New Core i5 2500k build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Thanks for the input man. Anyone agree to have the ram blowing towards the ram, or blowing towards the rear? I would think to have the fan to the rear, like DE said.

Fan mounted near memory, blowing through heatsink towards the rear case fan.

Snoopy's temps are right on the money. Good stuff this sandy bridge is.

Edit: Just read the OP's load temps and they are actually not that bad. I'd say you can start with remounting the fan, and see what kind of difference it makes. That actually might be enough to get your idle temps down a bit.

Last edited:

Flaus

Mar 27, 2011
mkXZ0LQAiAJ3BGfisDxj3-gFgCKAqwe6GwbyHdc6rD8
Fan mounted near memory, blowing through heatsink towards the rear case fan.

Snoopy's temps are right on the money. Good stuff this sandy bridge is.

Edit: Just read the OP's load temps and they are actually not that bad. I'd say you can start with remounting the fan, and see what kind of difference it makes. That actually might be enough to get your idle temps down a bit.

Alright. So I went ahead reoriented the 212+ to the "horizontal" (read: fan position blowing horizontally) orientation and checked the thermal compound spreading. It wasnt very "spread" at the edges of the processor, so I add 2 dots per the linked method. Put the fan on the heatsink so it is sucking in air over the memory, and blowing it thru the heatsink towards the rear-case fan. Attached are the new temps (these are all still at stock clock speed).

Stock clock speed, idle, heatsink reoriented
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mkXZ0LQAiAJ3BGfisDxj3w?feat=directlink

Stock clock speed, load, heatsink reoriented
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jNoOq1SFKluG8d_zpq1jmg?feat=directlink

From what I can see, it really did not make that much difference in idle temps. Load temps went down a couple C at idle. Is this normal, or still higher than it should be? Would switching to an H70 make much difference?

Heatsink original/Heatsink Reoriented
Temps at load Stock idle Stock load 4.2 idle 4.2 load Core 0 37/37 54/51 36 61 Core 1 32/33 53/50 30 61 Core 2 34/35 54/52 32 63 Core 3 33/34 54/52 32 60

Update: I tried for about 30 mins to figure out inserting images. I went to the FAQ to find the answer but the img /img in [] did not work for me. When I would preview the post, the image would disappear. Is it just because its in Picasa?

Screenshots

Last edited:

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
mkXZ0LQAiAJ3BGfisDxj3-gFgCKAqwe6GwbyHdc6rD8

Alright. So I went ahead reoriented the 212+ to the "horizontal" (read: fan position blowing horizontally) orientation and checked the thermal compound spreading. It wasnt very "spread" at the edges of the processor, so I add 2 dots per the linked method. Put the fan on the heatsink so it is sucking in air over the memory, and blowing it thru the heatsink towards the rear-case fan. Attached are the new temps (these are all still at stock clock speed).

Stock clock speed, idle, heatsink reoriented
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mkXZ0LQAiAJ3BGfisDxj3w?feat=directlink

Stock clock speed, load, heatsink reoriented
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jNoOq1SFKluG8d_zpq1jmg?feat=directlink

From what I can see, it really did not make that much difference in idle temps. Load temps went down a couple C at idle. Is this normal, or still higher than it should be? Would switching to an H70 make much difference?

Heatsink original/Heatsink Reoriented
Temps at load Stock idle Stock load 4.2 idle 4.2 load Core 0 37/37 54/51 36 61 Core 1 32/33 53/50 30 61 Core 2 34/35 54/52 32 63 Core 3 33/34 54/52 32 60

Update: I tried for about 30 mins to figure out inserting images. I went to the FAQ to find the answer but the img /img in [] did not work for me. When I would preview the post, the image would disappear. Is it just because its in Picasa?

Screenshots

Wow - I guess I was wrong about your idle temps. You were already as low as it was going to go. But your load temps came down 3 degrees, which is significant. Sure, an H70 would be cooler, but it's a lot of money to spend, and you don't need to drop your temps anymore. 50C at prime stock load is amazing. The idle temps are odd, but they really don't matter. That's cool enough that you aren't damaging anything anytime soon.

It's hard to figure out what you've pasted in about overclocking temps, but it looks like you're at 60-61C at 4.2 load. That's pretty good too. Is that the same as before? If so, I'm stumped, but I think you're fine. Just enjoy the new build!

Flaus

Mar 27, 2011
Wow - I guess I was wrong about your idle temps. You were already as low as it was going to go. But your load temps came down 3 degrees, which is significant. Sure, an H70 would be cooler, but it's a lot of money to spend, and you don't need to drop your temps anymore. 50C at prime stock load is amazing. The idle temps are odd, but they really don't matter. That's cool enough that you aren't damaging anything anytime soon.

It's hard to figure out what you've pasted in about overclocking temps, but it looks like you're at 60-61C at 4.2 load. That's pretty good too. Is that the same as before? If so, I'm stumped, but I think you're fine. Just enjoy the new build!

Sorry about that formatting. When I put it in, it was an excel table and looked normal. The 4.2GHz overclock temps were the auto-overclock tuned by ASRock in the Bios. I just set it to the 4.2GHz profile and let it go from there. The drop in load temps does seem pretty good. Knocking 3 degrees off (while not a lot) is still significant. There seemed to be a much stronger airflow pattern when i put my hand inside the case. I think a second front intake fan directly in front of the Hard-drives will also help. I thought about putting another fan on the heatsink for push/pull, but I think I might be approaching the dreaded fiance's "this computer is too loud" boundary, lol. Thanks for the help guys!

wpcoe

Nov 13, 2007
*IF* for some reason you wanted to keep the CM212 blowing vertically (from the bottom, pushing through the heat sink as recommended above), I'd consider also having a fan at the top of the case blowing out the top of the case, i.e. sucking the air out the top.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the case has grille openings at the top, but no fans attached to the underside of the grilles? Depending on the aerodynamics of the air flow in the case, you could end up with a zone of hot air trapped at the top of the case, possibly keeping the CPU temp higher than expected.

Sounds good. I will probably order another 120mm fan and slap that on the other side blowing air through the heatsink, to the other fan that is expelling it out of the back of the case.

FWIW, that horizontal, push-pull arrangement is the way I have my CM212+ on my system in my signature.