 4000. The Haswell iGPU is supposed to be a nice jump over the Ivy Bridge graphics so that should mean it would be a decent jump over the 6630M as well.

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001
How would the Mini handle Final Cut Pro? I hate the idea of buying Apple, but I want to get into video editing with my GoPro 3.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
How would the Mini handle Final Cut Pro? I hate the idea of buying Apple, but I want to get into video editing with my GoPro 3.

I use FCP on a i7 2.6Ghz Mini, and its pretty smooth. I did add an SSD and maxed out the RAM, but the only difference between this and the higher spec'd iMacs and Macbook Pros is the discrete graphics. I havent tried gaming on it, but as a workstation its pretty good.

self_storage

Feb 13, 2013
www.jaxonindustries.com
Mac Mini is definitely not a gaming setup. Its great for people looking to wet their feet in OSX without breaking the bank and for start up programmers looking to get into Xcode. Using it for a NAS, HTPC, or to just surf the net is great too.

I agree they aren't made for gaming. Usually when I do my design work the case never gets over room temperature. Playing a game that needs any considerable computing power heats that sucker up quick.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
Thoughts on quad-core processors in the entry level mini?

Ahahahahahaha!

Hahahaha!

Hah...

Okay, seriously, though... I don't think you'll ever see that happen as long as their MacBook lineup is stuck with dual-core processors.

It's funny, because if it happened, the Mac Mini would be better in value than whatever else other manufacturers can come up with in the same price range.

Ice_Dragon

Nov 17, 2011
Ahahahahahaha!

Hahahaha!

Hah...

Okay, seriously, though... I don't think you'll ever see that happen as long as their MacBook lineup is stuck with dual-core processors.

It's funny, because if it happened, the Mac Mini would be better in value than whatever else other manufacturers can come up with in the same price range.

How about GT3? Are they going to use the quad-core with the fastest graphics in at least one model?

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I am probably going to pick up an i5 Mac Mini soon. I will get it stock, but plan on upgrading the RAM via OWC. That leads to one question:

Is there a reason why I would buy the 4GBx4GB upgrade option (8GB total) over the single chip 8GB upgrade option (10GB total using one of the old chips)?

The price is close enough that I will go with the best option.

MotionMan

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Hmm...the 16GB kit I bought in December for $65 is now $93. Anyways, I believe this supports dual channel, so performance would be better if you used matched dimms.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I am probably going to pick up an i5 Mac Mini soon. I will get it stock, but plan on upgrading the RAM via OWC. That leads to one question:

Is there a reason why I would buy the 4GBx4GB upgrade option (8GB total) over the single chip 8GB upgrade option (10GB total using one of the old chips)?

The price is close enough that I will go with the best option.

MotionMan

Hmm...the 16GB kit I bought in December for $65 is now $93. Anyways, I believe this supports dual channel, so performance would be better if you used matched dimms.

Good point.

Thanks.

MotionMan

I bought an i5 with 4GB RAM and it seems to be plenty fast for now (upgraded from a 2009 2ghz Core 2 Duo).

I picked up a refurbed one for my uncle who is currently rocking a 1.42GHz G4 PPC! I am going to swap them out this week.

Do you think he will notice a speed difference?

MotionMan

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I bought an i5 with 4GB RAM and it seems to be plenty fast for now (upgraded from a 2009 2ghz Core 2 Duo).

I picked up a refurbed one for my uncle who is currently rocking a 1.42GHz G4 PPC! I am going to swap them out this week.

Do you think he will notice a speed difference?

MotionMan

It should be night and day. I remember going from the quad and dual G5s to the first Mac Pro, and the first thing you notice is how much faster the UI is. You might want to dump some more ram in there, because OS X will use it, but otherwise it should be a good upgrade for him.

I think I know which Power Mac you are talking about. Such a nice looking case. I remember I got one we were going to recycle and I wanted to put X86 hardware in it. Never got around to it.

g4-quicksilver-700.jpg

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I think I know which Power Mac you are talking about. Such a nice looking case. I remember I got one we were going to recycle and I wanted to put X86 hardware in it. Never got around to it.

g4-quicksilver-700.jpg

Actually, it is an old Mac Mini with a PowerPC ("PPC") chip.

MotionMan