New Info on Mortal Online

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I had posted a list of links back a few posts.

For the hot bar, press L and drag the icon to the hotbar. If it does not work check the lag by drawing your weapon and try again when there is no lag. If that still does not work report it as a bug.

Yeah, I was looking at the maps but still couldn't figure out where I was. I now know where I am though. I managed to make it down to the beaches in the very south of the map. I do not recommend going down there! First of all, lots of swimming is required and swimming takes forever in this game. Secondly, its difficult to find a way back up the cliffs. Thirdly, there seems to have been some kind of memory leak so I was trying to walk around at about 5fps. Going to log back in later and see if that still exists, then I'll report it.

Also found the disappearing ramps in the jungle, which when you get about 3/4's of the way up they disappear and you drop to your death. Generally that's over 5k in damage. :\ Reported that though.

I'll try the hotbar stuff when I go back in later, thanks!

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Word of advice guys, do NOT go down to the south part of the map. In specific do not go down to Loca virgultis and below. The reason being you will not be able to get back up the cliffs. There is only one way back up, and that is up the disappearing ramps which will kill you. So until they fix this, I don't recommend it. I just spent hours attempting to get back. I went from one end of the map to the other, and when I died it spawned me right back at the very bottom each time. Just got lucky on my last one and it brought me back up.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
The first of two big patches got pushed back 24 hours. Will be released tomorrow according to the devs.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
191.11 mb patch it up.

The server has been wiped.

The launcher works properly now.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Version 0.13.20.25 and .26 – Beta
2010-02-26

This is a client-sided hot fix. We wanted to get the worst bugs out of the way to get the game to a more playable level for you again, therefor certain things will not be included in this hit fix due to the amount of time it would take.

------ HOT FIXES ------

- Armor Durability now works as intended.
- Starter weapons will now show up as intended.
- The day/night cycle should no longer desynch on some clients.
- The missing skill books are now added.
- Floating NPCs are now back down on the ground.
- Missing Priests in the south-west region are now added.
- Keep Plans and Palisades are now added.
- Certain issues with Magic was addressed.
- Multiple Stamina issues have been fixed.
- Risar will now spawn as intended.
- Potions and Bandages issues have been resolved.
- The correct animals will now spawn around Fabernum.

(Rebinding of the TAB key is fixed but will arrive in the next fix).
Next fix has no ETA at the moment.

Server side bugs that have been fixed, but are not being deployed in the hot fix:
(They will get added server side so they are coming soon, our main priority is the client side fixes).

- Gray flag after dismounting horses.
- Hidden Criminals guarding themselves will no longer spawn blue loot bags.

Other issues are known and being worked on.
Please refer to the Known Issues thread to see which they are.
Here: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/beta-discussion/

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I uninstalled and deleted Mortal Online. Good ideas, poor execution. I wouldn't even play the game if it was free.

=(

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
The day/night cycle is quite awesome, but you need to be ready for the night to make use of it. There are also bugs and exploits that allow players to have perma day or see better at night then everyone else. Once those are fixed night time will have more meaning. The darkness varies if you are in a valley/dense forest/open grassland. Dense forest are darkest at night, to the point you can barely see anything (which I like).You can see the light sinking down a hill as the sun rises. Future tweaks to the night cycle are coming as well.

The lag has improved greatly over the past few weeks. The combat system is clunky but quite enjoyable.

Thieving is totally broken atm, but things such as stealing animations & the ability to hit them while stealing to make them gray (anyone can kill them) helps a good bit. Still no real defense though if you are trying to do anything BUT not get robbed. This though only applies to newbie towns 90% of the time and is a non issue if you set up shop in the wilds.

Devs talk of territorial control with the prize being taxes on those with houses in the area (most players will make it a goal to at least get/use a house). Buildable keeps with walls & gates have already been added.

Still a lot of various bugs, only the night cycle one being game breaking. If they add the current missing content (carfting, magic, materials, mobs, regions) and fix the result bugs and the lag, the game is set. Sounds like a lot but they are mostly there.

If you're interested try the beta. If you like the idea but not the way it currently works (minus the bugs) I'd suggest coming back in 6 or so months so you have a more "smooth" experience as there are going to be bumps along the way.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
The release of MO has been delayed another month, putting the new release date around early May. The problem was severe desync.

Here is the official post on the MO forums.
http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/39574-release-update-mortal-online.html#post811235

2010-03-29

Dear community,

As you know we have been working hard to solve our desync issue within the game to have a proper release of Mortal Online. We have made some progress but we think we have hit the limits on the current version of the network solution we are using. We believed we had the solution before end of March but we now see that this is not possible at the moment therefore we have to postpone the release for another month. We have been working very hard day and night now for some years and finally started to see the goal and release, we just have to put another gear in before we are going to release Mortal Online. Thank you for your feedback and support that helped us to take this important decision.

Both the community and we here at Star Vault agree that we need to have the desync issue solved before we can release Mortal Online. We have decided to upgrade our network solution with Epic Games to improve the overall network structure.
We have already started the merge a week ago which means we are converting all our current features and content into the new structure, this will take some time for us to finish before we can test the result of this with your help in the open beta. We will also fly some of our programmers to the US where Epic Games are located to work within their team to get their fully support on our game and update of the network structure in an efficient way other than distance cooperation. This will improve the speed and quality of us going into the latest build of Unreal Engine and the network solution which should eliminate most of our current issues, both in performance and network wise. While our programmers work directly on the merge and some bug fixing our artists will continue to work on the world, and bring us a few new interest points to Nave. This also means we get the latest build of Unreal Engine which gives us the opportunity to evaluate SpeedTree 5.1 and some other interesting tools.

We will announce a final release date at a later

As for a update on the progress of the game, it is coming along very nice. There are still many bugs, most of which I would hope will be fixed by release. But there is a lot of content they want to put in which will not make release but will be added later, such as territorial control for clans. The graphics are also suposed to be upgraded at some point. It still has yet to be seen what the grind will be like as things like gathering rates have been increased for the beta.

Feb 4, 2009
I want this game to work so much unfortunately it's very Meh right now. Thank god I've grown up and I am more difficult to get suckered into preorders ($78.00)

Koudelka

Jul 3, 2004
I'm not too sure about this game... honestly, if it is ever released i'm sure it will fail hardcore after a few months.

I tried the beta a while back and with virtually no guide/info whatsoever it was pathetic. Took me several days to figure out that i was getting some 'offline play' bug where i would login, and it would load me into an absolutely dead world. Then i tried asking in their forums for help and was flamed because somehow i didnt immediately recognize what the hell was going on.

Eh...

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
I'm not too sure about this game... honestly, if it is ever released i'm sure it will fail hardcore after a few months.

I tried the beta a while back and with virtually no guide/info whatsoever it was pathetic. Took me several days to figure out that i was getting some 'offline play' bug where i would login, and it would load me into an absolutely dead world. Then i tried asking in their forums for help and was flamed because somehow i didnt immediately recognize what the hell was going on.

Eh...

Well, forum asshats aside, I think that problem is "mostly" fixed. Also the golden rule is if something not working, relog. You'd be amazed at what that fixes (note that you will lose your "pet" unless it is a horse and you are riding it when you log out.)

The beta is still ongoing, so if you're willing to take the time to download it again you can see what progress has been made. Keeping in mind come hell or high water the desync issues will get fixed by release.

In the general forums section there is a sticky on top with some guides and a youtube basic tutorial. But I do agree that MO neededs a ingame tutorial. With the pressure they seem to be under I would expect a detailed youtube tutorial to tie them over for a month or two.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
http://www.mortalonline.com/news/rlease-update-14-05-2010

Mortal Online goes live on the 9th of June

They say the desync/lag is fixed and are now ready for release. Being a beta it's hard to tell what features will and will not be in the game upon release. Last I heard SV (makes of MO) were running out of money and had to release soon.

No idea of there will be a free trial or not, and unless they show in the beta how much the game has imrproved *cough*desync*cough* then they are shooting themselves in the foot by just saying "All fixed, now buy our game!".

Feb 4, 2009
This makes me sick, I really despise people who hype the hell out of a game and don't deliver. I thought I'd enjoy the open beta but I doubt I've used it more than 30 minutes. It's simply boring there is nothing to do and the lag make combat awkward. Once agian I am so glad I didn't do the super expensive preorder for beta access.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
This makes me sick, I really despise people who hype the hell out of a game and don't deliver. I thought I'd enjoy the open beta but I doubt I've used it more than 30 minutes. It's simply boring there is nothing to do and the lag make combat awkward. Once agian I am so glad I didn't do the super expensive preorder for beta access.

I loved it, minus the lag/bugs, during my time in the open beta.

It's a niche game, love it or hate it.

Jinru

Feb 6, 2006
It will improve over time. It took Darkfall over a year to get their shit together, vast improvements compared to when they first released. I imagine the same thing happening with MO, I guess it's expected of small indie companies.