New Cuba Thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: SickBeast
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: DanceMan
And there is much difference between poor and rich Cuba, just like any other society. And to think that their life is compleatly paid for by the government is not true. They get healthcare and pretty good early education, and that's about it.
Under communism where inheritance is illegal, how does one become "rich"? My wife and I spent around $100 on tips during our week, and those probably went to at least 15-20 people.

Is there a private sector in Cuba?

Do people get rich on the black market selling cigars?

With all due respect, what you're saying doesn't make much sense to me. Have you been to Cuba? The quality of life I witnessed was quite consistent throughout my travels.

I was told that all of their higher education costs, food, and clothing are paid for by the government. Like I said, they have their life covered and they get $10/month spending money. I'm not sure why we have this conflicting information. How much does university cost in Cuba?

Are you smoking crack? Seriously. Some sort of wacky Cuban cigars? Because there's no way you're so naive as to think that because there are rules against inheritance, people aren't rich. There is no private sector, and the black market is fairly limited in scope, but the men who control the market in Cuba are very very wealthy. They're members of the Communist party. They aren't held to the same rules as everyone else. They aren't held to any rules at all (you do realize Cuba still imprisons, tortures and executes political dissidents, right?) And they live like kings while the rest of the Cubans can't afford telephones or televisions.

Fuck yeah, communism is the shit... if you're the one in charge.
Capitalism is also the shit if you're the one in charge. The same goes for a corporation. A monarchy. A dictatorship. Shall we continue?

Yes, we shall. Capitalism is also the shit if you're in the middle class. It's also pretty damn good for the poor. Can you say the same for communism and a monarchy?
Potentially. Have you ever spoken to someone who's lived in Russia while it was an economic superpower?

IMO the artisans could have been considered a "middle class" under monarchy.

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Originally posted by: marincounty
We'll see how well this flies this time around.

I got in this Sunday from a week in Varadero at a 4-star resort. We witnessed tropical storm Fay which was pretty interesting.

To be honest, what is happening there politically did bother me quite a bit this trip. The fact that the Cuban people are not allowed to leave the island really does hit a nerve within me. I hold freedom as a core value, and that aspect of their society caused me some moral friction.
Freedom aside, the Cuban people looked very healthy and they have an absolutely magnificent culture; one which is truly unmatched by all of my travels worldwide.

Again I had a lovely trip. What struck me as interesting was the fact that the US boycotts them while committing war crimes on their soil at Guantanamo Bay. What happened in 1959 is also quite fascinating. I'm curious as to how and why the elite there left so quietly.

The fact that I as an American citizen am not allowed by the US government to visit Cuba bothers me quite a bit. Does it bother you?
I can visit communist China or Vietnam. WTF
Apparently the boycott circles around the sugar cane exports of Cuba; for whatever reason the US government is concerned that it would disrupt their economy.

The boycott doesn't bother me; I just got back from there. I'm Canadian. You guys re-elected Bush (unless Diebold did) and it's your own problem at this point. If you want the boycott lifted, lobby your government. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

To be honest, as a Canadian I like the boycott. Most of the institutional stuff in Cuba was built by Canadians, and no offense intended, but it's nice to be able to visit a place where there are no Americans (just for a break; it's nothing personal).

I can only imagine what would happen to Cuba if the boycott were to be lifted. The place would become overdeveloped and overrun by American tourists.

As a fellow Canadian, I have to echo that last statement. Nothing against Americans, but it is refreshing to goto a tourist resort not dominated by visitors from the US.

I don't expect the majority of the posters here to understand that, but I expect the vast majority of Canadians would atleast understand my point of view, if not echo the sentiment.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: DukeN

I got in this Sunday from a week in Varadero at a 4-star resort. We witnessed tropical storm Fay which was pretty interesting.

To be honest, what is happening there politically did bother me quite a bit this trip. The fact that the Cuban people are not allowed to leave the island really does hit a nerve within me. I hold freedom as a core value, and that aspect of their society caused me some moral friction.
Freedom aside, the Cuban people looked very healthy and they have an absolutely magnificent culture; one which is truly unmatched by all of my travels worldwide.

Again I had a lovely trip. What struck me as interesting was the fact that the US boycotts them while committing war crimes on their soil at Guantanamo Bay. What happened in 1959 is also quite fascinating. I'm curious as to how and why the elite there left so quietly.

The fact that I as an American citizen am not allowed by the US government to visit Cuba bothers me quite a bit. Does it bother you?
Apparently the boycott circles around the sugar cane exports of Cuba; for whatever reason the US government is concerned that it would disrupt their economy.

The boycott doesn't bother me; I just got back from there. I'm Canadian. You guys re-elected Bush (unless Diebold did) and it's your own problem at this point. If you want the boycott lifted, lobby your government. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

To be honest, as a Canadian I like the boycott. Most of the institutional stuff in Cuba was built by Canadians, and no offense intended, but it's nice to be able to visit a place where there are no Americans (just for a break; it's nothing personal).

I can only imagine what would happen to Cuba if the boycott were to be lifted. The place would become overdeveloped and overrun by American tourists.

As a fellow Canadian, I have to echo that last statement. Nothing against Americans, but it is refreshing to goto a tourist resort not dominated by visitors from the US.

I don't expect the majority of the posters here to understand that, but I expect the vast majority of Canadians would atleast understand my point of view, if not echo the sentiment.

When you're on vacation, do you Canadians go around asking everyone you meet if they're American? I went to Canada once on vacation, and the Canadians I met were nothing like you guys.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Yes, we shall. Capitalism is also the shit if you're in the middle class. It's also pretty damn good for the poor. Can you say the same for communism and a monarchy?
Potentially. Have you ever spoken to someone who's lived in Russia while it was an economic superpower?

IMO the artisans could have been considered a "middle class" under monarchy.
[/quote]

You're the most naive person that I've ever come across, I actually feel bad for you now, so I'll refrain from making fun of you. Have a good night.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The fact that the Cuban people are not allowed to leave the island really does hit a nerve within me. I hold freedom as a core value, and that aspect of their society caused me some moral friction.
Then why the hell did you go to that country???!!!!

Do you realize that people like you are helping the government to imprison its population by providing it with much needed currency.

Aren't there other islands you could visit that have much better human rights records?
Pretty much every nation in the Caribbean is a banana republic of one sort or another. The living standard in Cuba is probably among the best, if not the best, in Latin America aside from perhaps Brazil.

I needed a vacation.

Human rights are only one part of the equation.

As Infohawk said, by giving the Cuban people money while I was there, in a sense I am empowering them to free themselves.

If you look back historically, when things have gotten bad enough, the populace has revolted, time and time again. If I were Cuban, I'm not sure I would revolt. They seem to do ok; they're poor but they have life's necessities. Their government says that they can't leave the island, but there are ways, such as marrying a foreigner or building a nice and fast boat. :)

I hope you are kidding here. I can name several countries off hand that have a much higher standard of living than Cuba: Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico, Panama, Venezuela and Chile. I have been to or lived in all of those countries except for Chile. Furthermore, the lack of economic freedom in Cuba (as well as high prices) mean that the average Joe in Cuba certainly has less of an ability to prosper than individuals in those other countries (even Venezuela). About the only thing that Cuba has going for it that makes it less miserable is that it has a state-funded healthcare and education system. In fact, without those government subsidies, Cuba would have one of the lowest standards of livings in Latin America.

There are plenty of decent democracies in Latin America. I am certainly not opposed to lifting the Cuban embargo (it should have been done a long time ago). Yes, U.S. policy has fucked Cuba in a variety of ways pre-dating Castro, and it largely continues today. However, the Cuban people do not have a choice in the matter. They do not have the freedom to demand change or improve their economic situation.

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Originally posted by: JD50
Originally posted by: DukeN

When you're on vacation, do you Canadians go around asking everyone you meet if they're American? I went to Canada once on vacation, and the Canadians I met were nothing like you guys.

Canadians are (typically) too polite to say anything rude to someone they dislike, unless things get real bad.

Just googleCanadians dislike Americans and you'll see lots of results.
I don't dislike or hate Americans or but the environment in the US is too stifling for my liking.

Couple of misc web posts here and there for you:
http://www.canuckabroad.com/fo...-americans-vt2075.html
http://www.stormfront.org/foru...e-americans-56777.html

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I didn't ask a single person what their nationality was while I was on the trip.

There probably were a bunch of Americans there and I didn't even realize it.

I can see why Cuba would be a sore spot for an American; Varadero (AFAIK) was paid for and built in large part by Americans.

Perhaps you shouldn't take the revolution so personally and just let it go. Even if they point another missile at you, let it go; hopefully NASA can blow it up or figure out a way to intercept and deactivate it first.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Mill
The fact that the Cuban people are not allowed to leave the island really does hit a nerve within me. I hold freedom as a core value, and that aspect of their society caused me some moral friction.

Do you realize that people like you are helping the government to imprison its population by providing it with much needed currency.

Aren't there other islands you could visit that have much better human rights records?
Pretty much every nation in the Caribbean is a banana republic of one sort or another. The living standard in Cuba is probably among the best, if not the best, in Latin America aside from perhaps Brazil.

I needed a vacation.

As Infohawk said, by giving the Cuban people money while I was there, in a sense I am empowering them to free themselves.

If you look back historically, when things have gotten bad enough, the populace has revolted, time and time again. If I were Cuban, I'm not sure I would revolt. They seem to do ok; they're poor but they have life's necessities. Their government says that they can't leave the island, but there are ways, such as marrying a foreigner or building a nice and fast boat. :)

I hope you are kidding here. I can name several countries off hand that have a much higher standard of living than Cuba: Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico, Panama, Venezuela and Chile. I have been to or lived in all of those countries except for Chile. Furthermore, the lack of economic freedom in Cuba (as well as high prices) mean that the average Joe in Cuba certainly has less of an ability to prosper than individuals in those other countries (even Venezuela). About the only thing that Cuba has going for it that makes it less miserable is that it has a state-funded healthcare and education system. In fact, without those government subsidies, Cuba would have one of the lowest standards of livings in Latin America.

There are plenty of decent democracies in Latin America. I am certainly not opposed to lifting the Cuban embargo (it should have been done a long time ago). Yes, U.S. policy has fucked Cuba in a variety of ways pre-dating Castro, and it largely continues today. However, the Cuban people do not have a choice in the matter. They do not have the freedom to demand change or improve their economic situation.
Have you been to Cuba?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I needed a vacation.

Have you been to Cuba?

No I have not. As soon as I get a Colombian passport I will, though. Right now, I am not too keen on paying for multiple flights just to circumvent the stupid embargo. Whether I've been there or not (and I do know quite a lot of people who have been there) doesn't change the fact that Cuba's GDP per capita and standard of living is lower than the countries I listed.

Cuban's have learned to get by with a lot less, and the gap between the rich and the poor there is quite low, but their overall standard of living pales in comparison to many countries in Latin America. I will also tell you that I have studied Cuba extensively (dating back from when the U.S. loved to invade them and depose their governments and tax them to death) all the way to current times. I watched an interesting interview with Casto (the Oliver Stone one) just the other night. I am no Cuba hater by any means, but the facts are the facts. Do not confuse what little you've seen or heard with the actual economic realities of the place. It is a beautiful country with great people, but it is still an extremely poor nation that lags behind its peers in growth due to the U.S. embargo and the Cuban Communist system.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I didn't ask a single person what their nationality was while I was on the trip.

I can see why Cuba would be a sore spot for an American; Varadero (AFAIK) was paid for and built in large part by Americans.

Perhaps you shouldn't take the revolution so personally and just let it go. Even if they point another missile at you, let it go; hopefully NASA can blow it up or figure out a way to intercept and deactivate it first.

We Americans aren't the ones who were wronged, the Cuban people were, by the pre-Castro era.

Check out the recently released "Havana Nocturne" for the history of the Batista era, how the Cuban people were treated terribly and why they were wanting a revolution.

As the Cuban people labored under a violently repressive regime throughout the 1950s, Mob leaders Meyer Lansky and Charles "Lucky" Luciano turned their eye to Havana. To them, Cuba was the ultimate dream, the greatest hope for the future of the American Mob in the post-Prohibition years of intensified government crackdowns. But when it came time to make their move, it was Lansky, the brilliant Jewish mobster, who reigned supreme. Having cultivated strong ties with the Cuban government and in particular the brutal dictator Fulgencio Batista, Lansky brought key mobsters to Havana to put his ambitious business plans in motion.

Before long, the Mob, with Batista's corrupt government in its pocket, owned the biggest luxury hotels and casinos in Havana, launching an unprecedented tourism boom complete with the most lavish entertainment, the world's biggest celebrities, the most beautiful women, and gambling galore. But their dreams collided with those of Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, and others who would lead the country's disenfranchised to overthrow their corrupt government and its foreign partners?an epic cultural battle that English captures in all its sexy, decadent, ugly glory.

Bringing together long-buried historical information with English's own research in Havana?including interviews with the era's key survivors?Havana Nocturne takes readers back to Cuba in the years when it was a veritable devil's playground for mob leaders. English deftly weaves together the parallel stories of the Havana Mob?featuring notorious criminals such as Santo Trafficante Jr. and Albert Anastasia?and Castro's 26th of July Movement in a riveting, up-close look at how the Mob nearly attained its biggest dream in Havana?and how Fidel Castro trumped it all with the Cuban Revolution.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Like the idiot he is, the OP assumes that any Americans who disagree with him that Cuba is an unspoiled paradise with the happiest, most beautiful, most talented people on earth hate the country and support the embargo.

News flash fucktard, just because we don't kiss the feet of third world dictators doesn't mean we hate an entire country.

It's like talking to a 12 year old, everything is black and white to this asshole. Either we agree with him that Cuba is perfect or we hate it. What a moron.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I think the OP should go to Miami and get on his soapbox and start proselytizing about how wonderful Cuba is under Castro.

I will donate $50 toward a plane ticket, a soapbox, and a megaphone. Make sure to tell us when you go so we can alert the media.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000

I needed a vacation.

Have you been to Cuba?

No I have not. As soon as I get a Colombian passport I will, though. Right now, I am not too keen on paying for multiple flights just to circumvent the stupid embargo. Whether I've been there or not (and I do know quite a lot of people who have been there) doesn't change the fact that Cuba's GDP per capita and standard of living is lower than the countries I listed.

Cuban's have learned to get by with a lot less, and the gap between the rich and the poor there is quite low, but their overall standard of living pales in comparison to many countries in Latin America. I will also tell you that I have studied Cuba extensively (dating back from when the U.S. loved to invade them and depose their governments and tax them to death) all the way to current times. I watched an interesting interview with Casto (the Oliver Stone one) just the other night. I am no Cuba hater by any means, but the facts are the facts. Do not confuse what little you've seen or heard with the actual economic realities of the place. It is a beautiful country with great people, but it is still an extremely poor nation that lags behind its peers in growth due to the U.S. embargo and the Cuban Communist system.
I will tell you that you are less likely to contract a communicable disease in Cuba than pretty much anywhere in the southern hemisphere this side of the Atlantic or Pacific.

You are also very likely to run into educated people there.

I honestly don't think you're qualified to tell us what Cuba is like until you go there. I was personally shocked the first time I went there. I had a completely different picture of reality before I went.

We are shaped by our experiences and what we see, do, and hear. The media really is a powerful tool (and so is government propaganda).

If you're only listening to people who left and didn't like it there, what do you expect to hear? Do you expect them to tell you how much they regret leaving, and how they want to go back but can't? Probably not. They didn't like it there and in their eyes they had reason to leave. Talking about the good is probably painful for them as they no longer have it.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Like the idiot he is, the OP assumes that any Americans who disagree with him that Cuba is an unspoiled paradise with the happiest, most beautiful, most talented people on earth hate the country and support the embargo.

News flash fucktard, just because we don't kiss the feet of third world dictators doesn't mean we hate an entire country.

It's like talking to a 12 year old, everything is black and white to this asshole. Either we agree with him that Cuba is perfect or we hate it. What a moron.
I have yet to see you say an elite thing on these forums.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Craig234

We Americans aren't the ones who were wronged, the Cuban people were, by the pre-Castro era.

Check out the recently released "Havana Nocturne" for the history of the Batista era, how the Cuban people were treated terribly and why they were wanting a revolution.

As the Cuban people labored under a violently repressive regime throughout the 1950s, Mob leaders Meyer Lansky and Charles "Lucky" Luciano turned their eye to Havana. To them, Cuba was the ultimate dream, the greatest hope for the future of the American Mob in the post-Prohibition years of intensified government crackdowns. But when it came time to make their move, it was Lansky, the brilliant Jewish mobster, who reigned supreme. Having cultivated strong ties with the Cuban government and in particular the brutal dictator Fulgencio Batista, Lansky brought key mobsters to Havana to put his ambitious business plans in motion.

Before long, the Mob, with Batista's corrupt government in its pocket, owned the biggest luxury hotels and casinos in Havana, launching an unprecedented tourism boom complete with the most lavish entertainment, the world's biggest celebrities, the most beautiful women, and gambling galore. But their dreams collided with those of Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, and others who would lead the country's disenfranchised to overthrow their corrupt government and its foreign partners?an epic cultural battle that English captures in all its sexy, decadent, ugly glory.

Bringing together long-buried historical information with English's own research in Havana?including interviews with the era's key survivors?Havana Nocturne takes readers back to Cuba in the years when it was a veritable devil's playground for mob leaders. English deftly weaves together the parallel stories of the Havana Mob?featuring notorious criminals such as Santo Trafficante Jr. and Albert Anastasia?and Castro's 26th of July Movement in a riveting, up-close look at how the Mob nearly attained its biggest dream in Havana?and how Fidel Castro trumped it all with the Cuban Revolution.
IMO Cuba is the greatest banana republic in the Caribbean.

Really when you think of it, what can these islands produce, and how many people live on them?

I'm personally floored that the 13 million Cubans live as well as they do. Their exports are quality, and their people are quality. I come away impressed each time I go there.

I have heard Barbados is nice. Perhaps I'll go there next and post a thread with some thoughts.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I will tell you that you are less likely to contract a communicable disease in Cuba than pretty much anywhere in the southern hemisphere this side of the Atlantic or Pacific.

Which has nothing to do with standard of living, but rather the government's focus on health care. Healthcare is but one minor component of the standard of living of a country. What about economic and social development or freedom? What about access to markets with varied choices? What about the ability to communicate freely and cheaply? You cannot deny that the Cuban government has sharply limited imports of technology, automobiles, and millions of other normal daily products that are found in Latin Households all over the world. I have never said that Cubans cannot do more with less or that they live in abject poverty and mud huts. I am pointing out reality which is that their standard of living is not that high for Latin America. Until you have some actual figures or facts to prove something to the contrary my stance remains the same. Look at their GDP per capita, economic and press freedom indices, or even what a typical Latin family has in relation to a typical Cuban family. Once you can get past your emotional bias you will be able to look at this in an objective manner.

You think that because you have visited a few resort areas or households (who gladly took your convertible peso and used it to buy real food instead of the typical rice, beans, and a bit of meat) that you know how Cubans live when you are not around them. Most of that delicious Cuban food you ate is only available to those in the state government or tourists. Your average Cuban rarely -- if ever -- eats that way. Make a real connection with the people and get them to tell you the truth. Their choices for diet and normal everyday products is extremely limited.

You are also very likely to run into educated people there.

And I never said you were not. I have not criticized Cuba's educational system nor the healthcare system. We are speaking solely about the standard of living there vs. the rest of Latin America. Having a highly educated populace does not mean that your standard of living is higher than that of another country. Your point is a non sequitur. Many Latin countries have poor education systems but through natural resources, trade, larger markets, and sheer population they have a higher standard of living than Cuba.

I honestly don't think you're qualified to tell us what Cuba is like until you go there. I was personally shocked the first time I went there. I had a completely different picture of reality before I went.

I've been to -- and lived in -- a lot more of Latin America than you have, and I speak Spanish. I am pretty sure my understanding our Latin America and its standard of living is predicated on a lot more substance than your few casual visits to resort areas of Cuba. Simply because I choose to got to other places instead of Cuba does not preclude me from being informed on their history, standard of living, and reality. Would you actually argue that some dumb beloved patriot that has visited Cancun a couple of times knows more about the standard of living in Mexico than someone who has extensively studied it -- or better yet -- someone who has family and friends that live there yet has not been because they were not born there? Visiting a resort a few times and making a few day trips into the outskirts of the resort area hardly qualifies you to speak about Cuban policy OR their standard of living in relation to the rest of Latin America.

We are shaped by our experiences and what we see, do, and hear. The media really is a powerful tool (and so is government propaganda).

Which again has nothing to do with me nor this thread. You are creating strawmen about what you THINK that I am saying or what I think not the actual reality of what we are discussing.

If you're only listening to people who left and didn't like it there, what do you expect to hear?

Again, I am not sure why you are creating a strawman about what I said. I never said my experience was with Cuban exiles or people who have left. You are creating a delusional fantasy about what you THINK is my experience. I have studied at Universities with Cubans in Latin America as well as meeting and talking with quite a few overseas who still LIVE in Cuba but were away on business or vacation.

Do you expect them to tell you how much they regret leaving, and how they want to go back but can't? Probably not. They didn't like it there and in their eyes they had reason to leave. Talking about the good is probably painful for them as they no longer have it.

Seriously, go argue with someone else. You are not even addressing what I have said. It is laughable that you would even attempt to say Brazil (a country with enormous wealth disparity and one of the highest GINIs among countries of the Western Hemispehere) is a country with a high standard of living. I have had quite frank discussion with Cubans (exile and non-exiles), and I have studied in, lived in, and visited enough of Latin America to be able to make a fair comparison of Cuba to the rest of it.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Craig234

IMO Cuba is the greatest banana republic in the Caribbean.

Really when you think of it, what can these islands produce, and how many people live on them?

I'm personally floored that the 13 million Cubans live as well as they do. Their exports are quality, and their people are quality. I come away impressed each time I go there.

I have heard Barbados is nice. Perhaps I'll go there next and post a thread with some thoughts.

And if you knew anything about Cuba you'd know they are considerably poorer than they were generations ago and that their exports are a fraction of what the island used to produce. Look, I am not about to debate how fucked Cuba was by American policy or the amount of rich Cubans that completely screwed over the lower (and darker) classes. That is a given. The fact remains, however, that before Cuba switched to collective farming and state-run enterprises that the economy was much more varied and its usage of natural resources was much more efficient. Constant "expeditons" and American foreign policy snafus assured that their former riches remained in the hands of the elite which is the whole basis for why Batista got his ass-kicked and Castro was able to spark a big enough rebellion to take over the government and get the oligarchs out of town while enacting a complete social order change. The fact remains, however, that communism is a very poor idea for an economically isolated and island country.

Had Batista gotten thrown out and real democracy came into play, I have little doubt that Cuba would be one of the wealthiest countries in the Western Hemisphere. They had the infrastructure, education, natural resources, and foreign investment. Things did not play out that way, and you show a startling naivety by thinking that Cubans are now better off than they could have been -- or in many cases -- were.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Like I give a shit what you think, canuckitard.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Like I give a shit what you think, canuckitard.

waaaah

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
You should explain a bit more about your trip because honestly if I hear someone went to a 4-star "resort" I don't think they've really been to that country. It's like people who say they've been to Jamaica because they got off the cruise ship and into some compound where they stayed for a few hours.