New job interview! im nervous and excited

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
you%20got%20the%20job-saidaonline.jpg

job.jpg

high_five_Lovely_Ladies_s835x774_95709_RE_I_did_it_for_the_lolz_Part_9_Wtf_Style-s835x774-180268-580.jpg

DreamJob.jpeg

I%20got%20the%20Job%20!!!.jpg

HIRED!!!

*BOUNCES OFF WALLS LIKE SUPER BALLS!*

boss told me it was a no brainer pick! everyone agreed! i start next week!

best thing thats happened to me in ten years!! dramatic life change!!!!!!

Original Post

so there was an ad on cl for a tv/electronic repair shop. ive been a electrical nut since i was a child. in my teens, i joined the electrical union and did the construction thing for a decade. needless to say, im seriously burnt out on the whole production based work environment. im tired of chaos everyday, and tired of being in a union hall that is spineless (wisconsins ibew halls are retarded, illinois ones are really great). i am also tired of working for big corporations (fortune 500 company, where everyone has a number not a name).

so anyway, i replied to the ad with my resume. i also sent a cover letter stating how toying with electronics is a passion of mine, and im always pulling apart technology just for fun.

they wrote back a week later, asking if i would like an interview. they seem like really great people, although i do not know what company this is for. its supposedly a locally owned repair shop thats looking for a really great fit. which is exactly what im looking for.

im nervous though! i dont even own dress up clothes... ill have to go to burlingtons this weekend to hopefully get something that makes me look professional. however i dont want to show up in a suit, because i really doubt this is some high profile job. they asked me to meet them at panera bread in the morning, so its not too high scale but im sure i will be expected to look nice.

any suggestions? can anyone tell me ill be fine? i feel like i KNOW i would be a perfect fit for this job, but im a terrible salesman because im so honest, and ive never been good at talking about myself in high regard.

types of projects ive done for fun-

-led lighting around the house, built with cheap components that combine to make what is normally very expensive items at a retail store
-windows car computer, touch screen molded into dash and all
-infared remote lighting controls using univeral remotes
-home networking with multiple computers, each with their own duties
-building hdtv antennas that work amazing and still look nice
-various small stuff like opening tv's to add speaker outputs for a stereo connection.. hacking car radios for AUX inputs... amplifying fm transmitters for mile+ range... etc

stuff like that... thing is i moved to an apartment a year ago. all of my projects have been scrapped and sold. i have no garage anymore, so im severely limited with what i can do. so its not like ill be able to show them examples. its going to be on me to explain it right

i dunno... i just need to go in with a great attitude and not be afraid to flex my knowledge. i really hope i get this job! it would be a dramatic change of pace, climate controlled conditions and doing something i actually enjoy. i cant even imagine how nice it would be!

Last edited:

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Good luck.

I didn't know current electrionic goods were repairable. I thought we were lucky if they could be recycled. lol

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
your typical TV/electronic repair shop is about as professional as a small engine repair shop, i.e. some guy in a garage.

Don't wear a suit, wear coveralls. Are you expecting to make more than minimum wage? You probably shouldn't be.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
any suggestions? can anyone tell me ill be fine? i feel like i KNOW i would be a perfect fit for this job, but im a terrible salesman because im so honest, and ive never been good at talking about myself in high regard.

Best of luck.

I wouldn't worry too much about what to wear. Most anything that fits you well and is neat and clean should work.

I suspect that standard dress would be khakis and a polo shirt. Though, if you have an Oxford Button down shirt, that would be fine as well.

Try not to over anticipate the interview. Until you meet the people at a new company, you can never know how you would fit in.

Try and remember that a successful interview is one where you gain more information about the company and they gain more information about you. The goal is a good fit. Sometimes, that means that there will be a job offer. Sometimes, it means that you both discover that it is not a good fit and that you are free to continue to look for a good fit.

Best of luck,
Uno

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
Good luck!

I'd suggest just a nice pair of khakis and a polo shirt.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
your typical TV/electronic repair shop is about as professional as a small engine repair shop, i.e. some guy in a garage.

Don't wear a suit, wear coveralls. Are you expecting to make more than minimum wage? You probably shouldn't be.

thanks dick.

the ad stated it would start at 35k a year with full benefits and vacation days

to everyone else- thanks for the encouragement! i can tell by talking on the phone these guys seem legit. very nice and not looking for some new kid or guy that just wants a job.

i think as long as i keep on point that i want to do this and not for the money ill be fine. i know its not a job ill get rich at, but if i can be happy throughout the day ill feel rich.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

Nice encouragement, fuck.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i got another interview!

this time with a non union construction shop. ive been a union worker for a decade, but recently i have decided no more union bs for me. thats why im even looking for something different like electronic repair.

but this would be good too. theyre an established construction company looking for in house electricians. i talked to the guy on the phone for 20min and it seems like ill be working next week. he wants to meet me first though, so we scheduled an interview two hours from now!

this will likely start at $17/hr... maybe more but i told him dont even consider me unless its at least that.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
i got another interview!

this time with a non union construction shop. ive been a union worker for a decade, but recently i have decided no more union bs for me. thats why im even looking for something different like electronic repair.

but this would be good too. theyre an established construction company looking for in house electricians. i talked to the guy on the phone for 20min and it seems like ill be working next week. he wants to meet me first though, so we scheduled an interview two hours from now!

this will likely start at $17/hr... maybe more but i told him dont even consider me unless its at least that.

Best of luck man. It's nicer to work with things you feel more passionately for.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Best of luck man. It's nicer to work with things you feel more passionately for.

and people around you that you actually care about.... thats the worst part of the union. you might find guys you like working with, but job calls change constantly so 75% of the time youre working with the idiots who nobody likes so they get shuffled all around town constantly, and youre expected to pick up their slack just to hold the position you have.

fuck i hate my local :mad:

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
You are not hired

Not because they will never pay you that, but because you made the statement above.

anything less would tell him that i dont know what im doing. these jobs normally start above 20.

he wouldnt schedule an interview in 2 hours if he didnt like what he heard. i know how to talk to construction bosses.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Good luck!

I've made that statement before too ("I won't take less than xxxx amount") and I still got hired, and for a decent percentage more than that bottom line.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Good luck!

I've made that statement before too ("I won't take less than xxxx amount") and I still got hired, and for a decent percentage more than that bottom line.

Yeah sometimes its necessary.

And sometimes I've got hired even if I post to forums in the middle of the application. I'm waiting for the boss at his office!

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
well i might not get that job! they asked about misdemeanors... so 4 years ago i get caught with a few grams of weed and its still effecting my job search today.

they also were concerned about a 3 month suspension on my license that happened 10 years ago. it was a zero tolerance thing, i was 20 years old and i blew a .01 (only blew because i thought i wouldnt even register it, i wasnt drunk)

so thats that i guess. i mean maybe not, he did say for me to call him back tuesday and if that other interview i have that day doesnt work he will probably set me up to work somewhere... but i dont like how he asked about the past convictions. he wrote stuff down when i was explaining it. i have a feeling its going to disqualify me.

1 more year and im paying a lawyer to get everything expunged. im tired of businesses asking about misdemeanors but i guess thats the new fad.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Wow, I did not realize employers could ask about misdemeanors. I have a couple but have never been asked. Convicted of a felony? Sure. But I've never been even asked if I've been arrested (I thought it was illegal to do this?).

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Wow, I did not realize employers could ask about misdemeanors. I have a couple but have never been asked. Convicted of a felony? Sure. But I've never been even asked if I've been arrested (I thought it was illegal to do this?).

really? its been this way for a few years now. any sort of decent paying job wants to know your entire life. misdemeanor conviction for cannabis automatically disqualifies you for a lot of jobs these days.

but then on some applications, like this local delearship for an auto mechanic, specifically states "please list any misdemeanors besides poss of marijuana" or something to that tune.

so its not like employers think weed equals bad workers, its got more to do with insurance companies trying to jack up their premiums. god i hate this fucking country sometimes...

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I hope you get the job before Obama re-takes office.

i hope obama gets re elected and finally goes all black on this government. end drug war, raise taxes on upper class and stop wasting so much money on frivolous wars.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Good luck mate!

Stay calm and listen to the question. Give reasons and ask the person to repeat if you didn't hear the question. Keep things concise and don't just rabbit on about stuff.

Koing

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
so treat them like a girl on a date? sit there, listen, answer questions directed at me in short order and always find a way to put focus on them? ;)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
and people around you that you actually care about.... thats the worst part of the union. you might find guys you like working with, but job calls change constantly so 75% of the time youre working with the idiots who nobody likes so they get shuffled all around town constantly, and youre expected to pick up their slack just to hold the position you have.

fuck i hate my local :mad:

but you love smoking weed and will die before changing your ways doing it.

TV/Radio repair is the perfect job in reality then.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
but you love smoking weed and will die before changing your ways doing it.

TV/Radio repair is the perfect job in reality then.

so you came into this thread just to hate on me for something that doesnt effect anyone else? fuck off dude

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
so you came into this thread just to hate on me for something that doesnt effect anyone else? fuck off dude

no bro, it's now affecting all of us plus google. Put down the weed and come back to it once you have succeeded in life.