New formula O/C competition.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Any time there is even a hint of conflict of interest in any competitive event, be it car racing or OC'ing CPU's, the entire event as well as its purported winners are immediately rewarded with suspicion and presumed guilt by the target audience.

You are old enough and experienced enough to know this Nemesis. Seriously what made you think human psychology would cease to operate when it came to your proposal for an OC event?

If your daughter wins this competition, for legitimate reasons or not, the ONLY outcome will be that the event is viewed as a sham and the competition rigged in advance with the intent to be that your daughter would win.

This is the only outcome that will come from this competition, regardless whether it is true or not, and you should care about this fact in advertising because the court of public opinion is the very judge/jury/executioner that you are wanted to influence with the results of the competition.

Given this, there is zero point to having your daughter enter into the competition, unless the point really is to stack the deck in your kin's favor.

Ask yourself this - have you EVER seen a competition in which the fine print on entry rules did not explicitly prohibit the employees and anyone associated with them (friends and family) from entering the event?

There is a reason for the existence of this fine print on every competitive event. Ignore the reasoning behind this reality at your (and your daughter's) own peril.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
We can't please everyone . The first event will mainly be for Highend Air/water.

As for formate wait for it tobe published than bitch . Judging will be done by competor choice/ Majority rule as who judges . From list of canadates that commit to event .

Grandchampion in AIR cooling will likely be decided by . Performance/ design/ heat sinks/ appearance. I would say Case design will when this event.

Grandchampion in water . Heat sink/Case design will determine winner here . Its total point for five catagories. The only prize that will be given that isn't performance related will be case appearance. Thats $1,000 prize. and 0 points. All others have points total points win .

My daughters not in competion. I am not in competion . My wifes up todate Desktop will be . I am worried about here machine its early design and its very good. But a 7 year old girl will be operating that PC. My desktop will be in the show . Its competely new design . That allows use of my orginal large core rad . I solved the air flow problem in a big way .

This machine will be operated by my grandson . who is 2 years old now on may 9 . He will be 3 than . Wait until some off you guys meet this kid . He is a jaw dropper. Extremely smart . and HUGH I mean HUGH. He already has a PC does rather well with it also .

If My daughters system win . The people at the event will understand why? Its a class of its own both are . But mine is really good. I can tell ya guys . Because I don't care . These machines have silver blocks and there very good . We will have a demo set up showing how we can take almost any manufactories waterblock and make each and every one perform exactly equal to each other. This event is going to also be an eye opener for many.

We intend on these children winning . If they do there won't be any doubts why. When PCs are compared.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Because were using silver we moved case design ahead of Heat/sink design for watercooling. But in air cooling heatsink design beats case design . I don't know if we will have AIR machine design completed by than . But were hoping. But this case, Bobs being really careful with . as its the money maker. It has to be perfect from get go.

You won't find the fifth catagory listed above. Were have serious problems with this one.

Its how to score points for memory. My daughter wants Memory to be second in points I want 4 th in points. She thinks O/C memory should get big points a think not.

My wife mentioned to me that what dar wants makes more sense. I said NO. She said are you sure that the reason you don't want memory scoring high points because we use the EE chips . I never thought about that .

Now I have to wrestle with this . It would have been much easier decision had Dar not made the remark the it will help get memory sponsorships for rvents . I didn't like that. All others did . But they letting me decide . I tell ya guys this one has me cornernered.

Because were talking 24/7 O/Cs here . High memory load bothers shit out of me as to opreation of PC. I just hope I make right decision . Best thing would probably give points for memory O/C. I really need to study this on our machines to see if it changes outcomes. If it favors us. I will do the opposite. thats just the way I am . But is that correct . I feel with silver heatsinks . I did right. Well I know I did right ,cause I know the results. but this one this one is a pain in the royal ass.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
We can't please everyone . The first event will mainly be for Highend Air/water.

As for formate wait for it tobe published than bitch . Judging will be done by competor choice/ Majority rule as who judges . From list of canadates that commit to event .

Grandchampion in AIR cooling will likely be decided by . Performance/ design/ heat sinks/ appearance. I would say Case design will when this event.

Grandchampion in water . Heat sink/Case design will determine winner here . Its total point for five catagories. The only prize that will be given that isn't performance related will be case appearance. Thats $1,000 prize. and 0 points. All others have points total points win .

My daughters not in competion. I am not in competion . My wifes up todate Desktop will be . I am worried about here machine its early design and its very good. But a 7 year old girl will be operating that PC. My desktop will be in the show . Its competely new design . That allows use of my orginal large core rad . I solved the air flow problem in a big way .

This machine will be operated by my grandson . who is 2 years old now on may 9 . He will be 3 than . Wait until some off you guys meet this kid . He is a jaw dropper. Extremely smart . and HUGH I mean HUGH. He already has a PC does rather well with it also .

If My daughters system win . The people at the event will understand why? Its a class of its own both are . But mine is really good. I can tell ya guys . Because I don't care . These machines have silver blocks and there very good . We will have a demo set up showing how we can take almost any manufactories waterblock and make each and every one perform exactly equal to each other. This event is going to also be an eye opener for many.

We intend on these children winning . If they do there won't be any doubts why. When PCs are compared.

Why would case design determine the winner in everything. This seems totally rigged and if I didn't take the time to reply with this obvious stunt, I should have just LOCKED this or completely flushed it down the toilet.

With case design being the determining factor in the contest and being VERY subjective, anyone can see the obvious bias in this contest.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1

Again, nothing more than a PR stunt. Move along, people.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I almost locked it also. I may soon. Gilbot didn't, so I guess it must be worth laughing at for a while.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Markfw900
I almost locked it also. I may soon. Gilbot didn't, so I guess it must be worth laughing at for a while.

I think the over-riding spirit of the topic itself has merit...namely what value do non-contestants find in reading about or watching youtube videos regarding overclocking events? (sponsored or otherwise)

In the world of racing the value is derived from viewing the spectacle as essentially a form of entertainment.

Is that the value enthusiasts want to find in OC'ing events? And if so, how does the OC event sponsor make money off of it? (in racing the revenue flows from advertising dollars and pay-per-view and race tickets)

To date the "angle" on overclocking events appears to be "generate PR, hype about our products, and revenue will be generated by the follow-on sales from non-contestant readers/viewers/attendees".

I.e. vertical marketing...GOOC 2009 was very much an event solely designed to generate marketing for Gigabyte; whereas, NASCAR is designed to generate marketing opportunities for a bevy of companies and products from Lowe's to DLPs.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Time for a lock. I got word from other mods on feedback. This generates more BS than worthwhile discussion.