New Info on Mortal Online

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
http://www.mortalonline.com/fi...OnlinePresentation.rar

Powerpoint presentation - answers a lot of questions.

I'm still looking forward to trying out Darkfall, but I don't think they have enough money or developers behind the game. How many years has DF been in development now? 8?

MO seriously looks great. Definitely the closest thing to UO that we've seen in a long, long time.

Update 3/1/10:Version 0.13.20.25 and .26 – Beta
2010-02-26

This is a client-sided hot fix. We wanted to get the worst bugs out of the way to get the game to a more playable level for you again, therefor certain things will not be included in this hit fix due to the amount of time it would take.

------ HOT FIXES ------

- Armor Durability now works as intended.
- Starter weapons will now show up as intended.
- The day/night cycle should no longer desynch on some clients.
- The missing skill books are now added.
- Floating NPCs are now back down on the ground.
- Missing Priests in the south-west region are now added.
- Keep Plans and Palisades are now added.
- Certain issues with Magic was addressed.
- Multiple Stamina issues have been fixed.
- Risar will now spawn as intended.
- Potions and Bandages issues have been resolved.
- The correct animals will now spawn around Fabernum.

(Rebinding of the TAB key is fixed but will arrive in the next fix).
Next fix has no ETA at the moment.

Server side bugs that have been fixed, but are not being deployed in the hot fix:
(They will get added server side so they are coming soon, our main priority is the client side fixes).

- Gray flag after dismounting horses.
- Hidden Criminals guarding themselves will no longer spawn blue loot bags.

Other issues are known and being worked on.
Please refer to the Known Issues thread to see which they are.
Here: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/beta-discussion/

New Trailer: http://www.mortalonline.com/videos

Last edited:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah I have been following it since it was in early alpha. Really looks promising.

Is the revolutionary combat in the power point messed up for anyone else ?Fixed.

After watching the ppt the parts I like :
Mounts can be purchased from NPC stables, however they will also be found wandering around freely in the wild, where you?ll have to go to find the really rare ones. Taming wild creatures and mounts can be a difficult but rewarding process, and is yet another way to make a living in the game.

I could see someone making a career of just finding, taming and selling creatures.

Many of today?s MMO?s feature bosses you ?raid?, a very artificial thing you do over and over and over again in late-game to get all that nifty gear. In Mortal Online, you don?t kill the boss 100 times and die once or twice ? the boss kills you 100 times and die once. And then stays dead.
Love that.
Some will say that is unfair, only the big guilds will be able to do things like kill a boss. Well they are going for realism. You don't get to kill a boss with 5 people.

We don?t think your character (and thereby you) should know the names of every flower or ore in the game from start. Without the appropriate studies, the red flower will simply be called Red Flower to you. Once you start to learn skills like Botany or Herbalism, its name will change to Steppe Rose. This approach means no more frustrating virtual restrictions like ?you cannot pick that? ? while at the same time it ensures that skills do matter.

Likewise, when examining a weapon the amount and quality of information presented to you will vary according to skill. If you don?t know anything about swords, its Damage attribute will display a ???. When you know more about swords, Damage may be displayed as Average or Great. If you specialize in sword crafting, you will find even more details such as info on the different damage types. This makes a sword-smith very valuable apart from the fact that s/he can ?make stuff? and encourages social interaction, business and trade.

This shows how they are really thinking about details and not just making a carbon copy of previous MMORPG. Why should players be able to know everything about the environment when people in the real world do not unless they learn it first. Just like I can't pick up a sword and say "its the strongest steel in the world, and it does x amount of damage" , without actually having studied the art.

No levels means no virtual level restrictions for items or weapons. You may use almost all items you encounter, although many will require you to practice a skill to be any good at them. No more ?you cannot use this?.

This is the one I like the most !
I am so sick of games that are stuck in the D&D rule set that a wizard can't pick up a sword and try to defend himself with it. What is he crippled too ?
Fine if I can't use it well, but don't tell me that just because I use magic that the concept of wearing armor is beyond my mental comprehension.

Nov 7, 2000
excited about this game, and impressed with developers communication to the community (something piss poor with darkfall)

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
excited about this game, and impressed with developers communication to the community (something piss poor with darkfall)

It seems like a lot of MMO's lately have terrible communication, and I just don't get it. There are some things that sound easy to do, but turn out to be difficult, unbeknownst to the gaming community. Communication isn't one of them. How hard is it to have someone write up some notes and sticky them on the forums, honestly.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
The premise of the game is fine, however, the first person view makes it a no-no for me. Not interested, one bit.

I don't play roleplaying games or MMOs because I want it to seem like I'm INSIDE the character. I play them because I like the interactivity of the game world. To me, a 3D isometric display, such as the one in Titan Quest, suits an MMO much better than a first or third person view does.

Based on the other promises of MO, I would have mortgaged my house to fund development. As it is, though, I will not be playing this game. There is nothing more "hard core" about playing with a first person view, and, in fact, I find it LESS realistic, as you lose your periphery. I don't have tunnel vision in real life, and I can't see my hands in front of me when I walk. An abstracted out-of-body view is far better suited to this type of game.

Sorry, MO. You're just another one of the pack.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: drebo

huh ?
You like everything else about the game, but because it uses first person everything else about it is make it like every other MMORPG ?

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Originally posted by: drebo

huh ?
You like everything else about the game, but because it uses first person everything else about it is make it like every other MMORPG ?

And how many other games have promised to be the bestest, mostest hardest corest game ever? Quite a few. Yet, they all try to turn the MMORPG genre into a first-person shooter. That's what this game is trying to do as well. You can tie a bow around a turd, but it's still stinks just as bad.

The premise behind the game is virtually identical to UO, which is great. However, turning it into an FPS is not. If I wanted to play an FPS with some faux-RPG elements, I'd play TF2. RPGs are supposed to immerse you into the WORLD of the game, not the specific character. These, in my opinion, should be played with an oblique third-person view, much like the original UO.

This game is going to have the same problems that Darkfall, AoC, and Shadowbane had, and it's mostly because it's not catering to the adult MMO crowd, but rather the FPS crowd. That is what makes it "just another one of the pack".

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
This game seems to be a lot like Darkfall, they promise a lot of the same things, you get used the the fps style combat although i'm not a fan of it. There are some really neat ideas in mortal online, full loot and seamless world make me want to try it.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com

Yes, this is nice..but will they be able to communicate when there are issues?

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage

Yes, this is nice..but will they be able to communicate when there are issues?

Well, that's a different story :)

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I hate to be a downer.. but WoW will probably still be better. :( I don't know how these new fantasy MMOs are supposed to compete. :(

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think they're trying to beat WOW, I believe they just want it to be successful. I really want this game to be fun.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Fanatical Meat
I don't think they're trying to beat WOW, I believe they just want it to be successful. I really want this game to be fun.

Exactly. The community will likely be very different from WoW.

WoW is honestly about as soft as an MMORPG can get, while MO is the polar opposite.

Phatzilla

Nov 30, 2004
The same thing is going to happen with MO as with Darkfall. These ideas sound amazing on paper, but getting them to 'work' is a whole new story.

Jinru

Feb 6, 2006
The graphics look amazing, think I'll have to give this a try. I'm worried about large scale battles though, I can imagine the slide show lag once you have 100+ people going at it with this graphic intensive game, similar to what happened with DF.

Feb 4, 2009
I've been watching this for some time but have been turned off to it lately. I still would love to try it out, where is the beta download located at? I'll load it up tonight.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Sweet, I've been waiting for this since Darkfall failed me.

Before I try I'd like to ask one of the guinea pigs since you have to buy the game before playing the open beta: -edit- seems to be free -edit
-how does leveling work?
-how do you get gold?
-how do you make/collect armor & weapons?
-how does the town system work?
-is there territorial control for clans?
-can a city/town/hut be set up anywhere?
-what is the grind like?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2000
a close friend had pre-ordered so he could get into the Beta. Has generally very positive things to say. Biggest complaint (that he says is shared by most), is that there is very little guidance or instruction. He also believes the game needs quite some more development time, but is worried that it will be released too soon.

This guy was a serious UO fan and has been looking for a suitable replacement. DFO was a bust, but he seems really optimistic about MO.

I havent really followed it in quite some time personally.