New hot tub getting installed today (YATT)(now with photo)

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I was thinking of tipping the 3 guys who will be there $50.00. Its a 6 man tub and one of the installers is the owner of the company.

Sound fair? My co worker said not to tip them anything since it was 3 weeks late, but I want to maintain good relations with the company.

So.. tip the installers? Is $50 too much or enough?

They are hauling off my old one, putting the new one in place, hooking up the electrical which is already there, and filling it up.

Last edited:

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
It is common to tip 30%. Haven't you ever been to a restaurant? Same rules apply.

A new 6-man hot tub with install should run about $8,000 or so? Tip $2,400 or risk looking like a cheapskate.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Why tip them at all. Aren't you paying for installation and delivery?

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I did pay for installation and delivery. No tip then I guess.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i had a buddy who installs spas and tips are expected. he surely gets people who don't tip though, and i do think that people simply don't think they need to tip nor should they, and i can't say i blame them if they paid for delivery + installation already, but when he gets $20 that is pretty much expected and he's happy with that. he has gotten tips of $200 though.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I gave the plumber $10 more than what he quoted me yesterday. Mainly because I didn't have a $10 bill. If I did, I probably wouldn't have given him the extra $. I did offer a drink a few times. I say no tip.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
i had a buddy who installs spas and tips are expected. he surely gets people who don't tip though, and i do think that people simply don't think they need to tip nor should they, and i can't say i blame them if they paid for delivery + installation already, but when he gets $20 that is pretty much expected and he's happy with that. he has gotten tips of $200 though.

I don't understand this logic. Why would a tip be expected if the service you are getting is paid for already? They are getting paid for that job. To me, it would be the same as tipping a contractor.

Before the flames start, I do tip waitresses and waiters.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Holy crap, this tipping nonsense is getting out of hand. Who are you going to tip next... the UPS delivery guy?

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Holy crap, this tipping nonsense is getting out of hand. Who are you going to tip next... the UPS delivery guy?

LOL

...and the cashier at the grocery store... and then the bag boy for bagging... and then the guy with the mop on aisle 5 who is cleaning up the spaghetti sauce...

tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Guys we've tipped at our house:

- Movers (we've used them 4 separate times, know the foreman at this point) - tipped each of the guys $20 - wife insisted, I didn't think about tipping them before she said it
- Cleaning Lady - Christmas bonus, not a regular tip on top of what we pay her

Other than that, we've had a fridge, washer/dryer installed, reclaimed wood wall in our dining room, dining table/chairs, various other pieces of furniture, all but about 10 windows in our house replaced, alarm system. Haven't tipped those folks. If it's a physical good and the service part is paid for, I have a hard time tipping them for it.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
paid for installation/delivery? I would NOT tip.

Guys we've tipped at our house:

- Movers (we've used them 4 separate times, know the foreman at this point) - tipped each of the guys $20 - wife insisted, I didn't think about tipping them before she said it
- Cleaning Lady - Christmas bonus, not a regular tip on top of what we pay her

Other than that, we've had a fridge, washer/dryer installed, reclaimed wood wall in our dining room, dining table/chairs, various other pieces of furniture, all but about 10 windows in our house replaced, alarm system. Haven't tipped those folks. If it's a physical good and the service part is paid for, I have a hard time tipping them for it.

Damn, do you do anything yourself? :D

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Bringing them lemonade while they work will have the same effect, but will be a lot cheaper.

I did bring out cups of ice and an assortment of bottled water and diet dr pepper and diet pepsi. I ended up tipping each of the 3 guys 10 bucks also and they were very appreciative. They didn't fill the tub or hook up the electrical, just put it on the porch where I wanted it, put the cover lifter on it, and hauled away the old shell.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
LOL

...and the cashier at the grocery store... and then the bag boy for bagging... and then the guy with the mop on aisle 5 who is cleaning up the spaghetti sauce...

tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip tip

This is a little different. Groceries aren't a luxury item. A hot tub is considered a luxury item and the tipping for services like this is different from standard things that everyone does.2

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
This is a little different. Groceries aren't a luxury item. A hot tub is considered a luxury item and the tipping for services like this is different from standard things that everyone does.2

That's the problem. Not "everyone" tips for luxuries. They're getting a paycheck. The USA is literally the only country in the world where this tipping disease has spread like a nasty virus. It's ridiculous.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
That's the problem. Not "everyone" tips for luxuries. They're getting a paycheck. The USA is literally the only country in the world where this tipping disease has spread like a nasty virus. It's ridiculous.

I'm all for not tipping more than 15% either. I don't like it how people up the scale to 20-25% just because. I tipped less than their hourly wage and they were here a little over 2 hours. It was a best a nice gesture.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
I did bring out cups of ice and an assortment of bottled water and diet dr pepper and diet pepsi. I ended up tipping each of the 3 guys 10 bucks also and they were very appreciative.

Dear Penthouse,

Nov 29, 2006
I did bring out cups of ice and an assortment of bottled water and diet dr pepper and diet pepsi. I ended up tipping each of the 3 guys 10 bucks also and they were very appreciative. They didn't fill the tub or hook up the electrical, just put it on the porch where I wanted it, put the cover lifter on it, and hauled away the old shell.

If you paid for installation as you said why didn't they install it? and they got a tip as well? Wth