New England Punishment Announced

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
Originally posted by: herkulease
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: Garet Jax
I agree, but they could have taken the win away from them and given it to NY.
They don't really deserve the win though. It's a tough call. Like I said, banning them from the playoffs would send a message, but it could be too harsh. You'd want some kind of punishment that doesn't disrupt other teams, that way there can be no question about other teams. If you gave the win to the Jets and they got into the playoffs simply because of that, how should the team that has to play them feel about that? I'd be a little upset if I had to play someone that didn't really "belong" there.

I think that the punishment that was handed down was really all that could be done.

Denver cheated the salary cap and they got less of a punishment than the Pats. This was one of the harshest punishments I've seen in a long time.

denver lost 2 3rd rounders and penalized close to 2 million bucks(I know that's chump change to these franchises) and it took them some 6 years after the fact to discover it.

also it was under taglibue.

Goodell has shown himself to be a no nonsense guy. the dallas assistant coach or whatever got suspended for HGH and he doesn't even play. Teams were told they can't do this, the Pats apparently have done this before and got warned. So Goodell threw down the hammer.

Who knows maybe there's something more, than just videotaping signals. We heard about odd radio frequency that hte Pats couldn't explain to Goodell's liking.
Thanks for owning that PatZealot

Owning? You're a dumbass. Personally, I feel cheating the salary cap, regardless of when it was discovered, regardless of who is commissioner at the time, is a much larger offense than taping signals. Two #3's /= the drastic loss of a #1.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Not a real big deal. After winning the Super Bowl, the last pick in the first round isn't a big loss.

:thumbsup:

2007 Last Pick: Anthony Gonzalez, Second String WR, Colts
2006 Last Pick: Mathias Kiwanuka, Starting LOLB
2005 Last Pick: Logan Mankins, Starting LG, Patriots
2004 Last Pick: Benjamin Watson, Starting TE, Patriots
2003 Last Pick: Tyler Brayton, Second String DT, Raiders
2002 Last Pick: Patrick Ramsey, Second String QB, Broncos
2001 Last Pick: Todd Heap, Starting TE, Ravens
2000 Last Pick: Trung Candiate, Free Agent RB
1999 Last Pick: Al Wilson, Free Agent MLB
1998 Last Pick: Marcus Nash, Arena Football League
1997 Last Pick: Ross Verba, Free Agent G

The past 10 years: 4 starters, 3 second strings, 1 former Pro Bowl free agent (Wilson).